Jerky Unstable Video on x64 Ultimate

Jody Thornton

A video issue that I've come across is causing me a bit of grief:

On my Vista x64 Ultimate installation, I use a fairly capable PCI video card (an old bus I know, but it works for me no worse than any PCI-E card I've ever stuck in it.). I'm using an nVidia GeForce 6200 on an HP xw8200 Workstation. I have 512 mb of RAM on the video adapter and 7 gb of DDR2 system RAM on the board.

Here's what happens (and it took me QUITE awhile to trace down this iussue). When I enable memory remapping in the Bios to above 4G, the video becomes jerky when there is motion (scrolling or dragging windows). It will stop moving momentarily and resume mvement, or else it leaves severe trails while moving. In the process of tracking this issue down, I swapped out the card with two PCI-E cards: an ATI Radeon Sapphire of sorts and an nVidia Quadro 1300. I had the same symptoms on the Quadro, but not the ATI. Both of these cards had 128 mb of onboard memory. The ATI seemed to overheat mind you, as I received the appropriate beep codes every now and then. So I didn't want to continue using it.

On both nVidia cards however, I found that if I defeated the memory remapping feature, the video worked flawlessly. My system ran with aplomb (even with Aero): HOWEVER, I only have use of 3 gb of RAM. Oh sure, if I go to "Computer" properties, it says 7 gb, but if I go to Task Manager -> Performance, it shows total swap (really memory [i have my swap file disabled]) as 3003 mb. As soon as I renable memory remapping in the bios, my total commit size returns to 6597 mb (7 gb minus video which is correct). However, the jerky video resumes.

Last year, I performed a test installation of Vista x64 and at the time, I was using an nVidia GeForce MX 4000 PCI card with 64 mb of RAM. Although it was a tad challeged with Aero, it worked PERFECTLY with Vista Basic, which I was happy with. That card began to fail shortly thereafter, so I replaced it with the GeForce 6200.

Keep in mind that the nVidia card that I am now experiencing these issues with under Vista x64 Ultimate, worked PERFECTLY with XP Pro x64 Edition. I have tried multiple drivers (the WDDM drivers supplied with Vista, and several Forceware generations including the latest and greatest.) I have ensured 3D generation was always set to "Performance"

I wonder what gives?

Edited by JodyThornton

With DirectX 11, that feature is disabled (unlike XP). Apparently Vista and 7 render to the screen in a new way, thereby disallowing the defeat of Hardware Acceleration). Also keep in mind, it works as intended when memory remapping is defeated, so I don't think a band-aid solution should be necessary. It should work on x64 with memory remapping enabled

Not that I don't appreciate your tips submix8c. I'm justy saying I hope to find a true cause and solution, that's all.

Edited by JodyThornton

By video you mean flash based video like youtube or the card is rendering very slow regardless of what you are having on your display?
Just for your information: only from geforce 8xxx and up you have the GPU rendering youtube videos, anything older is rendered by the CPU.

By video, are we talking about YouTube displayed in a browser or local video displayed in a video player like MPC or VLC? In either case does it make a difference in which browser or player you use?

I understand from your comments about proper behavior on XP Pro x64 Edition that this does seem like a driver issue. The latest driver might not be the best, but I know you said you have tried several.

Cheers and Regards

Hi bphlpt:

I appreciate the help you and submix8c have offered (it's very kind of both of you). It has nothing to do with browser plugins. The jerky, stuttered motion (or sometimes lack thereof), happens either when I scroll up or down in any app (word processor, Notepad, or Internet Explorer) or when I drag a window (yes I have "show all contents while dragging" enabled).

When I turn off Memory Remapping in my bios, it works perfectly, but then I only have 3 gb of RAM available. Then when I renable Memory Reapping, I get my 7 gb of RAM back, but along come the video problems again.

To be clear, I should say "display" instead of video. And I'm using an x64 build of Vista.

By video you mean flash based video like youtube or the card is rendering very slow regardless of what you are having on your display?

Just for your information: only from geforce 8xxx and up you have the GPU rendering youtube videos, anything older is rendered by the CPU.

It doesn't matter what shows on the screen. The display shows stuttered movement of dragging windows and scroll bars.

Were you able to find the Hotfix?

Here are links to two hotfixes that may apply:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594

I wonder if you just need to update Device Manager. Maybe check these links:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732022

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1770061/8350-cpu-drivers.html#.

Jody, I THINK I understand what you are saying, but could you perhaps capture a "screenvid", ie video screenshot, showing examples of the exact type of movements that cause the jerky displays and put it up on YouTube or someplace? I know doing so won't really directly help anything, but it might make sure folks don't get distracted trying to figure out exactly what you mean, rather than coming up with solutions.

Cheers and Regards