Know Any Windows 8.1 File System Performance Tweaks?

NoelC

Keep in mind this thread is about getting the maximum speed out of the I/O subsystem.

I've had experience with plenty of HDDs and the NTFS compression always slows down operations. I don't care what's written, I've seen it in action. From what I can see, it's typical Microsoft implementation. Works, but isn't fast, and isn't all that good at compressing things either.

-Noel

Well, I had a look at the WinSxS folder and it seems that it isn't compressed at all. Strange... Once that I had a look at it in the past it was compressed - I think so at least, of course I have done a restore with Macrium Reflect Free afterwards after installing Windows 8.1 in order to revert to Windows 8, so I don't know.

I know most all of the Windows configuration processes, how to adjust process priorities, etc. That's not really what the problem is, as far as I can see. The problem seems to be that Windows is doing a lot more work inside the NTFS implementation for certain operations to achieve the exact same goals (e.g., enumerating files inside a folder, which happens all the time and thus affects a lot of different things).

However, thanks for the tip. Perhaps I'll test that program in a VM and see what it tweaks. Maybe they've found something else to tweak that I don't yet know about.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

I did a restore from my laptop's hidden partition and, after updating Windows 8 and cleaning Windows Update with the Disc Cleanup tool the result for the WinSxS folder is 11.6 GB actual size and 10.9 GB disk space, so it does become compressed after all.

• 2 months later...

I've noticed another degradation in file enumeration speed.

Enumerating files from the root of the hard drive is now MUCH slower than it once was, topping out at about 8000 files / second even after the data has been cached into RAM.  This is now only 25% of the performance I was seeing in Windows 7.

It's not my particular OS setup that's slowing down, it's something in the file system design/implementation. 

I 've just completed testing with various operating systems on the very same hardware.  Windows 7 and 8(.0) are still as fast as ever, even fully updated.  A clean, fresh Windows 8.1 is something like 3 times slower on the same hardware, and after all updates it's a whopping 6 times slower.

Windows 8.1 is not only slower than its predecessors - it's growing more sluggish. 

And I don't think it's just File Explorer that's affected.

Is this an initiative by Microsoft to slow down File Explorer gradually so they can say the next new system is faster?

-Noel

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 twice and then reverted to Windows 8. Degraded performance, many removed features, lots of bugs (which at least where corrected with the subsequent updates)... In my opinion Windows 8.1 is rather a free downgrade to Windows 8 than an upgrade. My laptop came with Windows 8 and will stay with them as much as possible, no matter how much Microsoft urges for the free "upgrade". Let's hope that Windows 8.2 and Windows 9 will be a different story. :ph34r:

I've called Microsoft out on it on their forums.  Let's see if they will make it faster in the next update or the one after that.

It's hard to be too terribly upset, since 8.1 is quite stable now, and most I/O operations aren't slowed as much as the enumerations appear to be.  Still, it would be nice if it were as fast as it could be AND stable.  :yes:

-Noel

Thanks for checking.  This is as it should be.  I can reproduce that in a Win 8.0 VM on the very same hardware that will only count up 8,000 files/second running Win 8.1.

Fortunately, in further testing I've seen programs such as grepWin enumerate all the files on the disk (e.g., during a search) at a MUCH faster pace, so I can only assume it has something to do with the implementation of File Explorer itself.  GrepWin enumerates all 900,000 files on C: in 23 seconds.  I guess I shouldn't let it bother me. 

I don't know why this particular function is slowed down so much in Win 8.1.  I have never run across anything that justifies it.

And something in the file system implementation just got a bit faster with the latest (June) Windows 8.1 updates.  I've been able to measure file access improvements of about 5% across the board (confirmed on several different systems).  Other than the File - Properties enumeration other I/O operations are almost up to the performance levels I was seeing with Windows 7.

Compare this graph to the one I got when I started this thread that showed disk access down to about 100 MB/sec.

PerformanceTest%20Advanced%20Workstation

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 2 months later...

Cool, thanks Andre!  I've requested it, and I will report back (assuming it doesn't turn my system into hamburger).

A web search doesn't turn up much in the way of people discussing this one yet.  I did watch that little defrag video segment, and it was very basic indeed.

I look forward to seeing how this affects my file system access.

If you don't hear back from me in a few days, send a...

3302234314_b5f8002ed7.jpg

-Noel

Dang, couldn't even get out of the starting blocks...

KB2981965WillNotInstall.png

Not sure what else to do...  It wouldn't install in either my Win 8.1 Enterprise VM or my Win 8.1 Pro Media Center Edition workstation, with the same (above) error.

I'll bet it's either because I took that stupid upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center Edition, or because a subsequent update has altered Ntoskrnl.

My Ntoskrnl is 6.3.9600.17238. not the 6.3.9600.17237 the article claims is required.

Guess I'll have to wait for this to come out in a typical Windows Update.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC