[SOLVED] XP "Freeze" on Dual Boot with 7

Dogway

I installed 7 as explained here. Placed the boot.ini, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM inside the partition for Win7 (2nd partition, XP 1st partition), and the 7 boot manager imported the settings correctly. I'm currently testing, first and foremost, can I remove any of the partitions' boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com files?

The problem I'm experiencing is similar to this one. If I go from XP to 7 it is fine, but if I boot to XP from 7 it freezes just right showing the desktop, I need to reboot and then is fine. I deleted Avira and PerfectDisk since they have low level access to OS, but no change, I thought it could be a thing of my USB Wifi, so plugged it out, then later I realised that my mouse and keyboard had no power input, I thought... ah yeahhh, that's why my USB Wifi wasn't loading either. So what I thought was a "freeze" is just USB not being powered, the mouse laser turns off as soon as I choose XP to boot. That explains why I couldn't find anything when running procmon on boot. With this said, what can I try?

-Also to ask, is it possible to add XP Safe Mode to 7 boot manager? And flags (DEP off, /PAE, etc)?
-And a quicky, how do I uninstall DISM? Everything I google is uninstall things with DISM.

Windows Legacy OS Loader------------------------identifier              {466f5a88-0af2-4f76-9038-095b170dc21c}device                  partition=C:path                    \ntldrdescription             Windows XP Professional SP3 (x86)

Thank you.

Edited by Dogway

Immediately press "F8" after selecting XP. Post#14 -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170900-will-an-xp-repair-install-mess-up-mbr/

The only item lacking in the above explanation is that the Windows7 (Vista) BCD Loading is that by selecting XP you will be "redirected" to the NTLDR, as your entry above specifically states. You could also add a TimeOut value to BOOT.INI (say 2 seconds) to allow sufficient time to press "F8".

As for the mouse/keyboard, it appears to be having some "trouble" getting the USB Port to "activate". XP Drivers need updated? :unsure:

Uninstall DISM? DISM is a program - you need to uninstall a "package" that included DISM. In addition DISM, by itself can not be "uninstalled". It's a part of Win7/2k8r2.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349343%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I'm looking at it right now in my Win7Pro Install.

DEP (a "security feature") works in two ways -

1 - Within the BIOS

2 - Within XP (programmatically) regardless of BIOS

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

PAE (scroll down) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

HTH

Yes, this morning I tested the F8 thing because I read it elsewhere. It is "fine", but I wonder if there's a more proper way, not only because I want a safe mode entry, but because I load XP with flags. In that circumstance it is very DUMB to load a boot manager that loads another bootmanager that.... you know, if I can find a boot manager that deals with all these straight all the better, if I knew from the begginning... :/ Screen also flashes before running 7's boot manager, taking like 4 secs of the total 8 secs, and it feels "hacky". That jaclaz post is nice to research with, I was reading the thread yesterday.

I installed DISM on XP a few days ago in order to remove a 7's failed install stub folder with SYSTEM privilegies. Well, the partition was almost empty, so I ended up with a format, but I'm left with DISM installed on XP, it's an installable program, search for "DISM Installer_v105". I couldn't find anything on any entry, built-in Windows Installed programs, CCleaner, Geek, the self DISM folder, or an uninstall flag in DISM, I probably have all DISM scattered on my system. I recently had to do a manual uninstall with picaview (for 7) and please god, no more!

USB use drivers¿?? the only drivers I knew I had to install for USB were the USB3 for 7. XP uses no drivers, still I installed some (modded-obscure) drivers that claimed to make USB3 possible on XP, but I uninstalled those also and no change. Before you tell me, yes, mouse and keyboard are on the rear panel USB2 only (not blue) USB ports. The critical thing here is not, do they (driver) work? it rather is, why aren't they powered? Maybe it's a thing of the BIOS, but I set everything to legacy so I don't know.

1 - Doubting able to "bypass" the Boot Sequence. Seemingly there is no other way unless someone has figured out how to use (e.g.) Grub4DOS to do it - AFAIK, you're still "stuck" with a "sequence', albeit via a single Loader, thus bypassing Win7. You will still (unless, again there is a "method") have to use "F8".

2 - NOW you talk about USB3. I haven't searched down your MoBo Specs, but I can tell you this - Via Chipsets have their very own Drivers that (IMHO) exceed what MS "by default" provide. Finding out if any other "newer" Drivers for XP I leave up to you.

3 - DISM Reference - "Warez" :ph34r: Rather than "downloading" it to see HOW it installed, you are also on your own. Apparently you are unaware that there is on MSFN a "method" of directly extracting WAIK Tools?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156869-get-waik-tools-wo-downloading-the-huge-isos/

FYI - DISM is just a "program". ;)

Edited by submix8c

Yes, my mind was on Grub4DOS since I used that before. But was waiting confirmation for BCD, whether it was possible or not.

I entered Safe Mode and USB works, so it's probably a driver thing¿? Anyways I enabled on BIOS EHCI Handoff and now will disable USB for fast boot options. Dude, how I hate this, I don't even like computers XD and now I also have issues with fullscreen video because apparently the driver I installed is not suited at all with XP (Intel HD 4600). I f... hate Intel.

DISM should be legal, it comes inside Wintoolkit for XP too. Just test it over a VM. Why would I need WAIK?

So, the Video Driver you installed was from Intel?

I didn't say you needed WAIK - did you look at the MSFN link I gave? Said "method" allows extraction directly from the MS files.

Point of interest #1 - MSFN is based in USA, WinCert is based in Germany (AFAICT, with a tracert) - different rules apply. ;) Saying "DISM should be legal" is fine - argue that with the U.S. Copyright Laws. Just saying...

Point of interest #2 - If you have used Wintoolkit, then you should have already had DISM, correct? Why go the "torrent" route (the -only- places I seen that item)?

http://www.wincert.net/forum/files/file/5-win-toolkit/

...and ummm - it's -not- included, but separate -and- you have to be a member. ;)

Sure I gave a glimpse, it's 55 posts across 3 pages, what do you want me to see? What is it supposed to extract? WAIK tools from ISO? I don't understand you.

With copyright bul***** you can get as picky as you want, try not to say pepsi or you will be infringing copyright laws. I don't remember where I got DISM from, it's inside Wintoolkit and there are plenty of places you can get it from built-in or standalone by searching on google (FYI; based in USA), and not in those "warez" pages you try to hint.

I used Wintoolkit on my old system over a month ago to build an unattended 7 on XP, because every other tool didn't support XP.

-Any help with USB? I tried both things on BIOS and didn't work. Do USB relies on AHCI drivers or Chipset drivers?

Video driver was intel, yes, I don't know any other drivers available, not even modded. But if you wonder, no, you can't find them on official Intel webpage, and if you wonder again, no, no warez, or maybe yes... or maybe I don't surf the net marking what is warez or not as long as I can make my system work. You curious right? Check here.

Edited by Dogway

I'm going to try to disable Fast Reboot on BIOS. Anyways, I don't think I can foresee any more, this is a issue of USB "driver" not being capable to unhook from one OS to another, and that's BIOS related, nothing to do with OS. If that doesn't work I will contact ASUS (the board is a Gryphon Z87). I updated BIOS to latest rev. one week ago so that's out too.

1 - YES, It "connects" to the ISO and "gets the wholes-shebang! Just did it for the Win7 Set and it took all of about ten seconds for the AMD64, IA64, and X86 - including the "related" files. BOOM! You didn't even TRY it did you?

2 - No, it is NOT in WinToolkit! I gave you the dang link! AT that link is ANOTHER Link! NOT INCLUDED!

3 - That SPECIFIC name "DISM Installer_v105" is STRICTLY WAREZ!!!!

4 - So what? You MUST have gotten a "repackaged" version! SoftPedia has a Download TOO and it does NOT contain DISM!

5 - USB2/3 On-Board - Nothing to do with AHCI, BUT Chipset Drivers should ALWAYS be included, -if- the may be "newer". Not having such a MoBo, I have -no clue-!

6 - Video - Problematic - The link given "claims" 4600, -however- just looking for "hd 4000" on Intel website clearly shows version "14.51.11.5437". Note that using that self-same site yields the same (when listing ALL of them) and the one you gave said "Not to attract dissatisfied users of a particular dysfunction wrath, Intel, however, prefers to keep this support GPU Haswell Windows XP as "confidential" for the general public and indicates that it is not expected to formalize. No support will, in addition, brought traditional users trying experience."

Reference this (which corresponds to with I just said)

http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=26&v_code=379

HTH

edit - look also here (a link further down to "Station Drivers")

https://communities.intel.com/thread/38342

Edited by submix8c

I still fail to see what you want me to do. Download WAIK? for what? I downloaded WAIK over a month ago to make unattendeds for Win7. FYI, it's 1.7Gb, do you want me to install more crap to uninstall crap?

I tested disabling "Fast Reboot" and no change. I'm going to contact ASUS.

Yes, the driver at station-drivers is the exact one I have (v14.56.0.5441). They say it's not official on station-drivers and official on touslesdrivers, but IIRC it's a driver for a certain 8 series board, that now is being used as for all 4th generation HD graphics on XP. It installed correct, yes, as Intel Haswell HD Graphics - GT2, the issue is not about Intel QuickSync which is known to not work on XP, the problem is that I was yesterday watching a video on sopcast, and when I went to fullscreen it transformed into slow motion. Over Seven it played nicely. This has a radical and odd solution, buy an nvidia card... oh well...

(sigh...) I'm no longer going to respond -except- for this...

NO, AGAIN, I did NOT say "download the WAIK". In that Topic, did you NOT see the attachement? It is a SPECIAL PROGRAM that DIRECTLY ATTACHES to MS' ISO "image" ON THEIR SERVER and -extracts- (but I repeat myself) ONLY the "set" of files DIRECTLY OFF MICROSOFT! (LEGAL LEGAL LEGAL!)

DUH!!! I already stated that - TWICE!

Sure I gave a glimpse
VERY FIRST POST! Pay attention!

re - Chipset Drivers - INSTALL THE LATEST SUPPORTED (obvious as all heck!) BEFORE the...

re - Video Driver - I REPEAT! Try an OLDER version! (Didn't read any of the links, did you?)

(Being obstinate and argumentative again, I see...)

HTH clarify things a bit. Have fun... ;)

Yes, "GetWaikTools" and so what? I ask again, what do you want me to do with this and what does it have to do with uninstalling DISM? make yourself clear.

-Chipset driver, installed already the last supported driver before video drivers at the time (I installed OS), did I say otherwise? :S
-Video driver, the oldest and most recent version of the video driver is only a single one (v14.56.0.5441), there's not other version supported that I know of. The one you imply, as older (v14.51.11.5437) is only up to 3rd generation, check your sources before demanding them to be read.

edit: I actually just bought a Quadro 600 card, besides the display issue explained above, the driver wasn't installing the internal audio drivers for when I plug a display (TV) to the system via HDMI. Actually I have been looking for the faulty yellow driver on Hardware Manager since a few weeks with no success. HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2807

Edited by Dogway

"Fixed". I had to disable "Intel xHCI Mode" on BIOS, it will cause to disable USB3, so that's another point to count for Intel (probably more than Asus) and their one sided and subversive war against XP (or everything that smells "old").

The driver for the internal Intel HD 4600; well, it looks more like a dummy driver than anything else. I'm not getting any benefit from it:
-slow playback on full screen on youtube (if I disable HW acceleration in flash it runs smooth)
-slow playback on MPC in full screen, if I RMB click over screen (the Windows GUI interferes and playback loses GPU focus)
-slow playback on full screen sopcast
-HD audio driver wasn't installed (so no audio over HDMI)

is it me or all my issues are related to Intel? danm them!

btw, still wondering about:

-Also to ask, is it possible to add XP Safe Mode to 7 boot manager? And flags (DEP off, /PAE, etc)?
-And a quicky, how do I uninstall DISM? Everything I google is uninstall things with DISM.

If nobody has it clear I might dedicate an unique thread for each, thank you!

Edited by Dogway

Did I miss something? If I understand correctly, you installed DISM extra, right? So, the next time you build, don't add it. If you really need to add it to your next build but want it to remove it later, then take submix8c's suggestion and use GetWaikTools to get a legitimate copy of DISM directly from MS. I would think you might then have a better chance in being able to install and uninstall it. But, to be honest, I am just guessing.

Cheers and Regards

Yes, I might ask on wincert, or just simply install it on VM with regshot opened, and undo manually the process. On every OS install I learn things that I had better done beforehand, but this time it will have to wait, it's time to enjoy the new build for once and all.