Windows 8.2

cottonlane

As the windows 8.2 Update is coming by windows update in March. Is there any pre-requisite do you have to be on Windows 8.1 Running already, or will it upgrade from Windows 8?

have all windows 8 updates installed, then grab the free windows 8.1 upgrade from the MS store app, it will upgrade you to 8.1 and then eventually you will get the update1 via windows update

More like, they are changing the version number to get away from the "bad" 8 image. Even 8.1 is a separate OS, not a service pack, because it packs your win8 installation in a windows.old folder - only upgrading or reinstalling the OS does that. win8.2 was supposed to be a new OS also, but they are renaming it to 9. The "win8.2" is actually win8.1 update1 (or SP1 using the old nomenclature).

I really liked the comment from "Nine54" on Paul's site. He made some good points about the outdated notion of "Windows Everywhere"

On the thought of his response (which I cannot seem to paste here, so go read it first) why doesn't Microsoft focus on Explorer-based Windows on the desktop and notebook, while placing an RT-based Metro UI on Surface devices or maybe even other ARM devices like Chromebooks?

Isn't it what the rumors say about win9? It would be ideal and was what everyone and their mom was telling Sinofsky when he was babbling about Metro on desktop being the compromise to allow us to have both desktop and metro. Metro apps running windowed in desktop was what everyone wouldn't object to.

It's initially encouraging to hear things about Windows Threshold like, "This is the release that my sources previously pegged as being the one that will see the return of the Start menu and the ability to run Metro-style apps on the desktop alongside desktop applications". A return to fundamentals (i.e., making it actually do things people need again) certainly seems in order.

It's impressive to hear that fewer people have adopted Windows 8.1 (25 million) than used Windows 7's Backup feature (6%, or by my estimate 30 million). Microsoft used that number to deprecate Windows Backup support from Windows 8.1 (though it's not really all gone).

But I question whether Microsoft still has the ability to do serious Windows engineering. They can't have come through this ridiculousness without casualties.

Microsoft strikes me as a company that's lost in the wilderness because they followed leaders who can't think about more than one thing at a time, nor change course to avoid previously unseen rocks.

-Noel

Speaking of "changing course", an illustration that compares "staying the course"...

Scenario: You're on a game show, "Let's Make a Deal".

You're asked to pick from Door number 1, 2, or 3. There's a new car behind one of them.

You pick Door number 3.

The game show host opens Door number 2 and shows you that there's a goat back there.

Should you switch to door number 1, now that you know more? Or is there an equal chance you've picked the right door already and you should just stick with it. After all, think how bad you'll feel later if you change your choice and the car really WAS back there behind Door number 3...

The answer may surprise you.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

this will be only an Update for 8.1, no 8.2. 8.2 is canceled for Windows 9.

I suspect with this update, as with 8.1, that users will need to reinstall Windows fresh again and all their personal settings and applications would be wiped.

*Great move Microshaft.

Kind of like a service pack, then.

There was a time that I'd jump all over a new service pack from Microsoft. That was when they had talent on staff and did mostly good things. Now they single-mindedly focus on pushing everyone to the App Store without providing any features customers could actually want.

All I feel is skepticism that there will be ANYTHING good about the new version; I've read of no new features worth mentioning. Tell me why we should want such a thing?

I suspect Microsoft will just continue the course they've set where they're just deleting feature after useful feature. Remind me again why we should want such a thing?

Right now my Windows 8.1 is perfectly stable for me, and actually facilitates my work. A new version can only make it less stable. Microsoft, you need to convince us we should want such a thing!

-Noel