bigmuscle

I like it as default that aero turns off when running on battery. That way I know I'm running on battery. Also NoelC said that bigmuscle intended it to behave the same as it did with Windows 7. Back in windows 7 times poeple never complained about Aero not running on battery

I think if we took a straw vote with those of us on Laps and Tablets More would want Aero "Enabled" with battery than Not, also you should have the "Battery Indicator" Icon displayed in your taskbar when on battery.

~DP :whistle:

"Also NoelC said that bigmuscle intended it to behave the same as it did with Windows 7. Back in windows 7 times poeple never complained about Aero not running on battery"

That's a bunch of crock, my Windows 7 with Aero works all the time while on Battery.

~DP :thumbup

W7_Aero_On_Battery.png

Ow, come on :).

This senseless debate on whether Aero should be enabled or not when on battery dates back to Windows Vista :ph34r:, it has been talked about and everything (and the contrary of it) has been written about it, several OEM's provided their laptops with specific apps, tens of independent Authors wrote software to fine tune this (or that) aspect of the interface when running on battery and noone ever found a "one-size-fits-all" solution that prevented someone from whining about the default setting (whatever it was).

It is about freedom, it is about having options to do what you want with the stupid GUI of the stupid OS, just like themes, just like having Aero enabled or not.

The default for AeroGlass is to turn Aero off on battery. <- this is a decision by it's Author, the last character is a "full stop" or "period".

This prevents the whining from people that like it disabled on battery, BUT it provokes the whining by those that like it enabled.

IF the default setting will be changed to Aero On on battery, we will have all the people wanting it Off whining as well.

A simple Registry edit or using the installer by moataz can change this setting in no time.

Please read the above as "there is NO issue whatever", you can't prevent everyone from whining there will always be someone unhappy about any decision taken by someone else :(.

jaclaz

@jaclaz : We are well aware that the decision to disable aero by default on battery was made by the developer, without you having to point it out. You have been going on and on about "whining" in your last few posts, and it sounds like you are whining about whining.

We are merely giving small suggestions, and that is what we registered on this forum for. Giving a suggestion is not the same thing as whining - it is merely a suggestion, a proposition, a recommendation.    <--And that's a period as well.

Please get rid of this notion that there are several people here whining to bigmuscle and hassling him. There hasn't been, in the past few pages - other than you own whining. So you may want to dispense with these long rants about whiners. (That's also a suggestion, a recommendation, a proposal - you are free to ignore it, just as BM is free to ignore or heed a suggestion or two from users.)

In short : We are not whining, so quit whining about whining.

"Also NoelC said that bigmuscle intended it to behave the same as it did with Windows 7. Back in windows 7 times poeple never complained about Aero not running on battery"

That's a bunch of crock, my Windows 7 with Aero works all the time while on Battery.

IIRC, there is a setting in Win7 to enable it while on battery.

Version 1.0 = 1

Version 2.x = 2

Version 3.xx = 3

Version 95 = 4

Version 98 = 5

Millennium = 6

XP = 7

Vista = 8

Windows 7 = 9

Windows 8.X =10

This is to clarify the order of major releases. I have had them all.

As far as common is concerned, most builds are under the hood, not the gui seen. Moves such as 8 bit to 16 bit etc. require huge recoding and introductions of base driver libraries. Windows NT and Windows 2000 are not included in the line up as they were intended for professional releases and not for the home user. It was not until the release of XP, that the NTFS file system format was merged into the public realm with it's full support of the 32-bit structure. Windows 98 SE was still 98 but a poor attempt from Microsoft to get people to buy the same version 98 with basically USB support.

When I ran 7 on my laptop, if the default power routine of 'Balanced' was use, Aero was solid on battery, and glass on AC. When I made a custom or 'High Performance' routine, then glass worked on battery. To clarify a little, when I re-installed 7 it would work this way as 'Balanced' is a default. Some higher end performance laptops like Alienware would use the 'High Performance' routine from the factory. So it depends on what the machine was marketed for.

When running Aero glass, there is a slight performance hit on the battery life, that is why a balanced routine is default from Microsoft. AeroGlass is designed to be as native with DWM as possible. DWM will run according to system wide settings. As 8/8.1 does away with Aero, it was not designed to have a 'battery' setting and in most cases will have to be created in the registry.

This whole battery on and off thing has proliferated this forum from the beginning. Bigmuscle has the beta program to change some registry settings for those uncomfortable in doing it manually. At some point in time, I am sure he will integrate this into the install routine. He develops in his free time, not ours.

