Intel 82865G Graphics on Windows 95

Pcgar095

Sorry if this got posted twice! :D

Has anyone had any luck getting this chipset to natively work on windows 95? I'm trying to load this on an Dell Optiplex GX270. The last time I tried this was when installing the graphics driver, but didn't work since it complain of a missing dll when trying to launch igfxtray. The driver refuses to load without this.

Could someone please help me into to getting this to work? Windows 95 is my favorite version of Win9x, and would much rather use it on this machine rather than xp which is slow as hell under 512 MB of RAM.

*Also I am aware of the Vemp 9x Drivers, but trying to get the real driver to work because these drivers have this glitch that causes the entire screen to go black when opening a dos prompt, doesn't even work when executing a dos game under windows! :no:

Edited by Pcgar095

Well, the download is only for 98SE and ME, so :unsure:. Could you say WHICH DLL is "missing"?

I happen to have an HP that has that chipset/video. I'm not so sure that the IGFXTRAY is absolutely necessary. It has an "exit" selection upon right-click, and in the "Control Panel->Display Properties->Settings->Advanced" the tab for that has a "Start in Tray" tick-mark that can be deselected so the Tray doesn't even start. This is with XP, BTW. Have you, by chance, confirmed that the DRIVER is functional/non-functional, disregarding the Tray Program?

Edited by submix8c

Naw don't worry about it, I'll just use windows xp on my other compaq computer that's newer with an amd64 processor, and has 2.50 GB of RAM. It can still play dos games with vmdsound, and still do any modern task! The truth is that I would try to get windows 98 running the dell if only realtek audio driver complaining about a missing ntkern.vxd mmdevldr.vxd. I didn't bother.

Anyway windows 95 was a stable os at it's time, but it seems to be dead and buried when attempting to use it for anything modern, mostly the web. XP on the other hand will be useable for many years to come!

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Pcgar095

Has anyone had any luck getting this [intel 8265] chipset to natively work on windows 95? I'm trying to load this on an Dell Optiplex GX270. The last time I tried this was when installing the graphics driver, but didn't work since it complain of a missing dll when trying to launch igfxtray. The driver refuses to load without this.

:no:

Did you look to see if Intel supported that chipset for Win 95? I'm assuming Dell doesn't, but if Intel does then you would have a good chance.

I have a Dell 2400 running Win98 (actually, 98SE2ME as of tonight) by that route. Dell denies knowledge of the 82845 chipset for Win 98 but Intell supports it and with a few flip-flops and some standing on my head, it works.