bigmuscle

How do I uninstall the Windows Aero theme so I can try that other one? I installed it with a regular installer, but it isn't listed anywhere in the programs list...

are yoou serious? you dotn need to uninstall it, just go to desktop -> rightclick -> personalization and choose the win8 theme (dont forget to save your theme by rightclicking it so you can revert)

It would seriously nice if BM could complete it this week

I very highly doubt that he could complete it this week, I mean, if this next version also supports Windows 10 alongside the latest 8.1 updates, it'll be a long while before it gets completed. Not only that, but Microsoft is still working on Windows 10 day-in-and-day-out.

Edited by DoubleSAnimations

Good, if I have time, I could provide public betatesting during this week.

the potential exists...

btw wouldnt it be nicer to discuss the Win10 related thing in a seperate thread, so the bugreports for Win8 dont drown in all the Win10 things (and vice versa)...

Edited by My1

BigMuscle:

I just used your DLL tool to bypass UXTheme signature verification and it's not

working in Win10 build 9860 with AeroGlass (Win10 9600_9860pre-1414186123) and a third party theme.

Yes confirmed with Build 9860 it does nothing.

I spent several hours on finding the problem and the only difference is that CRYPTSP.DLL (used for theme signature verification) is now delay-loaded library. My code does not handle this correctly - or better, it is able to hook delayed imports but hooked IAT is restored by delayLoadHelper when the library is called for the first time. I will try to find some proper solution but it may take some time.

I spent several hours on finding the problem and the only difference is that CRYPTSP.DLL (used for theme signature verification) is now delay-loaded library. My code does not handle this correctly - or better, it is able to hook delayed imports but hooked IAT is restored by delayLoadHelper when the library is called for the first time. I will try to find some proper solution but it may take some time.

That's a bit depressing to hear since it means &$#&^@ Microsoft still hasn't gotten the message that they need to provide ways to do what people want not block everyone's attempt to turn their OS into something better.

I have this vision of the Microsoft CEO sitting alone in his walled garden, talking to the cucumbers.

-Noel

Conventional patchers also break system protection as well, rendering them unacceptable to people who would like to keep their systems sane and sound for the long term. 

Big Muscle's approach where the software works at run-time and even tries to automatic follow Microsoft's updates (thinking of how Aero Glass works with the symbol servers) is the only one that's even remotely acceptable.

-Noel