Windows 2000 on Haswell?

AnX

I say again, it is BIOS compatibility problem.

So, There is a little hope that you can use Win2000 with MPS if  you exchange any BIOS as you can.

For example My Haswell Intel NUC D54250WYK works on MPS.

I think ACPI is hopeless, up until someone creates a proper ACPI driver for 2k on Haswell. :(

Hi.

Since I cannot upload here because of size, I have put BIOS here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6eD3QoMVGtdkxWMFUzQmI5ZTQ/view?usp=sharing.

Also available:

http://www.notebook-driver.com/de/asus/asus-r752ld-laptop-driver-utility/

Perhaps the experts can have a look on it, try in vm and see, what could be done to make it w2k compat.

Of course I agree with AnX and blackwingcat, that BIOS is involved, but I thought it would be better for the future to change HAL/ACPI in w2k so it "understands" such bios.

If this is too difficult, also BIOS could be modded or I could try other bios versions for intel i7.

But since I have never touched bios components (too dangerous for me), I would need advice for the necessary procedures.

So, if you are interested in this topic, please contact me:

psychologische.praxis@aon.at

So we can discuss your work and my donation for it. I am interested in:

*W2k Driver development for USB UVC cam dev4F2&pid0409

*W2k Driver development for Intel vga

*W2k/XP Driver development HECI i7

*W2k/XP Driver development MEI i7

*W2k HAL/ACPI development, but if this is not possible or too much work ->

*Bios modding for w2k compatibility.

To avoid misunderstandings: After successful implementation, I would share the drivers with everybody here who wants to run w2k on intel haswell.

@AnX: My Bios is Aptio Setup Utility 2.15.1236 / AMI Bios Version 306, VBIOSVersion 2175.I15x550.007

Greetings, Joe

Edited by JosefReisinger

• 3 months later...

blackwingcat, I have been glancing at your work on windows 2000 and I notice how much you invested in it, such dedicated work on supporting windows 2000 makes me want to go nostalgic again. I have a Haswell system and I do like older versions of windows. (right now I am running XP x64) but I am wondering, why would you and the community that is focused around the project would invest in such a great undertaking ? what are the reasons and motivations to support and develop this platform ? what are the benefits from running windows 2000 ? why isn't it easier to run windows 2003 ? with native x64 and multi-processor support out of the box ? what makes windows 2000 so special that justifies all the work that was invested in it ?

I am willing (and able) to find out for myself (I don't use USB3 and have my own added network card already), is there a big patch I can download with all the modifications you and people that worked on it with you and apply it onto an ISO of windows 2000 ?

Hi.

I am aiming to create Windows 2000 which can install to last hardware, and make to be stable.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1763141.html

1. I have Windows Server 2003 , but it can't upgrade to Windows Server 2003 R2 :(.

I don't think  it is benefit that  x64 system  has too huge system files and poor compatibility.

I use sometimes Windows 7 and have also Windows Home Server, but they are undesirable for me very much.

blackwingcat, I have been glancing at your work on windows 2000 and I notice how much you invested in it, such dedicated work on supporting windows 2000 makes me want to go nostalgic again. I have a Haswell system and I do like older versions of windows. (right now I am running XP x64) but I am wondering, why would you and the community that is focused around the project would invest in such a great undertaking ? what are the reasons and motivations to support and develop this platform ? what are the benefits from running windows 2000 ? why isn't it easier to run windows 2003 ? with native x64 and multi-processor support out of the box ? what makes windows 2000 so special that justifies all the work that was invested in it ?

I am willing (and able) to find out for myself (I don't use USB3 and have my own added network card already), is there a big patch I can download with all the modifications you and people that worked on it with you and apply it onto an ISO of windows 2000 ?

BTW, There's both an x86 *and* an x64 version of Server2003R2. Rule of thumb - you can't go x86<->x64 (for *any* OS) becuase it has to be the same "bitness" to "switch" between "normal" to R2. IOW, x64 will have to installed be from "scratch".

JFYI. ;)

(BWC probably already knew that, as well as you...)

• 1 month later...

is the Radeon HD 7950 driver works ?

I see you have 780 Ti so I guess it work, I will have 780 Ti later, too :)

with ACPI-PC system is stuck in "Setup is starting windows 2000", same with standard-PC and ACPI-MP and MPS-MP

I tried all the options in the F5 menu including not using the F5 menu, they all make it stuck at "Starting windows 2000"

I have mobo gigabyte Z87X-OC Force with bios 10b

I tried to integrate INF and AHCI drivers with nLite but it didn't help, I don't know if the AHCI drivers I am using are effective because my BIOS is configured to use IDE mode and the southbridge is a PCH on this mobo, so the 8.9 driver has no effect on it because it only supports up to ICH10R

Edited by monohouse

YE ! my windows 2000 boat is AFLOAT - THANK YOU ALL and blackwingcat ! (and this message is being written on windows 2000 !)

