bigmuscle

Hi, I'm having issues with the glass lagging when I drag windows between monitors. Not sure if you tested it on a hybrid-GPU setup (like NVIDIA Optimus) but it seems that's causing the issue on my computer here. Tried aero glass for windows 8 on another laptop with only an Intel Graphics card and that computer doesn't appear to have an issue. Please fix as the lag can get rather annoying. Also, this issue with NVIDIA Optimus wasn't present in Windows 7. I updated both the Intel and NVIDIA Graphics drivers to the latest version but it seems the issue is still present as it's an issue with aero glass.

I know this question sounds stupid, but can you use this or the one for Win8.0 on Windows SEVEN?

Reason: I wanna turn off the blur, but I have found nothing for only disabling blur, all I found was making it completely transparent -> not what I want...

I know this question sounds stupid, but can you use this or the one for Win8.0 on Windows SEVEN?

Reason: I wanna turn off the blur, but I have found nothing for only disabling blur, all I found was making it completely transparent -> not what I want...

None of bigmuscle's aero glass will work on Windows 7

Hi, I'm having issues with the glass lagging when I drag windows between monitors. Not sure if you tested it on a hybrid-GPU setup (like NVIDIA Optimus) but it seems that's causing the issue on my computer here. Tried aero glass for windows 8 on another laptop with only an Intel Graphics card and that computer doesn't appear to have an issue. Please fix as the lag can get rather annoying. Also, this issue with NVIDIA Optimus wasn't present in Windows 7. I updated both the Intel and NVIDIA Graphics drivers to the latest version but it seems the issue is still present as it's an issue with aero glass.

I'm aware of this issue. There is a procedure when rendering blur effect and Direct2D device (or resolution) is different from last rendering than all device-dependent stuff (buffers etc.) are destroyed and reinitialized for the new device/resolution. This is done to avoid memory leak when device changes. But it causes problem when rendering by more devices simultaneously. I don't have correct solution yet.

I'm aware of this issue. There is a procedure when rendering blur effect and Direct2D device (or resolution) is different from last rendering than all device-dependent stuff (buffers etc.) are destroyed and reinitialized for the new device/resolution. This is done to avoid memory leak when device changes. But it causes problem when rendering by more devices simultaneously. I don't have correct solution yet.

I guess that makes sense.  I'm seeing nothing like a lag, not even a little bit.  Is this because all my monitors have the same 100 ppi resolution?  The pixel count on each is different (1200 x 1600 on the side monitors and 2560 x 1600 on the center one).

-Noel

No, it is because all your monitors are connected to the same video adapter, so DWM creates only one large render target for them (as max(width) x max(height)). When having more adapters, each must be handled separately. I will probably make some kind of garbage collector -> don't release resources on device/resolution change, but only create new one and release unused resources later (e.g. if no glass rendering has been asked for 5 minutes or something like that). This can make memory usage spike when someone changes devices/resolution too often, but I think this is very rare case.

I've got a problem with multiple video adapter but not the same : when I use some apps (like java apps) DWM use all cpu resources ! I have 3 monitors : 2 on an nVidia card and the third on the Intel HD.

No, it is because all your monitors are connected to the same video adapter, so DWM creates only one large render target for them (as max(width) x max(height)). When having more adapters, each must be handled separately. I will probably make some kind of garbage collector -> don't release resources on device/resolution change, but only create new one and release unused resources later (e.g. if no glass rendering has been asked for 5 minutes or something like that). This can make memory usage spike when someone changes devices/resolution too often, but I think this is very rare case.

If 2 monitors (connected to 1 video card) have different refrsh rate (like one 50Hz, one 100Hz), when a DXVA2 video window span between the 2 monitors, the DWM will hog lots of CPU when using Aeroglass 1.2.5.

No such CPU hogging without Aeroglass, please check.

Nice idea, but I expect it won't make any difference and we'll have to rely upon Big Muscle's product and possibly theming hacks again.  Microsoft has some strange idea where we all need to go with computing that's disconnected from anything we want.

-Noel

Nice idea, but I expect it won't make any difference and we'll have to rely upon Big Muscle's product and possibly theming hacks again.  Microsoft has some strange idea where we all need to go with computing that's disconnected from anything we want.

-Noel

Agreed, Noel. I've participated in quite a few other technet threads with you; mainly IE8 to IE9 and their removal of a hell of a lot of features, so I share your scepticism this whole "we want your feedback" and whether it will change anything.

Still, in the Windows 10 TP feedback app a lot of people are also asking for Aero. So, who knows? There's always some hope! Though if they don't listen this time around I will admit they'll have exhausted my patience. 

Still, in the Windows 10 TP feedback app a lot of people are also asking for Aero. So, who knows? There's always some hope! Though if they don't listen this time around I will admit they'll have exhausted my patience. 

I've provided what feedback I could in this app - There is a huge amount of feedback asking to fix everything wrong with Windows 8 - and I hope its listened to.

And yes, I've seen at least 15 different feedback posts requesting glass, and a few requesting a customisable theme engine. But given their general borderless theme, which includes several elements that improve the theme, was implemented so badly, I have little confidence in MS to do a good UI anymore.

I look forward to seeing 10 in a glassy way but for now I am staying with 8.1, made act like Windows 7, with thanks to BigMuscle (and also startisback).