Setup from ISO

dgoiko

Hello.

I've noticed that methods like WinSetupFromUSB put my W7 instalation isos inside the cd without extracting the files, while Microsoft's software extract the files from the iso to the usb.

Is there any difference in performance between them? For me it looks like unextracted iso will be slower, am I right? and if I am, how bad it is?

Using the ISO method simply "mounts" it. Be aware that it has to be a contiguous file. I/O will therefore be absolutely no different except going through the "minimal" mount software. The big difference will be how the USB boots and the fact that you would be able to (:unsure:) change the contents of the MS way, since the files will be directly available, unlike an ISO needing "rebuilt".

Choose your own poison. ;) I prefer the ISO way.

Actually the ISO file is mounted by ImDisk once PE is loaded, and does not have to be contiguous. In all latest versions none of the NT6 files has to be contiguous, grub4dos loads only bootmgr which does the rest- loading the relevant boot.wim etc.

This method might have some disadvantages, e.g. not supporting heavily modified sources, having multiple boot.wim's but seems to be the most convenient way to have multiple sources of this type and works quite reliably.

:blink: Scroll down to Post#6 - The ISO is loaded first pre-PE to GET to PE, then PE (basically) re-iterates the process from files on the USB. I use the Firadisk method. Take a look at the Sample MENU.LST. ;)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170809-multiple-windows-7-versions-on-same-iso-unattended-product-key/

@ilko_t - you must have missed that one. :yes:

edit - Firadisk does require contiguous...

BTW, why are you making a NEW TOPIC (that one above is yours too)? Just to ask "which is better"?

Edited by submix8c

@submix8c

Which menu.lst? :unsure:

There is not one in post #6 in that thread, which however can be referenced as:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170809-multiple-windows-7-versions-on-same-iso-unattended-product-key/?p=1065445

Maybe (please read as "undoubtedly") you are putting together (mixing them) different methods.

Ilko_t was making reference to WinSetupFromUSB (and WITHOUT specifying it, to it's latest version(s)), whilst in the other thread you are talking of various methods/ways by Steve6375-

I would presume that the Author of WinSetupfromUSB has a (vague) idea how the tool he himself wrote works. :whistle:

I would say that FAQ#11 is related:

http://www.winsetupfromusb.com/faq/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

To (once again) clarify -

The OP has ANOTHER topic (the one I linked to) and at the particular POST are the link to what I DOWNLOADED. That INCLUDES the links to "WinsetupfromUSB", that COPIES said FOLDERS to the USB. Yes, the "sample" MENU.LST is in the "package" linked to. The OP is simply wasting a Topic with a question that COULD have been asked in said Topic. The Original Request was "satisfied" in the other topic.

Clear? :yes:

edit - ...and I will revisit said process - it MAY simply be "XCTL-ing" to the DVD-boot. :unsure:

- RMPrepUSB (included in the WinSetupfromUSB "package") is used + "FiraISO" in said "process"

Please note Post#1

I've noticed that methods like WinSetupFromUSB<snip>Microsoft's software extract<snip>any difference in performance between
Edited by submix8c

Sure, and that is ANOTHER topic.

You are (were) mixing things without referencing to the OTHER thread.

It is only logic that ilko_t - even without clearly making reference to it - talks here of the way WinSetupFromUSB uses, since anyway it was explicitly cited in the OP.

I've noticed that methods like WinSetupFromUSB put my W7 instalation isos inside the cd without extracting the files, while Microsoft's software extract the files from the iso to the usb.

jaclaz