I didn't have onboard serial, it turns out that the nLite integration of the drivers was messed up because it was done after the HFSLIP, so I started from scratch and performed the INF and AHCI driver integration before the HFSLIP process - and it worked !

so what is up ? ACPI-PC and ACPI-MP cause the freezing of the setup at "setup is starting windows 2000", MPS-MP causes setup BSOD, after installation changing from Standard-PC to ACPI-MP causes BSOD at boot - all that no surprises and no revelations (and this cannot be fixed in safe mode - it doesn't allow you to enter safe mode at all).

so I advice everyone who is planning on building a windows 2000 boat - make sure to integrate storage and INF drivers in nLite before starting the HFSLIP process

the good news:

- Radeon HD 7950 - thanks to blackwingcat's 13.4 driver works properly (out of the box - as in via device manager manual installation)

- network card driver - works properly (out of the box) - but make sure to set your network parameters before the first reboot otherwise you will get "stuckings"

- Realtek audio - works properly (out of the box)

- hardware accelerated DirectX games work properly (out of the box)

- MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 works properly (out of the box)

- RivaTuner 2.24 works properly (out of the box)

- PAE works and I can access all 32 GB of RAM (but the question remains if the drivers will cooperate, another question is how mutch "golden" memory is used to the "windowing games")

- SMB works and I can connect to my samba linux server (out of the box)

- CPU temperature is good (no high idle temperatures bug) (and hwinfo 32 works)

- hidusbf USB filter driver works and allows to go all the way to 1000 Hz with USB xHCI

- need for speed most wanted works very well with all the mods and there are no "stuckings"

- and it's FAST, despite the 2 facts that my windows XP x64 SP2 was nLited and only one CPU core is used and this windows 2000 installation was not - this one is MUCH faster

a few bugs:

- Left 4 Dead works at 85 FPS (when in windows XP x64 SP2 it's at 150 FPS) (maybe for the same reason Race Driver GRID exits - no SSE2 support in the OS)

- all websites in firefox are black when display is at 16/32 bit, but works properly when display on 256 colors

- Starcraft 2 is stuck at loading screen and eventually crashes

- Race Driver GRID says the processor does not support SSE2 instructions and exits

Edited by monohouse

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Nvidia driver 347.88 seems to be almost working on xp64/2k3 haswell intel i7 notebook with Geforce GT820M after changing inf-string Subsys 15ED1043 into 15AD1043. It installs without exclamation mark, but unfortunally (at this time only desktop version is available) it refuses to use primary display, strictly wants to use secondary vga adapter. If I plug in second monitor with vga adapter, it will work fine (only on this monitor), primary laptop monitor is blank. In display option, I have three possibilities:

1 - (Standard monitor) with standard vga adapter (because no working intel dsiplay driver is available)

2 - (standard monitor) with nvidia GT820M

3 - (standard monitor) with nvidia GT820M

If I want to use 2 or 3, laptop display blank and I have to plug in external monitor. There it works fine.

What I tried: I disabled standard vga adapter, blank display on primary monitor. Tried also to change settings in nvidia control panel when I am "on nvidia" with second display, no effect.

I would not care if I would "loose" intel graphics and only use nvidia. But this seems not to be very easy.

Anybody here who had similar problems and solved it? Any help appreciated!

BTW, blackwingcat made this driver available for w2k, so if notebook compat could be solved, also a step forward with w2k and haswell (many haswell laptops have built in GTXXXM).

Edited by JosefReisinger

• 11 months later...

I got it to install on my Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force mobo with a 4790K in ACPI-MP mode by disabling the serial port in the BIOS but there is another problem: the mobo has a PLX chip that is used for all the red PCI-E slots, the (re)installation of the chipset drivers doesn't fix the error which is found in device manager: the device cannot start because it cannot find resources for it to use, have to disable other device to enable it

this error is shown on the "Intel(R) Xeon E3-....PCI Express x16..." "device"

but it doesn't say what other device - so I search manually the IRQ/MEM/IO addresses of each of the devices in the system category in device manager: found only one device that has overlapping addresses with it is the "PCI Bus", so I try to disable "PCI Bus", try to install the "Intel(R) Xeon E3-....PCI Express x16..." driver on the "PCI bus" device, try to use alternate driver on "Intel(R) Xeon E3-....PCI Express x16..." device

later I find that "Intel(R) Xeon E3-....PCI Express x16..." is sitting on top of "PCI Bus" so the addresses are supposed to overlap ?

my video card and network card are on the PLX chip and I don't see them in device manager, it's funny that there is no "VGA compatible comtroller" in device manager and the system works fine otherwise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked into my XP x64 installation and found out I have conflict between the PCI-E PLX chip and VgaSave driver

here is what I tried:

1. switch to IGPU as display device while the cards are connected and use the IGPU as boot display device

2. install drivers (nvw2k35306.cab) for both other cards (successful)

(tried also nvw2k35906.zip, nvw2k35560.cab - they both give error "cannot load driver for device")

3. switch back to the card as display device (780 Ti) and use it as boot display device

4. it's still conflicts and all the devices connected to the PLX chip are gone from device manager

any way to dodge this problem ?

I tried to look into the registry see if I could change those conflicting addresses, could not find what I was hoping for (load VgaSave into a different MMIO range).

