Firefox 3.6.xx - Losing support from modern websites?

ironman14

I believe the really early versions of Pale Moon will run on Windows 98SE without KernelEx, seems to be it follows Firefox so after version 2, it won't work anymore unless you use KernelEx. I'm a regular Pale Moon user myself, both on 98SE and 2000.

On 98, I use the Portable version 3.6 and for the installed version, I use 6. 7 seems just a tad buggy for me but 6 is pretty stable despite the handicap of not memorizing websites or using favorites.

Edited by Tommy

I believe the really early versions of Pale Moon will run on Windows 98SE without KernelEx, seems to be it follows Firefox so after version 2, it won't work anymore unless you use KernelEx. I'm a regular Pale Moon user myself, both on 98SE and 2000.

On 98, I use the Portable version 3.6 and for the installed version, I use 6. 7 seems just a tad buggy for me but 6 is pretty stable despite the handicap of not memorizing websites or using favorites.

Yes, older versions based around 3.x will work on 9x. However those builds are just straight up forks of Firefox 3, so compatibility wise you gain nothing.

(Typing this off from 3.6.28)

Has anyone noticed that Youtube has officially gone HTML5 as of today or yesterday?

On one of my win-98 systems, I can't play youtube videos with FF 2.0.0.20.

But on another system - I can. I apparently have flash 10,3,183,86 installed.

Has anyone noticed that Youtube has officially gone HTML5 as of today or yesterday?

On 3.6.28, I can still change player type here: https://www.youtube.com/html5

Videos play fine, but commenting, video manager page, and notifications are messed up. I use YT in Iron/Chrome, but it would be pretty nice to have access to it here in 3.6. Any workarounds?

Aside YouTube, most other sites are fine for me.

Edited by 11ryanc

• 4 weeks later...

Youtube videos stopped working for me a few weeks. I'm using FF 3.6.28, Flash Player 10.2.159 and Flashblock 1.5.17.

What annoys me is that the videos that I'm interested (old songs) would work fine except I can no longer click on the Flashblock 'f' to get them started. I've tried Vlc and that crashed. Is there any solution?

Dunno if it works in such old Firefox versions but it's worth a try: install the FlashGot extension, configure it to enable media download toolbar button (in Options > FlashGot Media tab) and you should see a flashing button in the toolbar when the page contains any videos. Right-click it > Available formats and select a format that suits you (I usually choose MP4).

This way you can download the video files and watch them locally with your favorite player (and not to mention keep them stored in case they pull the video at a later time).

Personally I keep the Flash permanently disabled through QuickJava, because I do not trust that technology at all and it never worked smoothly for as long as I know it.