Google account: skip phone verification

phaolo

Hello,
I'm trying to make another Google mail and G+ accounts for work.
I don't want to provide my phone number, is it still possible to skip the verification? :blink:

p.s: has Google abandoned its "don't be evil" philosophy? After G+, Youtube, now this.. I'm starting to hate it.. > :(

(but I'm currently forced to used it for both YouTube and work contacts)

Edited by phaolo

Apparently it isn't an option anymore. I read many posts on Google Groups that pretty much say you are SOL if you don't want to put in a phone number. I even have this issue (partially) as Google had once asked me to put in my phone number but I refused so then they suspended my account on Google+. It's fine as I don't use Google+ but when they had recently did their account merge with G+, Gmail and Youtube, it ended up suspending my Youtube account too! I can still use Gmail tho...

I guess I will just have to live without being able to like or upload videos.

I'm holding out hope that maybe the button isn't showing up for you guys because of a browser issue or NoScript or something :no: Not looking forward to the next time they pull this stunt on me.

Apparently it isn't an option anymore. I read many posts on Google Groups that pretty much say you are SOL if you don't want to put in a phone number. I even have this issue (partially) as Google had once asked me to put in my phone number but I refused so then they suspended my account on Google+. It's fine as I don't use Google+ but when they had recently did their account merge with G+, Gmail and Youtube, it ended up suspending my Youtube account too! I can still use Gmail tho...

I guess I will just have to live without being able to like or upload videos.

Another nice surprise from Google this year.. that's why we need competition and alternatives.

Too bad that G is buying everything.. :(

Thanks for the info.

Just created an account for my granddaughter (her name, my access) Jan-23 for something called "xtramath" and didn't have to do that. Did you actually list "mobile phone"? Again, there is absolutely NO WAY to give a Mobile Phone # if you only have a "wired" land line. You're doing something wrong. ;)

edit - and no, I didn't opt for Google+

Edited by submix8c

Just created an account for my granddaughter (her name, my access) Jan-23 for something called "xtramath" and didn't have to do that. Did you actually list "mobile phone"? Again, there is absolutely NO WAY to give a Mobile Phone # if you only have a "wired" land line. You're doing something wrong. ;)

edit - and no, I didn't opt for Google+

Did they change something in February maybe?

I didn't list any "mobile phone" before.

I just clicked "add account" and followed the procedure until I got the phone verification mandatory request.

If you don't have a mobile phone and your land line number is not unlisted, I see no reason not to use the land line number.

A land line number won't help you regain access to a lost Google account, but then neither will not providing any number. It will get rid of the nags and can be updated if you do get a mobile phone someday. Also, a "Recovery" and/or"Alternate" email address can be set up to (regain) access (to) your account.

Since Google is my ISP, I was getting nagged several times a week last year and almost broke down and used my land line number. But then sometime last Fall the nags mysteriously ceased; I don't know why. Maybe when iGoogle went away?

Hey, today I managed to do it!

I though I had already tried this, but well, now it worked (on another pc, connected by cable and not from wireless).

I simply had to sign out (log out) from G+ and then use "create new account" (instead of the previous "add account").

I'm still puzzled, but happy :P

Well... that explains it. You were NOT creating another Gmail independently as you were under the Google+. Again, I "opt out" of Google+.

Look at this -

http://www.informationweek.com/software/social/5-google-opt-out-settings-to-check/d/d-id/1113405

Thank Google for cramming the two (and YouTube accounts) together and causing serious confusion. TURN OFF GOOGLE+ ("social engin- errr networking")!!! Even when you comment on a YouTube video it actually has a check-mark for "Google+" that I un-check because, well, Google+ is an invasive species. ;)

Edited by submix8c

• 1 year later...

Yes, you can skip phone verification. But, when your account is hacked or locked, it’s hard to recover your account, that time you can’t able to verify. If you verified already, it greatly helps in this kind of situation. Otherwise, you can skip whenever it asks.