I tried to uninstall VgaSave a couple of times, it screwed 2 installations by BSOD with a followed reboot and no safe mode, I guess no point trying it again :x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried everything, moving the card to another slot, replacing vga.sys with version from windows xp SP0,SP3, a version from windows 2003 SP0, a version from 2000 SP0, tried to replace HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv to VgaSave and VgaSave renamed with VgaCompatible set to 0 and 1, tried to change VgaSave Start mode from 1 to 2,3 and 0, tried to enable more devices in BIOS to force it to move MMIO address to another range with no luck here either, tried updated VGA driver videoprt.sys still no luck

ok so the story of this problem is that when the system is installed as Standard-PC the conflict does not exist and the system detects the devices but if installed as any of the ACPI options the conflict exists, I tried to change it after installation but this consistently causes INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE 0x0000007B BSOD, however before switching from Standard-PC to ACPI-MP and backup the hal.dll of the Standard-PC configuration and rename it to for example hal-std.dll then add a boot.ini option for it as /HAL=hal-std.dll - it becomes possible to enter the system in safe mode, in addition it turns out the problem is not with the PLX chip - the conflict exists also when the cards are connected directly to PCI-E bus that is in the CPU, I tried many different combinations of /HAL and /KERNEL to boot the ACPI-MP mode but all of them failed mostly on the 7B BSOD, I also tried to uninstall and change the "fancy" IDE controller drivers to windows standard drivers but that failed as well, also tried to install the system without integrated chipset drivers but the problem was the same only the name of the conflicting device changed (instead of PCI-E x16 controller it's called PCI-PCI bridge)

Edited by monohouse

It appears that the error, at least on Vista and Server 2008, is that (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/942959)

"By default, when you start or reset PCI Express bridge devices, the initial values of the limit register for the bridge resource window are less than the initial values of the base register for the bridge resource window. Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 interpret this behavior as an indication that the bridge resource window is disabled.

and

Additionally, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 do not generate any bridge resource window requirements for the PCI Express bridge device. Therefore, any PCI Express bridge device that requires resources from the bridge resource window will fail enumeration. In this situation, a Code 12 error is generated."

There are workarounds, but I don't know if they would work on Windows 2000, or even XP.

On 4/29/2016 at 1:36 PM, monohouse said:

--quote snip--

:\

I had this issue with my motherboard(ASUS Z87-A), I can't really do anything about it and I need a DVI output, so I quit when I got this.

Edited by agrecascino

• 4 years later...

Has anyone gotten Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics drivers to work with Windows 2000?

I have an Acer Aspire E1-531 from 2013 where I successfully installed 2000 to. To do so, I had to switch the HDD mode from AHCI to IDE and then mash F7 when setup started (so it wouldn't freeze at "Setup is starting Windows 2000"). After installation, I had to fix a BSOD by deleting USBhub20.sys from within a Linux USB. This allowed Windows to boot, but with absolutely no USB support.

My question is, has anyone gotten Intel Sandy Bridge drivers to work with Windows 2000? I have an Intel Pentium B960 2.20 GHz, which is part of Sandy Bridge. I know Windows XP works as I found drivers for that so I'm guessing I would need to modify the XP drivers? Also, how do you solve the USB driver issue? I currently can't copy anything to it unless I do so from Linux (the DVD's that I have were prepared in XP or later and as it states when choosing how to use the DVD, the live file system only works on XP and later unlike the burn option).

And a few more things. My laptop has a Qualcomm Atheros AR5B125 Wireless Card. Is there any way to get the XP drivers working under 2000? I've got Boingo Wireless Connection Manager at the ready, just need the drivers. And for the others such as chipset, would I just do the same as the other? Thanks in advanced for your guys help on this!

1 hour ago, Jakob99 said:

Has anyone gotten Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics drivers to work with Windows 2000?

I have an Acer Aspire E1-531 from 2013 where I successfully installed 2000 to. To do so, I had to switch the HDD mode from AHCI to IDE and then mash F7 when setup started (so it wouldn't freeze at "Setup is starting Windows 2000"). After installation, I had to fix a BSOD by deleting USBhub20.sys from within a Linux USB. This allowed Windows to boot, but with absolutely no USB support.

My question is, has anyone gotten Intel Sandy Bridge drivers to work with Windows 2000? I have an Intel Pentium B960 2.20 GHz, which is part of Sandy Bridge. I know Windows XP works as I found drivers for that so I'm guessing I would need to modify the XP drivers? Also, how do you solve the USB driver issue? I currently can't copy anything to it unless I do so from Linux (the DVD's that I have were prepared in XP or later and as it states when choosing how to use the DVD, the live file system only works on XP and later unlike the burn option).

And a few more things. My laptop has a Qualcomm Atheros AR5B125 Wireless Card. Is there any way to get the XP drivers working under 2000? I've got Boingo Wireless Connection Manager at the ready, just need the drivers. And for the others such as chipset, would I just do the same as the other? Thanks in advanced for your guys help on this!

Try installing KernelEx and Extended Core v16a. This should allow you to use a lot of Windows XP drivers.