UxTheme Signature Bypass

bigmuscle

Seems a little silly to try to re-theme a pre-release build.  It never works better than you expect - always worse.

But I agree that not re-theming it makes it impossible to stand to use it.  One feels as though IQ points are slipping away just by looking at the screen, and one ultimately feels like poking one's eyes out with a ball point pen.  Personally, it makes me consider switching from software engineering to farming.

Thus it seems a little silly to test Windows 10 pre-releases at all.  And that's a Good Thing, because if everyone would just turn away, instead of trying to make do with it, Microsoft would already have had to fix it.

No matter how obviously bad to even plankton that their moves are, Microsoft just isn't stopping their headlong rush into destroying Windows as we know it.  All I can say is that they must have a powerful way of hypnotizing their programmers into doing the most extremely wrong things.  I can almost hear the conversation in the break room...  "If only we convert just one more control panel dialog to a big-font, dumbed-down, flat affect App, then everyone will finally see how amazing XAML really is".

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

20 hours ago, MTDirector said:

In Windows 10 TH2 MS have "blocked" customs theme normal installation.

I would not say "blocked". Actually, the real problem is that TH2 added new elements into theme - mostly titlebar buttons separately for dark/light colors. And if your theme does not contain these new elements, it will not load at all - it means that you need specific TH2 theme and any pre-TH2 theme will not work.

2 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

I would not say "blocked". Actually, the real problem is that TH2 added new elements into theme - mostly titlebar buttons separately for dark/light colors. And if your theme does not contain these new elements, it will not load at all - it means that you need specific TH2 theme and any pre-TH2 theme will not work.

Yes, I already know this ;)
But, if you create a custom theme by changing graphics into the original TH2 visual style, you need to do those step if you want to install it without replacing file system (uxtheme.dll and others) and I don't know another method to do.....

Hi i couldnt explain in text, cause english is not my native language, so i uploaded a video to subscribe my problems... please take a look at it @any active devs here?

Thank You!

Edited by IIIdefconIII

On 5/17/2016 at 8:03 AM, NoelC said:

Seems a little silly to try to re-theme a pre-release build.  It never works better than you expect - always worse.

But I agree that not re-theming it makes it impossible to stand to use it.  One feels as though IQ points are slipping away just by looking at the screen, and one ultimately feels like poking one's eyes out with a ball point pen.  Personally, it makes me consider switching from software engineering to farming.

Thus it seems a little silly to test Windows 10 pre-releases at all.  And that's a Good Thing, because if everyone would just turn away, instead of trying to make do with it, Microsoft would already have had to fix it.

No matter how obviously bad to even plankton that their moves are, Microsoft just isn't stopping their headlong rush into destroying Windows as we know it.  All I can say is that they must have a powerful way of hypnotizing their programmers into doing the most extremely wrong things.  I can almost hear the conversation in the break room...  "If only we convert just one more control panel dialog to a big-font, dumbed-down, flat affect App, then everyone will finally see how amazing XAML really is".

-Noel

You really know how to make a good day seem bad don't you!

I don't know - if I have a good day with Windows 10 I'll let you know.

See, the trouble is, I can clearly see what could be vs. what is.  And it's really, really different.  Windows 10 is not even stagnation.  It's worse than its predecessors.  I know the power of the underlying hardware.  I know the underlying system architecture.  It should be IMPOSSIBLE for us to sense a delay in pretty much ANYTHING we do.  Yet on today's hardware, fully thousands of times faster than hardware from 30 years ago, we still find things Microsoft does in Windows noticeably slow.  I have software that can sort a table of 1.5 million light sources by brightness in 70 milliseconds.  It's amazing what the CPU - not to mention the GPU - is capable of.

You should know by now that I've been the most rabid Windows tweaker you ever could meet.  I actually use (and like) Windows 8.1, set up as I have it.  You've seen what I've done with theme atlases.  I'd have adopted Win 10 if I could have made it as good or better to actually use.

The very things that make it possible to mold Windows into something usable are being systematically removed, and replaced with XAML - which is honestly no better than BASIC on a Commodore PET back in 1978.  Seriously.  It's well past time to stop claiming the emperor's new clothes are oh so fine.

-Noel

FYI (and this is an increasing problem with the more recent releases), who deemed it okay to add delays to the UI?  It's worse than ever in 10.  That they claim it's faster just makes it all the more irritating.

The other day I chose to delete a folder with one file in it.  ONE STUPID FILE!  It was protected, so Explorer popped-up a message.  OK, fine, I hit the Cancel button.  That dialog stayed on the screen fully 2 seconds longer, with the progress bar moving steadily across.  Yeah, right.  They thought we couldn't possibly notice the arbitrary extra delays.

Have you deleted an entire folder tree of files lately?  Maybe 1000 or more?  That takes an age!  I not only have SSD storage, but I run from a whole fricking array of them.  This hardware provides way over a gigabyte per second of continuous I/O, and max latency is a tiny fraction of a millisecond.  Not to mention the huge RAM I have for cache.  It's a workstation, optimized for work.  Lots of it.

