At a road block

JRO

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-Z505RX slim laptop, it had windows 98 on it, I decided to upgrade it to windows me. Sounds simple, but there is a huge catch to this particular laptop. there is no floppy drive and there is no cd rom, sure when it came out there was a cd rom an floppy drive for this laptop, but i have never had. It has 1 usb port. In the cmos your boot options is, atapi cd rom, floppy drive, an hard drive. So i can not even boot from a usb flash drive.

What i did was burn windows me from an img file to a dvd, then i copied all the files on to usb. Then i went to the drive letter of the flash drive which was D an started the setup, everything was going fine untill it hit 90 percent , it came up with a SUwin error.

now the laptop when restarted only comes up to the C prompt. I know there is a command line that might work to invoke the usb port, but i do not know what the command line is or if it will even work, because as of this moment the usb port is dead because it is only controled by a command line, from the C prompt it does not reconise the usb port at all.

If anyone could give me some guidence on this i would greatly appreciate it.

So what was the exact SUWIN error? There are many reasons/code for that. It "kind of" sounds like you were doing an upgrade?

it only said suwin error, it didnt show a code or anything, an yes i was doing an upgrade

tengo un setupact.log y un setuperr.log, esos son los únicos 2 que tengo

eso es lo que me muestra comando Editar Windows C using

the setuperr.log it does not show anything: it is empty.

the setupact.log says: - winnt32 installation has begun

(sigh...)

Those are XP logs and exist NOT on C:\ (the ROOT of ther HDD) but in the "C:\WINDOWS" folder! "WINNT32" is SPECIFICALLY a Windows XP Upgrade and dows NOT have (AFAIK) any SUWIN files!

I SAID "SETUPLOG.TXT", a entirely DIFFERENT Filename and found EXACTLY where I SAID it would be at "C:\SETUPLOG.TXT"!

HOW in the WORLD did you get those "LOG" files from a Win98->WinME upgrade? THEY WOULD NOT EXIST!

edit - FYI, that file BETTER exist for BOTH Win9x -and- WinME!!!

Try again... ;) you don't have any Win9x on that Laptop otherwise. You have done something highly questionable?

Edited by submix8c

ok, i found the one you were meaning, my mistake. I can view it useing the edit command. Is there a special line that i am to be looking for.

I really do appreciate the help

submix8c said;

"Those are XP logs"...

Err, those logs can be generated during a Windows 2000 install/upgrade.

(Please take in the relevant parts of this webpage...) Ref;

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/WW/sampchap/2538a.aspx

""WINNT32" is SPECIFICALLY a Windows XP Upgrade"...

No, Ref;

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-2000/command-line-parameters-for-winntexe-and-winnt32exe-a-windows-2000-technology-showcase-127946

"HOW ...did you get those "LOG" files from a Win98->WinME upgrade? THEY WOULD NOT EXIST!"

(Quite true, so is it possible JRO may have actually placed Windows 2000

or XP [in some form] onto his USB flash stick?)

Shouldn't he try a DIR and a VER and so on to see what is there on the

Hard drive and what he can access from his C ommand Prompt?

Regarding the 'Diskette' boot setting in that BIOS - that notebook apparently

at that setting usually boots off a 'floppy drv connected via the PC Card port'.

Here are helpful refs for that notebook;

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0d7tsFJng

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=PCGZ505RX&LOC=3#/howtoTab

Here are all the (info about) connections he possibly could ever have;

