XP Event Log entries' help links no longer working?

Dave-H

@GrofLuigi

Thanks very much for that, at least it will be a useful fall-back to make the links meaningful again if MS don't get their own links working again in XP!

BTW I tried the equivalent links on a friend's Windows 7 machine, and they do work there, going to the newly formatted pages on Technet.

@jaclaz

Yes, some of the suggestions were next to useless, but that always seems to be the case with generic help files, wherever they're from.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I had an update on my Technet forum thread posted by Bruno at MS this morning, and he says someone at MS has checked and the links are working.

I've just checked, and now they are!

The thread is here.

They seem to be saying that they should always have been working and it was probably a temporary fault, but if it was it lasted for many many weeks!

I would like to think that they've seen they were wrong and have just quietly updated them, which is a good result if it's true!

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by Dave-H

• 1 year later...

The XP Event Log links seem to have died again now.

They all now seem to produce -

"404 - File or directory not found."

Have MS finally switched off the context sensitive online help for XP?

I think they may well have died exactly a year after EOS, they've certainly not been working for a while now.

:(

Edited by Dave-H

The XP Event Log links seem to have died again now.

They all now seem to produce -

"404 - File or directory not found."

Have MS finally switched off the context sensitive online help for XP?

I think they may well have died exactly a year after EOS, they've certainly not been working for a while now.

Not working for me as well.....I get the same response "404-File or directory not found"

Thanks, I suspect that confirms it.

I have posted to the two MS forum threads I asked about this on last year.

Hopefully we can get clarification as to whether this facility is now officially dead.

Well sometimes they did indeed just go to a page which said that no further information was available, but they did often take you to a page which explained what the error message was about and suggest solutions.

Obviously a web search on the error would do the job just as well, maybe better, but I still think that this facility should work if it's still being offered to the user, at least until all the relevant information about XP is removed from Microsoft's servers, which I hope won't happen for many years yet!

Well, it's not quite as convenient as having the fields prepopulated, but would typing stuff in at https://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx    be checking the same database? I've never actually seen anything other than 404 from the links in the property sheet so I'm not sure where it used to have gone.