Replace cloned Windows 7 with a new working Windows 7.

KlingKlang

So, one of my laptops crashed some weeks.

Since i always does backups and Ghosts of my computer regularly, restoring the crashed computer isn't normally a problem until now.

Because i didn't want to buy yet a new laptop which becomes outdated quick, i decided to buy a stationary one.

The problem is this: When i restore my ghost to my new hard drive, the computer won't boot since all hardware configuration is for my laptop.

The computer boots to the windows logo screen and then BSOD and reboot.

What i want to do: Install windows 7 on top of the non-working windows 7 to re-write the hardware configuration to the new computers hardware.

Is this possible or how should i proceed with this matter? Is there a way to fix this issue?

/Regards, KlingKlang

There is a way to do a repair (in-place upgrade) on Windows 7 but you need to do it from within the OS. It is unlike XP where you could do the repair by booting off the OS disc.

If that OS came with your notebook, you aren't allowed to transfer it to different hardware.

But how should i do the repair in windows, if i can't access windows? Live-CD like Hiren's boot cd?

I have so many programs, which take several hours to install, so if i can avoid it i would be great.

I didn´t know that i wasn't allowed to use same OS on two computer at a time.

But i won't buy another Windows 7 if it doesn't work, so i need to verify it first.

You can install Windows 7 on top of itself but it won't save any settings. All (or most) of your files would still be present but most programs would be required to be reinstalled anyways. Part of the reason is that it replaces the registry.

But I agree. The inability to do a repair install during boot is annoying. I like how Windows XP had done it instead.

Slightly different case successfully tested: Dell desktop using Windows 7 SP1 stuck with Windows 7 RTM setup files on the separate OEM reinstall partition. I extracted the SP1 ISO and overwrote the files and it ran flawlessly from within Windows ...

Is it possible to Repair Install from a HDD? Yes it is.

Note that I went back and tried to determine which ISO I used to no avail ( I don't have access to this computer anymore ). But it was a Dell desktop, that originally came with Vista and was then updated for free via Dell to Windows 7 RTM when it came out. I got the machine when it was Win7 SP1 but with RTM files on the OEM partition ( which skipping RTM was the whole purpose of that experiment ) . So I don't remember which ISO I used, but it did prompt for the activation key which would not be the case in a perfectly normal OEM situation. I guess the Dell free upgrade to Win7 was either a retail or system builder edition which prevented simply using the BIOS SLP. I have to assume I used the non-Dell Win7 SP1 in that case.

Anyway, you should extract the official ISO of the *exact* version you have ( determinants: 32 or 64, RTM or SP1, OEM or Retail or VL ) to a separate partition. Then you run the SETUP.EXE from within Windows and read the prompts carefully.