bigmuscle

It seems that it failed to hook WICImageFactory (it works here, but if I remove this hook it behaves the same way). When my s***ty internet connection starts working, I will upload debug build if shows if it is this problem.

So please, download this build: http://glass8.berlios.de/stuff/DWMGlassDebugBuild.7z and provide debug log after the error appears. This build is intended to generate error log when glow hook fails and also to generate more startup logs (so if anyone has problem that glass is not working but aerohost.exe is running, use it too and provide debug.log). Just replace DWMGlass.dll and restart aerohost.exe and dwm.exe.

Edited by bigmuscle

It seems that it failed to hook WICImageFactory (it works here, but if I remove this hook it behaves the same way). When my s***ty internet connection starts working, I will upload debug build if shows if it is this problem.

So please, download this build: http://glass8.berlios.de/stuff/DWMGlassDebugBuild.7z and provide debug log after the error appears. This build is intended to generate error log when glow hook fails and also to generate more startup logs (so if anyone has problem that glass is not working but aerohost.exe is running, use it too and provide debug.log). Just replace DWMGlass.dll and restart aerohost.exe and dwm.exe.

Here is pastbin log of my debug log with debug build

http://pastebin.com/fw7DYVkE

BTW with debug build i dont get black box after restart

Changed back to original 1.0 glass.dll and got black box again so there is something fishy between debug and official glass.dll

Edited by illuzi0n

BM, Thanks for the DebugBuild as I was getting the black box like illuziOn and others. I run Win 8.1 x64 up to date on a desktop PC with Aero 8 Glow v2 theme using default settings. I only have EnableLogging in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM so unsure what TextGlowMode value would be. Debug log attached (same WICImageFactory error as illuziOn)

debug.log

Edited by DrStrange

BTW with debug build i dont get black box after restart

Changed back to original 1.0 glass.dll and got black box again so there is something fishy between debug and official glass.dll

Only one idea comes to my mind - on some systems, installing DWM hook is so fast that it happens before the WIC component is initialized. It would explain why it works with debug build (which is a bit slower than release). Now I need to find a fix.

debug.log with DWMGlassDebugBuild:

[2014-01-21 23:36:50][0x4D0:0x4D4] Installing DWM hook...

[2014-01-21 23:36:50][0x4D0:0x4D4] User: SYSTEM

and still does not work? Could you generate minidump for aerohost.exe with this debug build, it should provide more verbose output than release.

Thanks. Log shows:

CoCreateInstance(CLSID_WICImagingFactory, NULL, CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER, IID_PPV_ARGS(&pImageFactory)) failed with 0x800401F0

now I am interested what causes the error :huh:

First after install (i use registry injection, because after setup the same problem as was wroted there allready - aerohost launches but don't work) i encountered this problem too - buggy glow text, the same error in debug log. After i delete symbol directory (it's was from previous versions - not delete it it all before) and restart dwm.exe, symbols was loaded (i have donation key) and bugs with glow are gone and error in debug log was gone too.

Thanks for final release! What about additional library or tool for bypassing verifying theme signature?

Currently not, because it would require AppInit_DLLs injection again.

Maybe you can make dll for injection for temporary use? Until you decide what do with this function in future?

Edited by CKyHC

First after install (i use registry injection, because after setup the same problem as was wroted there allready - aerohost launches but don't work) i encountered this problem too - buggy glow text, the same error in debug log. After i delete symbol directory (it's was from previous versions - not delete it it all before) and restart dwm.exe, symbols was loaded (i have donation key) and bugs with glow are gone and error in debug log was gone too.

Well, I tried this. But dwm.pdb has not changed since 26/08/2013 and other people have said that black box happened in RC3 too (I didn't notice it in RC3 but I was not testing Aero Glass, just using PC normally). Why would dwm.pdb cause the black box problem?

Edited by DrStrange

Soukyuu: Your log is invalid as it comes from some very old Windows 8 version.

Huh? The first log linked was created minutes before I posted it - on a fully up-to-date win8.1. The rc3 log might be an old one though...

Btw,

dont know if this helps but i dont get any error after a restart in the debug.log except for:

[2014-01-22 05:50:51][0x78:0x188] CoCreateInstance(CLSID_WICImagingFactory, NULL, CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER, IID_PPV_ARGS(&pImageFactory)) failed with 0x800401F0
This same error message appears for me, but ONLY if I don NOT enable logging in the registry...

log

Edited by Soukyuu

Thanks, I finally found the problem. Your aerohost.exe is not running under SYSTEM account, but under its localized version СИСТЕМА which is the problem. Does certain localization really translate even default system names?

I guess that everyone who has the same problem just use Russian localization.

Well, I tried this. But dwm.pdb has not changed since 26/08/2013 and other people have said that black box happened in RC3 too (I didn't notice it in RC3 but I was not testing Aero Glass, just using PC normally). Why would dwm.pdb cause the black box problem?

Don't afraid, it has nothing to do with the symbols. Symbols can just slow down DLL injection which will result in working behaviour in case it is really caused by race condition (sometimes DLL injection is faster than system initializes WIC library).

What mean HIWORD of value in "TextGlowMode"? I have DWORD value 0x00000003. How i can increase glow size?

to create a DWORD from a HIWORD and LOWORD, you can use this equation: HIWORD * 65536 + LOWORD = your DWORD (in this, case HIWORD is the size of glow you want, LOWORD is 3, and the resulting DWORD is the number you hace to use in Registry)

So, if i want to make size of glow 2, then 2*65536 + 3 = 131075. This DWORD is 0x00131075 ?

Not exactly It's 131075 decimal or 0x00020003 hexadecimal