I did it! What about the logo?

HarryTri

I did it! I bought a Lenovo G500 laptop with Windows 8 (I still have my old Pentium 3 desktop though). Well, the start screen isn't so horrible but I too prefer the desktop - with a bit of a start menu with access to the various programs. I retrieved the serial number with Read and Write Everything as it was proposed in one topic here. Yet I wonder if there is a way to see the normal BIOS messages when the computer starts instead of the Lenovo logo. I looked into the BIOS but didn't find anything relevant - or it has to do with the "secure boot"?

There is no BIOS in new computers anymore, they use UEFI and it works a bit different, or rather much faster. I think if it has some errors, it will print them, otherwise it just boots the OS asap.

While that is the case, it is always true that it is the BIOS itself that determines whether or not you have the option of having no logo at boot. With notebooks, their BIOSes are typically very limited. The only way would be to use a whitebook BIOS (potentially) or to modify the BIOS itself. That's no easy task so you're probably just better off not bothering.

In the BIOS/EFI menu, you'll have to disable a feature called "Quiet Boot" or something along those lines.

Secure Boot should never have really been included, that's a bigger problem with the PC market today, you could disable it, however all it would do is allow you to boot off of external devices much more easily (as well as boot media that does not have EFI compatibility). Sometimes this option is under a listing called "CSM."

Quiet Boot is not available on all machines, as when an OEM manufacturer makes the BIOS for Lenovo (or any other name brand), there are requirements, and options that are "hidden" or permanently inaccessible by the end user. With something like that, it may be possible to look into a BIOS modding community, which could potentially add the features you're looking for, but this would depend on the motherboard itself supporting those features. Quiet Boot would likely just be hidden, but you'll have to dig around to see if it's in there.