Once again, it is all about READING the instructions on the pages of the programs web site. The guide page is there to address most of the tweaks available.

For those who would like to have a file to merge into the registry easily, then copy and paste the following into notepad and save as "DisableOnBattery.reg". Double click and it will merge into the registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]

"DisableGlassOnBattery"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]

"DisableGlassOnBattery"=dword:00000000

This is about as simple as you can get.

Edited by Wolfshadow

Good day!

Still going to move to Windows 8.1 with the help of the store, but, of course, the installation program prompts me with version Update 1. So I want to ask, what can I do, because I feel that the project is no longer being developed, and the version AeroGlass 1.2.5 will fail .

Good day!

Still going to move to Windows 8.1 with the help of the store, but, of course, the installation program prompts me with version Update 1. So I want to ask, what can I do, because I feel that the project is no longer being developed, and the version AeroGlass 1.2.5 will fail .

It works on Windows 8.1 with Update 1 and this month updates. There no need for bigmuscle to update it. He will only update it if microsoft releases updates that would disable the aeroglass

@jaclaz : We are well aware that the decision to disable aero by default on battery was made by the developer, without you having to point it out. You have been going on and on about "whining" in your last few posts, and it sounds like you are whining about whining.

We are merely giving small suggestions, and that is what we registered on this forum for. Giving a suggestion is not the same thing as whining - it is merely a suggestion, a proposition, a recommendation.    <--And that's a period as well.

Please get rid of this notion that there are several people here whining to bigmuscle and hassling him. There hasn't been, in the past few pages - other than you own whining. So you may want to dispense with these long rants about whiners. (That's also a suggestion, a recommendation, a proposal - you are free to ignore it, just as BM is free to ignore or heed a suggestion or two from users.)

If you read attentively my previous post, it is not at all related to the whining (and never said that you - specifically - were whining :no:) it was about the futility of re-doing here the debate about this should be default, no this other should be default, but it used to be this the default, no, it was this other one that was default, I had an OS install that had this as default, no, I had that same OS and it was this other as default, etc. 

And yes, after the debate, whatever the developer will choose as default,  someone will come here and whine.

jaclaz

If you read attentively my previous post, it is not at all related to the whining (and never said that you - specifically - were whining :no:) it was about the futility of re-doing here the debate about this should be default, no this other should be default, but it used to be this the default, no, it was this other one that was default, I had an OS install that had this as default, no, I had that same OS and it was this other as default, etc. 

And yes, after the debate, whatever the developer will choose as default,  someone will come here and whine.

jaclaz

I got the impression that your comment was directed at me, since I brought up this particular topic of changing the default on this page. Apologies if I misread you.

Good day!

It works on Windows 8.1 with Update 1 and this month updates. There no need for bigmuscle to update it. He will only update it if microsoft releases updates that would disable the aeroglass
That is, there is no need to download the debug symbols - a tool by Bigmuscle works out of the box?

I got the impression that your comment was directed at me, since I brought up this particular topic of changing the default on this page. Apologies if I misread you.

No prob. :)

... everything is well that ends well ...

jaclaz

Hey Big Muscle, I have a question for you...

I have heard that the next ATI Catalyst driver release is going to enable 30 bit color (10 bits per color) capability on my Radeon HD 7850 (see this).

Do you know of any reason that would not work with Aero Glass for Windows 8.1?  I don't have the depth of knowledge you have about DWM and desktop operations.  It might be that everything you do in Aero Glass depends on an 8 bits per color depth, I don't know.

Ideally I would like to enable 30 bit color for use in Photoshop CC, and still have all the functionality of Aero Glass I now have on my desktop.  But I suspect it's not going to be as simple as just throwing the switch when the software's released and just have it all work.

I'd test it myself, and I have beta tested ATI drivers in the past, but I'm in a situation right now where I need my workstation to remain stable, as it is now with ATI Catalyst 14.4.

Honestly, if it comes down to either being able to run Aero Glass or being able to select 10 bit color, I'd probably opt for the former.  The stock standard Windows 8.1 desktop theme makes me want to shoot holes in the monitor.

-Noel

My laptop is running 32 bit true color and aero is working fine Noel. I don't think you will have a problem. I am using NVidia drivers, the latest one.

I also have worked in Photoshop with 32 bit indexed images without a problem.

Not sure what ATI is eluding to with the 30 bit support....

Edited by Wolfshadow