Restore Points from Backup that doesn't exist-how to remove?

extraoneya

Hi

Have had this problem for years. 5 of my 7 restore points are from sys images that I no longer have (3 yrs old). These do not delete using Win system tools or CC Cleaner.

How do I remove these worthless restore points from taking up room in my sys restore settings cache? See attached. TIA

post-388150-0-20246600-1392521201_thumb.

How about temporarily turning off System Restore? When I did it on Win 8, all the restore points were deleted!

Of course you can always turn it on again after that and create new restore points.

via winPE

thats how I got ridd of my WinME & XP restore points :P

and I was running "7"

thanks for the reply, but I don't want to install another OS

How about temporarily turning off System Restore? When I did it on Win 8, all the restore points were deleted!

Of course you can always turn it on again after that and create new restore points.

Did that several times in several ways, w/o getting rid of the backup ones.

@extraoneya, have you tried to go through the instructions here, which shows how to delete all previous restore points? Then you can create a new manual restore point to use as a new starting point.

Before you create a new manual restore point, you can also take Aloha's suggestion to temporarily disable System Restore, reboot, and check and make sure that C:\hiberfil.sys is deleted. (It's normally a hidden system file so be sure that "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is UN-checked in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced.) Then you should be able to re-enable System Restore and continue.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

winPE isn't a OS :)

its sorta rescue disc (live cd), which loads Windows UI from CD/DVD

thus you can delete, rename and modify files that are usually locked

OK, I remember it now. But it’s not that they are locked. I have a unlocking utility & if I could get to them maybe unlocking & then deleting would work. If I knew where they were & are accessible, could do that.

What I think is happening is this;

Those old restore points were made automatically at the time I made the system images. Those restore points don’t want to disappear unless they’re removed by going though Win Backup & they find their old linkage w/ those backups that made them. I remember that there is a box that asks you if you want to delete or overwrite a particular dated backup.

However, I didn’t delete those backups from the backup program, but rather through Windows Explorer or just trashed the USB drives they were on.

@extraoneya, have you tried to go through the instructions here, which shows how to delete all previous restore points? Then you can create a new manual restore point to use as a new starting point.

Before you create a new manual restore point, you can also take Aloha's suggestion to temporarily disable System Restore, reboot, and check and make sure that C:\hiberfil.sys is deleted. (It's normally a hidden system file so be sure that "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is UN-checked in Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced.) Then you should be able to re-enable System Restore and continue.

Cheers and Regards

Yup...been there & done ALL the published solutions, shut down Sys Restore, decreased the size, used disk cleanup, used other utilities...etc.....etc...

See above for why I think they don't want to leave the comforts of where ever they call home. :crazy:

I actually have this problem on 2 separate computers, both running win7 Pro x64. I haven't seen any reference to anyone else having the Identical issue.

I was wrong above, the restore points are actually stored in System Volume Information. Sorry for any confusion.

Be sure you have tried all four methods described here - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/336-system-protection-restore-points-delete.html

1) Through System Protection to Delete All Restore Points
2) Through Disk Cleanup to Delete All Restore Points
3) Using "CCleaner" to Delete Individual Restore Points
4) Using "System Restore Explorer" to Delete Individual Restore Points

Cheers and Regards

I was wrong above, the restore points are actually stored in System Volume Information. Sorry for any confusion.

Be sure you have tried all four methods described here - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/336-system-protection-restore-points-delete.html

1) Through System Protection to Delete All Restore Points

2) Through Disk Cleanup to Delete All Restore Points

3) Using "CCleaner" to Delete Individual Restore Points

4) Using "System Restore Explorer" to Delete Individual Restore Points

Cheers and Regards

#1-3, check (the backup points never show up in these utilites)

#4, ah, a new utility, shows promise!

See 1st cap for all the dead/backup generated points on this puter (more points can't be seen, as well as the few good points)

See 2nd cap for the results of what Sys Restore Explr. shows (the same as all other utilites) :wacko::crazy:

post-388150-0-81245000-1392685250_thumb.

post-388150-0-55634300-1392685270_thumb.

Just for grins.....

since bphlpt said be sure....for the 1,768th time, I went through sys protection to delete ALL points in both C & D drives...to see the points STILL present, see the 1st screen cap in my above post ?!!()!&!!?>

If I knew where they were

use any fast search (not microsofts) that reads hidden data

put in search field: _restore

I show All System Files & display extensions in Win Explr, is that what u mean? I thought there was a prob in manually deleting them or it wasn't possible???

Edited by extraoneya

I thought there was a prob in manually deleting them or it wasn't possible???

thats why I said to do it from WinPE

as you can't unlock those from OS itself, apps like unlocker won't help you

Edited by vinifera

I thought there was a prob in manually deleting them or it wasn't possible???

thats why I said to do it from WinPE

as you can't unlock those from OS itself, apps like unlocker won't help you

But will WinPE. expose those retore points that all the other utilities failed to show??...that's what's been happening to me for years. As I show above, none of these apps sdisplay the points made by Win Backup.

If, using WinPE, looking in "System Volume Information" on ALL disks in your system do not show those restore points the other utilities do not show, then it seems that those restore points might be "phantom" restore points that actually don't exist anymore. It reminds me of what happens when you delete an app manually by deleting it's folder in "Program Files". If afterwards you go to "Programs and Features" and try to delete it there you get a "that program does not exist" type of message and it offers to delete the entry. If you go through all the steps to delete all restore points, then you double check with WinPE to make sure that nothing exists in all the "System Volume Information" folders, but they still show up in "System Restore", then it is acting as if it has a list of restore points in the registry or some place, but I'm not aware that actually happens and I can find nothing online that says that it does, so I'm very confused.

I don't know if this would work, but, using WinPE, or a live Linux disc, you might be able to completely delete all "System Volume Information" folders on your system and let them be recreated then as necessary. But I suppose that could also completely hose your system, so be careful and only proceed if you have appropriate backups available.

Cheers and Regards