bigmuscle

I must say, the only two things that stop me using Win 10 TP on my main desktop is the lack of Glass, and also the Lack of Media Centre (which is the successful way I could use my tv card). Interface really does make a difference, and currently, there are no technological advancements on Win 10. (I guess this post *could* be off topic!)

I was successful installing Media Center on my Win 10 TP VMWare installation using the free key Microsoft sent me in 2012!

I must say, the only two things that stop me using Win 10 TP on my main desktop is the lack of Glass, and also the Lack of Media Centre (which is the successful way I could use my tv card). Interface really does make a difference, and currently, there are no technological advancements on Win 10. (I guess this post *could* be off topic!)

I was successful installing Media Center on my Win 10 TP VMWare installation using the free key Microsoft sent me in 2012!
I must try that!

Now I just need a good way to back up my channel settings (sat TV card - took me forever to remove the excess 500 useless channels).

Sent from my Nexus 4 running CM11 (KK 4.4.4) using Tapatalk

Beware... 

This can potentially happen, though obviously you haven't paid anything for Windows 10:  http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172440-i-fell-through-a-microsoft-trap-door/

For those of you considering moving up to Windows 10 as your main OS (i.e., not as just a test)...  You do realize that it will expire (in 2015) and it will likely not be upgradeable to a licensed system, right?

-Noel

Beware... 

This can potentially happen, though obviously you haven't paid anything for Windows 10:  http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172440-i-fell-through-a-microsoft-trap-door/

For those of you considering moving up to Windows 10 as your main OS (i.e., not as just a test)...  You do realize that it will expire (in 2015) and it will likely not be upgradeable to a licensed system, right?

-Noel

Right, I know this. It will either need a clean install or a revert back to 8, then 8.1 and then finally 10. But I think I am ok with that - however, that might be a good reason to stay with 8.1 on my main pc, which is fine really. Now if only I could backup 8.1 and all its updates xD

Edit: Just to follow up, adding Media Centre from the previous key makes the OS Windows 8 again, but with the start menu and etc from Windows 10, as an evaluation copy of the OS... SO no change really.

Edit: It seems to have problems like Windows Updates check for the wrong version of Windows.

Sorry, this is really off topic :D

Edited by drakenabarion

Why can't you back up 8.1?  The system comes with the ability to make both a bootable System Recovery Drive and a System Image backup.

In addition to Big Muscle's most excellent product, what we also need is for some of the folks around this site who are into theming to figure out how to restore a theme with a border around it to Windows 10, as well as a more reasonable drop shadow.  Even though the Aero Glass on the title bar will help, I find the borderless look disruptive to being able to separate multiple windows visually.  There's the one big drop shadow that appears (slightly after the fact) on only the window that has the focus, but it's not enough. 

Microsoft seems to want to go ANYWHERE BUT the direction of the things that have worked well in the past, which I can't understand given the stated thrust of "we'll make Win 10 what you want again".

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Why can't you back up 8.1?  The system comes with the ability to make both a bootable System Recovery Drive and a System Image backup.

-Noel

This is because the System Recovery Drive /System Image Backup backup for Windows 8, and I updated to 8.1 from the App Store, which does not update the part of the system that makes a backup... Unless I am completely mistaken, in which case, ignore me :D

The System Image backup does the whole drive; it's capable of restoring a system to bare metal.

The requirement of the Recovery Drive is to be able to boot into the WinRE environment, within which you can choose to restore that System Image backup.  Whether your system can boot successfully from a USB I don't know.  Another option might be to get a Win 8.1 ISO and burn it to a DVD that can be booted.  I'm not sure, as I would use the Microsoft Win 8.1 Pro disc I bought if I had to do a restore.

-Noel

Microsoft seems to want to go ANYWHERE BUT the direction of the things that have worked well in the past, which I can't understand given the stated thrust of "we'll make Win 10 what you want again".

-Noel

Microsoft wants to go FORWARD.  I do not want to go back to the days of Windows for Workgroups 3.11.  That worked really well, also.  I enjoy the direction Microsoft is headed except for the dreaded Start MENU!

Microsoft wants to go FORWARD.  

Sure :yes: and clearly they are FAILing at it.

If you think a bit about it, there is nothing really "new" in the "workflow" or "interface" of either 8/8.1 or 10, only some (IMHO hideous) graphical changes to the UI (some of which you are trying to revert through the use of Aero Glass) and the perfectly unuseful "global" search.

The only "new" thing in the 10 UI is maybe the multiple switchable desktops, something that I have in Litestep/blackbox since several years.

jaclaz

Preview version for Win10 TP (64-bit only) has been uploaded to the testers' profiles (if some of the testers don't see the link there, contact me again. Some of you didn't post me your e-mail address at all). Blur effect and almost all features should be fully working. It is not possible to customize colours for inactive frames yet and I don't reimplement this feature now. The part behind it changed a lot in Win10's DWM and I still see there a place for other changes, so it makes no sense to reimplement it now before Win10 RTM is released.

Normally install it using the Task Scheduler script available in the website's guide and generate new key if needed (I added two additional keys for every tester so use them). Do not report bugs one by one (except of really fatal bugs), just write them down and report them all at once e.g. after several days.

Edited by bigmuscle