bigmuscle

Specular: layered windows are often set by some 3rd party hack such as WinAeroGlass utility or similar. Maybe you could provide the screenshots of your registry keys: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM and HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM so I can check whether there is not some incompatible setup.

simonking: it has already been discussed here countless-times, so no need to ask and answer it again.

There's 88 pages, which page does the discussion start on, so I might read this without needing you to duplicate information?

There's 88 pages, which page does the discussion start on, so I might read this without needing you to duplicate information?

Maybe it's 88 pages because people don't take the little time to look into what was posted and makes a new post asking where a given topic has been discussed? :unsure:

However :whistle::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170850-aero-glass-for-win81-125/?p=1085704

jaclaz

Maybe it's 88 pages because people don't take the little time to look into what was posted and makes a new post asking where a given topic has been discussed? :unsure:

However :whistle::

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170850-aero-glass-for-win81-125/?p=1085704

jaclaz

Are you seriously holding me accountable for the poor organization of this support forum here?

One idea I get from this software though is to call a commercial product donation-ware. Then suddenly it appears all the "commercial/private island owning software developer" haters are instantly converted to the cause :D

I was unable to get the symbols issue sorted, feel free to blame my level of intelligence or whatever draws your fancy. To be honest, I found it easier to author this small applet:

www.<<spam>>.co/pnukeaero.7zip

It will remove both the nag screen, as well as the symbols missing error. No donations needed, source code included, and this is not a crack :)

For those - like me - who experience problems with the latest Windows Updates and Aero Glass,the procedure for manually installing symbols is easy.

You probably don't even need to install Windows Debugging Tools ;)

• Just create a txt in C:\AeroGlass or wherever you have AeroGlass installed
  • Paste the following:
MKDIR %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsCD C:\Windows\System32XCOPY "dwm.exe" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsXCOPY "dwmcore.dll" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsXCOPY "uDWM.dll" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsCD C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x64SYMCHK /r %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls /s SRV*C:\AeroGlass\symbols\*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbolsRD /S /Q "%userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls"
  • Save the file and rename it to symbols.cmd
  • Right Click and run as Administrator

That's it, the Symbols folder should have been created inside your aeroglass installation folder! Hope this helps :) 

PS maybe info like this should be part of the OP, or be included in a readme or somewhere on aeroglass site? *hint hint*  :thumbup

Obi-Wan, always a pleasure to meet a Jedi :)

Where does one get SYMCHK if not the kit you mentioned? The batch failed there for me.

Look, I have no problem to help anyone with any problem, especially when information is lost in many page. However, I will not repeat something which has been discussed milliontimes here (so not only one or two posts, but almost every second post). We are here to help people but not to solve the user's laziness.

One idea I get from this software though is to call a commercial product donation-ware. Then suddenly it appears all the "commercial/private island owning software developer" haters are instantly converted to the cause :D

Then you are probably using different software, because this software:

a.) has never been called commercial

b.) has never been called donation-ware

It will remove both the nag screen, as well as the symbols missing error. No donations needed, source code included, and this is not a crack  :)

If anyone wants to use this file, he can. It is not crack, it just autoclicks "Cancel" button on "DWM incompatibility error" which ignores the symbols and correct occlusion data will not be loaded = you will often see invalid content in transparent regions.

This info is already there. But I will not put there exact steps to get the symbols, because automatic symbol procedure is specific bonus of full version. If user does not want to support the development, then he must help on its own, e.g. by reading the forum ;-)

This info is already there. But I will not put there exact steps to get the symbols, because automatic symbol procedure is specific bonus of full version. If user does not want to support the development, then he must help on its own, e.g. by reading the forum ;-)

Yup, all the info to get Aeroglass working just the way you want it is in this forum.  I put in the time, and effort to read it.  I am sure others are capable of the same.

Try to remove BlurDeviation settings. Your value is too high and if it is not the cause of your problem, it can cause performance degradation.

Unfortunately changing the BlurDeviation made no difference, but it was set to that value for a long time before this anyway.

I also found 37 minidump files totalling 5.63GB being created in the root Aero Glass directory, from the 17th of September to today, yet I thought that debugging feature was disabled already :\ The 17th was the date I changed the Atlas theme, which does seem to coincide with noticing the glitchy transparency.

Edit 2: adding a blank 'CustomThemeAtlas' entry to the HKCU and manually changing the current 'unsaved theme' in the desktop 'Personalise' control panel to a previous saved theme seems to have dramatically reduced this issue, it's now no longer noticable when hoving over most close buttons. Will test some more over the coming days. BTW 19 new minidumps were created in the root folder in the last little while though :o Wish there was a way to disable these.

Edited by Specular

Look, I have no problem to help anyone with any problem, especially when information is lost in many page. However, I will not repeat something which has been discussed milliontimes here (so not only one or two posts, but almost every second post). We are here to help people but not to solve the user's laziness.

Then you are probably using different software, because this software:

a) has never been called commercial

B) has never been called donation-ware

It will remove both the nag screen, as well as the symbols missing error. No donations needed, source code included, and this is not a crack  :)

If anyone wants to use this file, he can. It is not crack, it just autoclicks "Cancel" button on "DWM incompatibility error" which ignores the symbols and correct occlusion data will not be loaded = you will often see invalid content in transparent regions.

Excuse me, maybe I am a little touchy on this subject because I get harassed everywhere about my "commercial" project; but as far as I can tell, yours is at least as commercial as mine. You display nag screens and a permanent watermark on the wallpaper without a donation, moreover you exclude product features, again without a donation. I do similar things with my software, I disallow stronger full disk compression settings without payment, and display nag screens, I don't see much of a difference. In fact, I do allow my customers to order with a 30 day money back guarantee - many of them do take advantage of this and refund their purchase and I simply trust them to not abuse the serial key they have already received; you don't even have such a "unconditional donation refund" option. So in that regard, your software may be considered even more commercial than mine, but again, on this particular very touchy issue of mine, I notice that I get all the flak for trying to "profit" from my work just because its not called donation-ware.

FWIW, the "non-crack" I posted here does also eliminate your nag screen. If anyone wants to eliminate it from this forum, because it breaks some rules; they're more than welcome. The source code does illustrate how trivial it is to bypass nag screens by sending window messages. In all honesty, it was easier building this than working around the symbols issue. But perhaps it wouldn't be considered a "crack" after all, since your product is not commercial at the end of the day, right ;)

I do appreciate your work and I don't want to give you a hard time about it. I believe people should be able to make a living doing what they love, and if that is coding, then people should be able to make a living coding. It's up to you whether you're calling this commercial or donation-ware, but frankly, if we're not mincing words, I don't see what the difference is in this particular case. Just my five cents worth here.

Could you upload some of these minidumps?

I've since deleted the ones from the 17-27th and the other 19, as they were taking up space, but another minidump has been created so I can upload that in about four days time (bandwidth cap is close to the upper limit currently). Is there any identifiable information about the system/user stored within the files?

Edited by Specular