UxTheme Signature Bypass

bigmuscle

True.  I'm used to rebooting because my Win 10 test system is a VM and takes about 15 seconds to reboot, so it's just easier/quicker than calling up Task Manager or Process Hacker, finding Explorer, and killing it.

I'm not seeing any faults when logging off, though.  Just when actually running the GUI tool, where Explorer restarts and logs an error in the reliability monitor.

-Noel

I get you on the easy part. Or you could be creative and write a batch script that restarts Explorer and the time will be cut down to a second. :D My dinosaur takes around a minute and half before it's fully up so it's a different story.

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I made some interesting observations related to glow effect. When it comes to ribbon windows, it only works in Explorer for me, but not in Paint or Wordpad. And another thing

Actually, titlebar caption glowing/colorization is not the task for the UxTSB. It has been implemented only as a temporary hack by applying it to any drawn text and it will be removed soon. Also, since the current version of UxTSB injects into Explorer.exe/Winlogon.exe only (because the task of this library is to allow application of custom themes), it simply cannot work on any other application.

Right, that makes sense. I just remembered now that it works by hooking DrawThemeText/DrawThemeTextEx, which among other things, produces undesired effects if application uses those APIs to draw some other text besides the title caption (Alcohol 120% for example). I hope you find a nicer way to do this.

3 minutes ago, bigmuscle said:

Actually, titlebar caption glowing/colorization is not the task for the UxTSB. It has been implemented only as a temporary hack by applying it to any drawn text

That's good.  I believe that limiting its effect will correct an issue with some of the fonts in version 4 of Beyond Compare.  I do hope you're considering making your changes compatible with Win 8.1.

BC4Dialog.png

-Noel

Cyborg, you had mentioned a special UxTSB build that doesn't need to be inserted via AppInit_DLLs...  I'm having trouble locating that post.

NM, I found it: 

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Feedback on UxTSB being loaded by DWMGlass.dll on my Win 10 VM:

• The system boots normally, Aero Glass displays debug window and watermark, as expected, to indicate 1.5.1.738 DEBUG is being loaded.
  • The Aero7 theme I have chosen is working.  Everything looks good and controls have the appropriate visual styles (e.g. rounded button corners).
  • As expected, the "loading DLLs for all applications through AppInit_DLLs) warning is no longer logged at bootup.
  • Both 32 bit and 64 bit applications all have the expected theme-based visual styles.
  • Aero Glass for Win 8+ seems to work as expected.  Translucency is good, colors are as expected.
  • I tried both with and without ModernFrame-x64-Debug.dll registered.  Functionality seems equivalent in both cases.
  • Ribbon-enabled Explorer titles are colored (white in my case) and with expected backing.  The backing/glow seems a little taller than on other windows.
  • Ribbon-enabled WordPad window titles and ModernFrame windows NO LONGER have colored titles or backing.  From the sound of things, this is intentional.  For me this only really matters when the window is not current, as the title text is white normally anyway when they are current.  I could live with it.

It all seems to work - nice job Big Muscle!

NoAppInitDLLsDesktop.png

Something's apparently different between my test setup and UCyborg's regarding the Explorer crashes...  I'm just not seeing them.  Should I be doing anything in particular?  Just logging-off or rebooting via the ClassicShell start menu isn't yielding any failures.

-Noel

About that error I'm getting, it might also be connected to having custom theme atlas. But it's no big deal.

Edit: NM, didn't test right. Just custom caption color or enabled glow effect triggers it here.

Edited by UCyborg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Notice one problem.... On my home computer with system on SSD on loading system if i quick enter the password of my account, system often not starts - it is black screen some seconds (5-10) and then login screen again. 2nd time it all right.

Now after appearing of logon screen and entering password I waiting some seconds and them press Enter and all right.

It starts after I start use new UxTSB.dll via DWMGlass.dll.

On my working comp it's 32 bit version of Win10. And I tried to use lateset UxTSB.dll on them and I can't login into Windows. There is no password on them. And I recieved auto restarting logon screen. After about 5-10 times logon stops restarting. And I can't login. I press "Enter" and black screen and login screen again...

I think that it was 32 bit version problem. But today I installed 1.5.2 to my home note with 64 bit Windows 10. And I recieve same problem on it too.

On all my 3 comps I use 3rd party themes. And only on my main comp with ssd new UxTSB.dll works from 2nd time. And no works at all on not so quick comps.

Will use App_init method for UxTSB.dll on them.

Any help?

P.S. During this bug in debug.log many times repeats one abnormal string:

[2017-01-07 23:38:56][0x51C:0x520] VirtualAllocEx failed with error 5 - Отказано в доступе.

Отказано в доступе. - Translate is "Access denied"

All other strings are normal.

Edited by CKyHC

May it be because of no password set? On these both comps there is no password set for acc. And system autologins without it. But with UxTSB.dll through DWMGlass.dll it fails... App_Init method works...

1 hour ago, bigmuscle said:

Could you verify whether Fast Startup option influences it?

Hmmm, tomorrow on my work I check it. Maybe today in the evening on note check, it's in use at this moment.

Taday I again checked it on my main home comp. I restarted computer and quickly entered pass and pressed Enter - screen is blinked quickly and logon screen appeares again. From 2nd time logon succesfull. But on SSD it is enough to wait 0.5-1 sec and no bug in logon. In debug.log no abnormal entries.

I make reboot several times, but bug is not every time. Maybe because of different boot time or something else.

Were fastboot need to be disabled? In Windows or in BIOS? Or in both?

Edited by CKyHC