bigmuscle

It is what tools such as WinAeroglass are using - periodally spams all visible windows with WinAPI message to set layered flag on that window. It causes all windows to be rendered with alpha value of 254 which makes the content behind the window visible.

It is what tools such as WinAeroglass are using - periodally spams all visible windows with WinAPI message to set layered flag on that window. It causes all windows to be rendered with alpha value of 254 which makes the content behind the window visible.

I think you are right, it must be layered windows hack, HERE are the commands i used. :)

AutoHotkey:

#NoTrayIcon#NoEnvLOOP{WinSet, Transparent, 254, AWinWaitNotActive,}

Rgedit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"ColorizationGlassAttribute"=dword:00000002

Has anyone been able with any possible tool to have a taskbar really close to the one on Windows 8 with Aero Blur ? I miss me so much.

Seems to me you can get it pretty close to what an older system used to look like through tweaking of the Color Intensity, etc. in Windows and also the various parameters in the registry that Big Muscle provides support for...

What about it, specifically, do you find troublesome to look at?  Keep in mind the implementation of the theme may have more to do with the differences you're sensing than the actual blur.  Could you be missing the border, or maybe the different, more "glossy" style on buttons, etc?  Of course I don't know what your Win 8 system used to look like.

Examples:

Windows 7 standard Aero Glass theme:

Win7TaskBar.png

Windows 8.1 with Aero Glass for Win 8.1 with similar color choices to the above:

Win8TaskBar.png

-Noel 

From the office it is really difficult to explain but i will try to explain the two things which are not similar to Win7.

Try the following, take chrome, open as many tabs as you can and place chrome Maximised.

Then add one or two application also in Maximised window, compare Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 Aero Blur.

You will see to much the tabs of Chrome in the other maximised Windows.

Now there is maybe some tweaking i did not but until now i have lot of possibilities on the AeroGlassConfigurator

Below i have a screenshot, you see the difference between blur of Bigmuscle and any other used tool. The one of Bigmuscle is getting closer to Win7 than the one on the Taskbar. 

Blurred%20taskbar%20Example.PNG

That are for me the two things which does not loot at Win7, there are details but i wanted to show them.

Edited by gontie

Is there any way to specify a different color for the taskbar and the rest of the Windows ?

This could improve a lot the current Aero Glass possibilities...

Thanks

Is there any way to specify a different color for the taskbar and the rest of the Windows ?

Thanks

Use Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Color and Appearance

OR

Edit the theme file or msstyles file.

OR

Install StartIsBack and use the custom color feature, which will make Taskbar and Start Menu have a different color than windows theme.

Edited by ace2

Thanks

Use Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Color and Appearance

OR

Edit the theme file or msstyles file.

OR

Install StartIsBack and use the custom color feature, which will make Taskbar and Start Menu have a different color than windows theme.

Thanks Ace for your quick reply, Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Color and Appearance is not valid since the same color will be applied to the windows and the taskbar.

I will try to edit the Theme file, do you have any idea how to proceed ?

Thanks.

Thanks Ace for your quick reply, Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization\Color and Appearance is not valid since the same color will be applied to the windows and the taskbar.

Thanks.

I would use StartIsBack , quick and easy. ;)

StartIsBack Custom Colors:

post-378787-0-47155200-1399752127_thumb.

Edited by ace2

Thanks.

I would use StartIsBack , quick and easy. ;)

StartIsBack Custom Colors:

attachicon.gifStartIsBack.jpg

Indeed, but i don't want to use a start menu ;)

I prefere from far the WIndows 8 start menu ;)

Edit : 

I've tested the same wallpaper on WIn7 and WIn 8.1, there is still something missing specially about having multiple windows in fullscreens.

Big Muscle are you aware of that ?

Sorry to bother and thanks for your help.

Edited by gontie

Guys, can u tell me how to enable shadow? It wont show up. The win8cp.png theme file has shadow.

Also, windows explorer titlebar does not have the white blur around the writing.

Pls help me.

Edited by axelrock

Guys, can u tell me how to enable shadow? It wont show up. The win8cp.png theme file has shadow.

Also, windows explorer titlebar does not have the white blur around the writing.

Pls help me.

I did a post on my blog about this a few weeks ago, describes how to do everything you just asked about:

http://www.chris123nt.com/2014/04/10/how-to-get-aero-glass-back-in-windows-8-1/

The symbols part isn't needed anymore since bigmuscle released a hardcoded release for update 1.

Does anybody know why Microsoft had to remove the classic theme in the first place? It reminds me of good typography where one is supposed to NOT notice the page design so one can go about actually reading the content. The classic theme is just so stripped away of all nonsense that I can actually focus on my work so I can get somewhere in life.........

My opinion:  It represents a very decisive and obvious step by Microsoft away from "make something that facilitates users' work" and toward "make something that manipulates users into spending more money at the App Store".

Despite all the feeble and lame excuses Microsoft Marketing has tried to make ("power consumption" this and "digitally authentic" that), it simply cannot be said that making the desktop harder to use benefits users.  Make no mistake, by deleting functionality and hobbling Aero Microsoft IS making it harder to use, no matter how much hype they shovel.

Traditional thinking is that people and culture to be swayed toward things that are truly better (e.g., "better mousetrap"), and we all implicitly expect technology improvement to actually make things truly better for us, not increase the sophistication with which we can be fleeced.

But making good things better is actually hard to do, once those good things become very good.  It's far, far easier to make "legacy" things worse.

Thank God we have 3rd party developers like Big Muscle to restore some of the deleted functionality, this time around.  Next time...  Sigh.

-Noel

I end up getting PayPal to work and I had donated for 6 keys which keep me going for few computer upgrades. It works excellent on Windows 8.1 update 1. Thanks for this. I seen on other msfn forums about people complaining having to pay to get rid of nags. Which you got all rights to charge for your work. I keep donating when I used all my keys up. Keep up the good work :)