Yet if I delete a folder full of files, the stupid process just moseys across, taking its sweet time.  Maybe a few hundred files per second.  It could all be done in an eyeblink, but it's not.

That's just BS!

I used to be able to manipulate huge file trees with near instantaneous UI response back with XP in the early 00s.  Fast I/O makes that happen.  Cache makes that happen.  Humongously powerful computers make that happen.  But noooo....  The software prevents it.

Here's something to try...  Select all the files in the root of drive C: and choose Properties. 

Watch how many thousands of files per second are counted up.

You can do that MASSIVELY faster in Win 7.  It got slower in Win 8, then slower again in Win 8.1.  It's now slower than ever in Win 10.  I could enumerate almost 50,000 files per second in Windows 7.  It's down to 15,000 in Win 8.1 and when I most recently did it in 10 I saw under 10,000.  Same hardware.

I'm sure whomever programmed these stupid delays into Explorer thinks it's great, because people can't possibly think that fast.  Truth is, THEY, with their 98 IQ, can't think that fast, so why should the operating system do any better for anyone else?

On the subject of this thread, I have a beautiful theme atlas right now for Win 10 10586.  Aero Glass works enviably well, and even the Modern Settings App (the only one I have retained, for obvious reasons) looks nice.  In some ways it's even more attractive than the setup I created for Win 8.1 and use every day. 

Win10Polished.png

But looks aren't everything.  Microsoft is preparing to deliver their next degradation of Windows in a month or two.  Redstone 1.  Remember the first Mercury Redstone launch?  It went up 4 inches then shut off.

I installed one of their latest pre-release builds to scout around...  Sure enough, Aero Glass gets broken, the UI sucks again - all because THEY don't want to allow us to run an attractive desktop.  I had to develop a 1,000+ line re-tweaker script just to tame the updated system to where I'm willing to even allow it to run connected to the network.  Out of the box it sends data constantly to the mothership, and is bloated as hell with a crapload of adware and junk running.  I could only get the number of running processes down to 47 (vs. 42 on a quiet system running 10586.318).  And of course the in-place upgrade reverts any number of my settings.

I've spent a lifetime deriving great value from Windows, and Microsoft is doing all they can - continuously - to try to stop that. 

Tell me again why I should think any more of today's Microsoft than I do.

-Noel

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Do you think that this could be usable?

http://glass8.eu/out/UxTSB-2016-10-19.7z

Great!  This version now accesses the specified theme atlas title glow backing just fine, with both "Use atlas image" and "Use atlas image and theme opacity" settings.  With the "Use atlas image" setting I prefer, I now see just the right amount of shading behind the title text on both ribbon-enabled windows and non-ribbon enabled windows no matter what I set the theme opacity to.  Very nice!

ProperRibbonTitleColoring.png

Operationally, I now see the whole desktop blank briefly when I make changes with the Aero Glass GUI to the theme atlas or the Caption glow effect mode setting in the latest Aero Glass GUI.  I don't think it was doing that before.  Is that intentional, so that the updated settings are seen by Explorer on all windows?

I am using an actual theme, Sagorpirbd's "Aero7", along with my own theme atlas replacement for the title bars and borders.  All my controls (buttons and thumbs) inside both 32 and 64 bit applications seem to have the proper skeuomorphism, so I guess all is well with UXTSB32/64 when not making changes with the Aero Glass GUI.

It all seems to hang together nicely.

Thank you, Big Muscle.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

12 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Do you think that this could be usable?

http://glass8.eu/out/UxTSB-2016-10-19.7z

Oh, thats great! Thank you!

Noel, can you give me your "theme atlas replacement for the title bars and borders"? But i use square variant of Aero 7 theme by Sagorpirbd.

I want to have glow on ribboned windows...

Thanks.

Edited by CKyHC

6 hours ago, NoelC said:

Great!  This version now accesses the specified theme atlas title glow backing just fine, with both "Use atlas image" and "Use atlas image and theme opacity" settings.  With the "Use atlas image" setting I prefer, I now see just the right amount of shading behind the title text on both ribbon-enabled windows and non-ribbon enabled windows no matter what I set the theme opacity to.  Very nice!

ProperRibbonTitleColoring.png

Operationally, I now see the whole desktop blank briefly when I make changes with the Aero Glass GUI to the theme atlas or the Caption glow effect mode setting in the latest Aero Glass GUI.  I don't think it was doing that before.  Is that intentional, so that the updated settings are seen by Explorer on all windows?

I am using an actual theme, Sagorpirbd's "Aero7", along with my own theme atlas replacement for the title bars and borders.  All my controls (buttons and thumbs) inside both 32 and 64 bit applications seem to have the proper skeuomorphism, so I guess all is well with UXTSB32/64 when not making changes with the Aero Glass GUI.

It all seems to hang together nicely.

Thank you, Big Muscle.

-Noel

Hi

Could you tell me how to use these files provided by Big Muscle ? have to copy theme at specific place ?