bigmuscle

anyways, i tried to get it all to work and to try and understand how to do the things i did not understand from you and your guide, i understood some parts but not enough to know what i was really doing. i came across however a forum which i believe you also post on, since i saw your username on there:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/53651-HowTo-Working-AeroGlass-for-W8-1-1-x64-x32

Thank you! Finally all is well!

New preview uploaded for the testers. Now it is one generic library which is able to run on both Win8.1 6.3.9600 and Win10 TP 6.4. It contains new features such as garbage collector for Direct2D resources to improve performance when moving windows between several displays.

• Works nicely on Win 10 6.4.9860.
  • Works nicely on Win 8.1 6.3.9600

The only thing I saw was that on my 8.1 test system, Aero Glass had been coming up without the nag dialog before, but the new version failed to load license.key (which I'd had on there since early in your Aero Glass development).  Apparently your software now ONLY uses donation.key (I remember you saying you'd change it to do that).  Easily solved by renaming the file.

I'm not able to make the window borders on Win 10 inactive windows as dark/transparent as I've done on Win 8.1.  This is not a new issue with this version.  You said there was some limitation with the Win 10 version, right?  I take it you've not been able to work around it?  Not a big deal; inactive windows are just gray (on a dark background) instead of black.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

@f23948

Well, you were doing the very definition of spamming a forum.

We've been coming here for over a year following development of Glass and other software. Why change for you?

Or are you trying to earn affiliate points by posting rubbish for a click through.....

Now I'm guilty of feeding a troll. :blushing:

Odd...  Only the dwmcore.pdb symbols automatically loaded successfully here.  uDWM.pdb fails.  Something may be wrong with Microsoft's servers at the moment, though a 1/3 success sure seems odd.  For what it's worth, Aero Glass only partially works after that.  Theme atlas resources are off a bit as compared to the prior version.

-Noel

Same here, Got it to work after some restarts....

New preview uploaded for the testers. Now it is one generic library which is able to run on both Win8.1 6.3.9600 and Win10 TP 6.4. It contains new features such as garbage collector for Direct2D resources to improve performance when moving windows between several displays.

• Works nicely on Win 10 6.4.9860.
  • Works nicely on Win 8.1 6.3.9600

The only thing I saw was that on my 8.1 test system, Aero Glass had been coming up without the nag dialog before, but the new version failed to load license.key (which I'd had on there since early in your Aero Glass development).  Apparently your software now ONLY uses donation.key (I remember you saying you'd change it to do that).  Easily solved by renaming the file.

I'm not able to make the window borders on Win 10 inactive windows as dark/transparent as I've done on Win 8.1.  This is not a new issue with this version.  You said there was some limitation with the Win 10 version, right?  I take it you've not been able to work around it?  Not a big deal; inactive windows are just gray (on a dark background) instead of black.

-Noel

Yes, only donation.key now. Changing the inactive colour is currently not possible on Win10 - or better, it is possible but because it is not possible to change the transparency level (you can distinguish between active and inactive frame), other colors than the default 235,235,235 looks very bad so I left the default value.

Edited by bigmuscle

Thanks, BigMuscle.  I'd certainly like to be able to change the inactive color to darken it some, but it's not unacceptable as is.

Since it can't be set to a dark color, note how the inactive Win 10 window border whites out against a light background.

Win81Win10Comparison.png

Could you not just make it follow the setting in the registry to give people the opportunity to configure it as they see fit, even if the transparency can't be adjusted separately?

-Noel

Yeah, I made some improvements to it to allow custom color settings. Now it does not use the DWM's default 235,235,235 but just lighters the active color to have at least something useful when custom inactive color is not set.

win10_9860.jpg

Yeah, I made some improvements to it to allow custom color settings. Now it does not use the DWM's default 235,235,235 but just lighters the active color to have at least something useful when custom inactive color is not set.

Sounds great.  Just to make sure I understand you...  You're saying that the custom inactive color will be able to be set with the next build via the ColorizationColorInactive DWORD value in the DWM key?  That's the setting that I don't see do anything now, with the 1.2.6 beta for Win 10.

-Noel

Did a recent update from Microsoft break Aero Glass on windows 8.1? I did a fresh format on my PC today and went to install Aero Glass and this time it fails and says something about wrong symbols or something. Its always worked in the past when I do a fresh format. Only difference is the updates from microsoft.