bigmuscle

Oomek, you might want to rethink turning on fast hybrid boot. It's trouble.

-Noel

There is nothing "trouble" about it - not on a fully compatible system. Developers just have to keep kernel suspending in mind when developing for win8.x, is all.

Thank you for killing that DWM window and thank you for updating program.

But here are 2 bugs I found and their slutions:

1) It simply did not work. When I tried to manually load it I got this error:

1390556082-clip-8kb.png

I found that even using rc3 version with new DWMGlass.dll file from version 1.0 will give the same error.

So I had to use old registry install way, manually set path to dll files etc.

2) Black box around a title of any window. Only windows of path like My Computer, any other such folder didnt have black box but any other window like Notepad window or Control Panel had it.

I had to use AeroGlass Configurator 3.0 and set TEXT GLOW MODE to 1. Then Apply and it will disable black box.

Edited by Ajvar

bigmuscle, I think I figured out why the blackbox issue is happening.

It looks like "fast boot" feature brings your hooking out of whack. Restarting (= no fast boot) doesn't lead to the blackbox issue and the task is also correctly delayed. However, shutting down, then fast booting leads to blackbox issue.

For me black box was seen even though I don‘t have Fast Boot enabled. But, as I said before, there was only 1 time when I faced the problem.

There is nothing "trouble" about it - not on a fully compatible system. Developers just have to keep kernel suspending in mind when developing for win8.x, is all.

Spoken as one with insufficient experience to be making such a statement. Consider, for example, that it shuts the system down with the file system dirty. People who dual-boot learn that in a hurry (not that I would advise dual booting either). I don't know about you, but I expect my system to be in a stable state when I shut it down, and I expect a startup to be fresh and clean, not carrying remnants of the last run.

But use if you like. I don't mean to be negative here; I'm just trying to pass on experience. Understand that you may be taking on additional problems by trying to save those extra seconds of bootup time. That's not theory, it's practical fact. Hey, I used to use Hibernate back in the days of XP, until I learned things just worked better when I didn't.

-Noel

What I can’t understand even after fixing this issue is how could aero glass set even if “symbols” weren’t there even after those ~25seconds?

I kind of remember that BigMuscle said, at some time during the development of the product, that he was going to have the software "fall back" to a method where the injection process would try to locate the proper place to do the hooking even if it didn't find the symbols available. As I recall he also said the functionality might be somewhat more limited (this is from dim memory; I've slept since then).

-Noel

Spoken as one with insufficient experience to be making such a statement. Consider, for example, that it shuts the system down with the file system dirty. People who dual-boot learn that in a hurry (not that I would advise dual booting either). I don't know about you, but I expect my system to be in a stable state when I shut it down, and I expect a startup to be fresh and clean, not carrying remnants of the last run.

Well, simple: don't use it if you are dual booting - it't not meant for that. Maybe I should reword my statement: There is nothing "trouble" about it - if you know what you are doing and you have a system compatible with it.

If you only have one OS and a BIOS based mainboard, you'd want the boot to be a short as possible, for me it shaves off about 10 seconds off boot time. I consider it to be worth it.

On topic:

For me black box was seen even though I don‘t have Fast Boot enabled. But, as I said before, there was only 1 time when I faced the problem.

Wasn't it the "black box on window opened before glass loaded", which goes away if you resize the window?

Wasn't it the "black box on window opened before glass loaded", which goes away if you resize the window?

No, the program was opened like an hour after logging on.

Thank you for killing that DWM window and thank you for updating program.

But here are 2 bugs I found and their slutions:

1) It simply did not work. When I tried to manually load it I got this error:

1390556082-clip-8kb.png

I found that even using rc3 version with new DWMGlass.dll file from version 1.0 will give the same error.

So I had to use old registry install way, manually set path to dll files etc.

2) Black box around a title of any window. Only windows of path like My Computer, any other such folder didnt have black box but any other window like Notepad window or Control Panel had it.

I had to use AeroGlass Configurator 3.0 and set TEXT GLOW MODE to 1. Then Apply and it will disable black box.

aerohost.exe isn‘t supposed to be opened from GUI (like the message says). You‘ve to use Task Scheduler.

I'd return to rc1 because of using non standard themes and uxstyle causes my system black screen at restart system. BM, plz return bypassing theme signatures back, your way works good - no black screens on any boot/restart. I think many users of Aero Glass uses another themes - they are looks better, and if you return this thing - i will donate one more time ).

First of all thanks a lot for this wonderful programm. I am using it on 8.1 64bit with a custom theme: http://carborunda.deviantart.com/art/Snowy8-for-Windows-8-8-1-409788674

I also donated two days ago.

Today, after a restart, new symbols were downloaded by dwm.exe. Unfortunately since then, neither the standard theme nor the custom are working anymore.

See attached screenshot: Left one: Standard thema - not flat anymore, everything else ok, but I like the flat one.

Right on: Custom theme, totally weird.

How do I get the old look back?

post-182467-0-09319500-1390584062_thumb.

@BigMuscle,

I liked the early incarnations of the software but held off using them permanently until now. I see you have what appears to be final release for 8.1 now on your website. So I donated, have a key and used the installer.
OK have generated the key and placed in the folder, that has cleared the watermark but I can't see any way of adjusting appearance.
Also at Startup this appeared: (see Edit below)

Capture_zps8a78e298.jpg

Edit: The installer wanted to install directly to C: drive and my Win 8.1 is on N: so made adjustments, wrongly it would seem.

Got rid of the above by moving the folder out of Program Files but still can't figure out how to configure Aero Glass effects.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong spot originally so simply copied that post over here.

Edited by Ex_Brit

I'd return to rc1 because of using non standard themes and uxstyle causes my system black screen at restart system. BM, plz return bypassing theme signatures back, your way works good - no black screens on any boot/restart. I think many users of Aero Glass uses another themes - they are looks better, and if you return this thing - i will donate one more time ).

I can't, because a) Aero Glass is DWM hook only and b) there is no correct way how to inject DLL into all processes in the system.

First of all thanks a lot for this wonderful programm. I am using it on 8.1 64bit with a custom theme: http://carborunda.deviantart.com/art/Snowy8-for-Windows-8-8-1-409788674

I also donated two days ago.

Today, after a restart, new symbols were downloaded by dwm.exe. Unfortunately since then, neither the standard theme nor the custom are working anymore.

See attached screenshot: Left one: Standard thema - not flat anymore, everything else ok, but I like the flat one.

Right on: Custom theme, totally weird.

How do I get the old look back?

You installed glass theme although you use your own theme. It's incompatible (I should add a notice into the installer). To change glass custom theme, read the guide on the website.

@BigMuscle,

I liked the early incarnations of the software but held off using them permanently until now. I see you have what appears to be final release for 8.1 now on your website. So I donated, have a key and used the installer.

OK have generated the key and placed in the folder, that has cleared the watermark but I can't see any way of adjusting appearance.

Also at Startup this appeared: (see Edit below)

Capture_zps8a78e298.jpg

Edit: The installer wanted to install directly to C: drive and my Win 8.1 is on N: so made adjustments, wrongly it would seem.

Got rid of the above by moving the folder out of Program Files but still can't figure out how to configure Aero Glass effects.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong spot originally so simply copied that post over here.

I don't understand you much. Your screenshot shows that Aero Glass works as expected, so where's the problem?

How add transparently for alt+tab?

In the same way how to add blur into any other window. You must use some tool which calls DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow for that window.

bigmuscle on 24 Jan 2014 - 1.29 PM said:

I don't understand you much. Your screenshot shows that Aero Glass works as expected, so where's the problem?

Sorry, without a corresponding AGTweaker I'm afraid I'm lost with settings. I guess I'll have to wait for a new version.

FYI that popup doesn't re-occur since I moved the folder to the root drive. I just wondered why it appeared at all.

Thanks.