on main unit left side;
1 x DC in 19.5V DC
1 x Proprietary Docking Port/Replicator connector
1 x iLink S200 IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 4 pin FireWire, non-powered
1 x microphone Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm,
1 x Headphones - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
1 x type II PC Card slot, (CardBus support)
1 x Sony Memory Stick slot, 4MB to 32MB?
on main unit right side;
1x USB - standard Type A, (disables when replicator unit connected?)
1x USB - Mini (A? or B?) ? ? ?
1 x Network -Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - (Proprietary connector to RJ-45)
1 x Infrared - IrDA 115 kbps to 4 Mbps
1 x Internal Modem V90 56Kflex- Phone line - RJ-11
on main unit under keyboard;
1 x PC66/100 SDRAM Memory slot (Fixed 64MB + 1 x insertable = 128MB to 192Mb?)
on Replicator unit;
1 x iLink S200 connector (not concurrently usable when main unit iLink populated?)
1 x Parallel - IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) - 25 pin D-Sub (DB-25),
1 x Serial - RS-232 - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9),
1 x Display / video - VGA Output - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15),
1 x USB - 4 pin USB standard Type A

Edited by buyerninety

Look for your SUWIN error number in the log file and/or the last few lines logged is where it died - what does it say?

What i did was burn windows me from an img file to a dvd, then i copied all the files on to usb.

And then you should have copied those files from the USB drive further onto the hard drive so they would be found in the second portion of the installation process. Big mistake not doing this and then running the setup executable from the USB drive instead of the hard drive. That's two really big mistakes.

now the laptop when restarted only comes up to the C prompt. I know there is a command line that might work to invoke the usb port, but i do not know what the command line is or if it will even work, because as of this moment the usb port is dead because it is only controled by a command line, from the C prompt it does not reconise the usb port at all.

You won't get USB 2 from DOS mode working IIRC, at best all I ever heard of was limited USB 1 with 9x. Up to you to find even USB 1 in DOS mode commands as I know nothing of it. Seems like you would need those specialized driver files on the hard drive in order to install and use them anyway. AFAICT, time to pull the hard drive, use another laptop to format it with system files so it can boot DOS, and copy ME files to it, put it back in this laptop and this time around be sure to have the USB drive in your pocket when running setup.exe. Or put in a floppy or CDROM drive and start all over as well. Ya killed it real good though, if that counts for anything.

Believe it or not, I came up with a goose egg searching this forum.

All I could get before google went down....

http://hddguru.com/software/2006.02.09-USBASPI-MS-DOS-Driver/

yes, i agree, now that you mentioned it. years ago when i was going to upgrade software or even a fresh install i use to make a special folder on the harddrive an put everything there, an then work out of that folder. This is the link to the page where i got the Windows ME upgrade that i was trying to put on this laptop.

<link to warez removed>

When I am at the C prompt an I type in VER, It says - Windows 98 , Ver 4.10.2222 if that helps

I will stay logged in here on this page to see what my next step should be

To The Admins and or Mods Of This Forum.

I find it really sad that you Ban a person because they posted a link on there post, Showing the Gentelmen that was trying to help solve a problem , Where he got the Operateing system from that he had used trying to do an upgrade. You did not even have the decency to let him know that it was not allowed, Or even the send an email notifying him of the action. That does not show as a good sign of your moderateing.

It shows that you just prefer to leave people hanging out in limbo an not care one bit wether they were able to get the problem solved. This is in hopes that oneday, You yourself will need or require some help, And maybe with some luck, I will be the one that see´s you when you are faced with a road block. I am sure you will also suspend or block this screen name as well, and that is fine, because it is your forum to operate an control as you see fit, the same way i do in my forums and Iboards. But let me leave this with you, Nothing is ever 100 percent secure. A copy of this entire thread is being posted across other forums where people look for help.

yours

JRO

To The Admins and or Mods Of This Forum. [...] You did not even have the decency to let him know that it was not allowed, [...]

Just for the record, as a matter of fact, we did so. It's Rule # 1a.

You've agreed to it each time you've joined the forum.

And now you're banned on Rule # 4b, to which you've also agreed.

You agreed to follow the rules of this forum and rule #1 very clearly states we do not condone or allow warez.

There is no excuse for thievery and I have no compassion for you.

Don't steal! Go out and buy a actual, legal copy.

Now since you got busted you come back whining and threatening for something that's ultimately your fault?

Please go outside and do some maturing....