Greetings and Help request.

Flasche

Hey everyone let me introduce myself. I'm a High School student (15), and when I graduate I want to be a scientist and an IT professional. I am an honors student so learning isn't an issue.I'm currently taking German 1-5 (starting two in a week) I've been using computers since I was a kid and built a couple. I have four computers in my room, but my favorite one is my windows 98se computer. I have been using her for nine years soon to be ten. I also like to go outside and participated and won three soccer tournaments. I'm also a second degree black belt. Now that you know a bit about me I have a request. I've been watching this site for about a year and really like it. There is one problem though I have no idea what any of you are talking about. This shouldn't be a problem since my school offers classes to become an IT professional at CIT ,but there is a catch. I would have to give up my German classes and I won't do that. My dad (who built computers and wrote software) told my that I can get certified online, and that's why I made this account. I'm hoping that anyone here can help my so I can get certified and help out around the site. Chao Tschau!!

EDIT: opps spelt Tschau wrong :blushing:

Edited by Flasche

Well, you sounds like you can do alot better, then computers, with all of that under your belt.

An IT person, is the person who works under the CEO or CIO who governs all computer network operations. An CIO is an time staking job, and while you can make alot of money, and make harsh decisions, who are also bound to that job by time. Most of everybody on this forum has the "skills" to work in an IT department. However their are small things you will learn.

Keep in mind going into deeper technological carers also means more dedication. It is a good JOB and I mean JOB.

I would rather have abandon all sugar products, and tv watching and become a body builder, and pose for cameras, and be a body guard for a cripple.

You sound like you have an free ticket to college. If I was you, I would take my studies to the limit, go to the most expensive college, and get the highest grades. You want to take up German, fine by me. Maybe you will be able to utilize it somehow. My father went to Havard to study for art, but because he had no more money, he went to a less expensive college to study telecommunications,

It will not hurt you to do what your father said, because after all he is father. How could your father hurt you?

Edited by ROTS

Well, you sounds like you can do alot better, then computers, with all of that under your belt.

An IT person, is the person who works under the CEO or CIO who governs all computer network operations. An CIO is an time staking job, and while you can make alot of money, and make harsh decisions, who are also bound to that job by time. Most of everybody on this forum has the "skills" to work in an IT department. However their are small things you will learn.

Keep in mind going into deeper technological carers also means more dedication. It is a good JOB and I mean JOB.

I would rather have abandon all sugar products, and tv watching and become a body builder, and pose for cameras, and be a body guard for a cripple.

You sound like you have an free ticket to college. If I was you, I would take my studies to the limit, go to the most expensive college, and get the highest grades. You want to take up German, fine by me. Maybe you will be able to utilize it somehow. My father went to Havard to study for art, but because he had no more money, he went to a less expensive college to study telecommunications,

It will not hurt you to do what your father said, because after all he is father. How could your father hurt you?

The reason I want a career in computers is cause 1 I love them and 2 I want to be certified so when I'm in college (since I would be IT certified I can self employ myself to help local people with pc issues) Being an it professional would only be a secondly job.

By getting IT certified, just means that you can work in an job area, where an IT is needed. This is no different then being "certified" to deal with class of vehicles, or brand name goods. If you want to do your own small business, you can start it yourself.

Or ICAR Certified to paint a car at an autobody repair shop that Insurance Companies won't deal with UNLESS said shop has Certified personnel, even if it's a One Man Shop, ROTS?

Your assertion is, again, an -opinion- and not a -fact-.

"Certified" means "I have been trained and I know what I'm doing, so you can trust me to do a good job", even if it's your -own- business. IOW, did you Graduate and have a Diploma that proves you know the 3-R's? If the answer is -no- then there is "No Soup For You". ;)

I

By getting IT certified, just means that you can work in an job area, where an IT is needed. This is no different then being "certified" to deal with class of vehicles, or brand name goods. If you want to do your own small business, you can start it yourself.

Opps :blushing: though I did find this http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/default.aspx . This website hopefully has all of the info I need to be certified as a M$ IT pro or even a developer. ( But since I have no background I have to start out as a Microsoft technical associate and work my way up.

EDIT: hmm since MSITP are being retired , and Most MCITP certifications will be retired by July 31, 2014 I shall be looking at Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE).

Edited by Flasche

"Certified" means "I have been trained and I know what I'm doing, so you can trust me to do a good job", even if it's your -own- business.

No.

"Certified" means "I have been trained and I managed to get judged capable of doing what I was trained for". (nothing more, nothing less).

From this to extrapolate that "I know what I am doing" and "you can trust me to do a good job" there is an abyss.

Just go to some more official MS forum and check what MVP's and the like tell poor, innocent people.

A few examples:

intelligent+honest+properly trained or knowledgeable enough+passes certification=Certified AND knowing what I am doing AND you can trust me to do a good job

stupid+dishonest+properly trained or knowledgeable enough+passes certification=Certified AND knowing what I am doing BUT NOT necessarily you can trust me to do a good job

Intelligent+honest+properly trained or knowledgeable enough= knowing what I am doing AND you can trust me to do a good job BUT NOT certified

stupid+honest+passes certification=Certified BUT NOT knowing what I am doing AND NOT necessarily you can trust me to do a good job

etc.. :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz -

My comment was simply to point out that the above is sheer nonsense. The comment above used "vehicle" as an example then continued with "own business". My comment was to show that's absilute BS, since I know from direct experience. I am a Combo Autobody+Painter with NO CERTIFICATION and can NOT either get a job OR start my own business without it/them. I've been scrounging for extra income (a job here, a job there) since 1999. First question - "Are you CERTIFIED?"

Certification (IMHO) means certainly what you said (you simply clarified), BUT when I was doing IT work (Systems Maintenance) I actually had a guy with a Masters that kmew squat from beans beceuse they had no Real Life Experience (your ticked examples above to drive some points home).

"Mr. Opinionated" has been running around MSFN to find something to post on with absolutely no helpful information. Go ahead and do a search on that. ;)

Yes, DO get Certified and get some experience under your belt along with surrounding yourself with EXPERIENCED and KNOWLEDGABLE people.

NO you CAN NOT open your own PC Repair/Programmer/WebsiteBuilder business without training and that "stupid piece of paper", including that "useless H.S. Diploma"!

Reminder, jaclaz, I'm also a U.S.N. Certified E.T. and F.T.B., along with a Degree - now I scrounge for Automobile jobs.

Reminder, jaclaz, I'm also a U.S.N. Certified E.T. and F.T.B., along with a Degree - now I scrounge for Automobile jobs.

ET? :unsure:

funny-et-dog-wrapped-blanket-cute-pics.j

FTB? :w00t:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/

Check the actual academic degrees and certifications people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates got, they did *somehow* manage to start a business or two even without them. :whistle:

Mind you I am not saying that it is not good to have certifications and degrees (quite the contrary), I am saying that they are an often overestimated part of what concurs to people's capability and will to "do a good job", they are very good things to have :yes:, but not enough by themselves.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

E.T. - Electronics Technician ('phone home)

F.T.B. - Fire Control Technician

A.S. Systems Analysis, Design, Programming, Implementation

--Well you know what an A.S. is, followed by B.S., then M.S. <=standard joke in academics

The whole point was a rebuttal of ROTS' "opinion", of which (IMHO) "opinions are like ____" and serve no useful purpose. To suggest "you don't need one" is akin to "you don't need to get trained to drive on the highway". Not useful, by itself, but EXTREMELY helpful. It -appeared- that ROTS was kind of "deterring" it with such a suggestion, just like "don't install MAC OSX Security Updates".

Opinion -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/153963-macos-x-lion/

Foolish (this is the specific one) -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149769-questions-regarding-mac-os-x-updates/

An expert opinionator doth not sound decisions make.

A definition -

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/misguided

misguided - wrong in e.g. opinion or judgment

:yes:

Edited by submix8c

Don't worry about the acronyms, it is just my "personal war" agaisnt their use (and abuse), though F.T.B. for Fire Control Technician is an interesting twist:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Fire-Control-Technician-Ballistic-(US-DoD)-(FTB).html

as anywhere else that would make FCT :yes:

The whole point was a rebuttal of ROTS' "opinion", of which (IMHO) "opinions are like ____" and serve no useful purpose.

Sure :), I understand what you were trying to do, but that's one of the occasions when an image is worth a thousand words ;):

ffy8z641nj.jpg

An expert opinionator doth not sound decisions make.

Demotivational__Grammar_by_Nenja_Black.j

:lol:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz