bigmuscle

my mystery solved! I had a problem of transparency/blur not working yesterday even though the dwmglass.dll was loading fine according to the log. It turns out to be related to DisableGlassOnBattery registry setting (what a timing that cmdshft posted his issue right after mine). it mysteriously (so it seemed) started to work for me because I plugged in power while I was posting my issue here last night. While cmdshft seemed to have ran the 32-bit installer on a 64-bit machine and the DisableGlassOnBattery ended up under "Wow6432Node" node, I ran the 64-bit installer, which didn't put DisableGlassOnBattery registry value anywhere. After manually setting the registry value and setting it to 0, aero glass now works consistently!

That is why I read this forum. I constantly find good information.

Isn't the installer both 32+64-bit? I'm guessing for some reason, when it goes to add registry values, it's not checking properly on which version it's being installed to. Otherwise, why would I get the Wow6432Node registry settings and others not on 64-bit? This seems to be a bug with the installer.

Isn't the installer both 32+64-bit? I'm guessing for some reason, when it goes to add registry values, it's not checking properly on which version it's being installed to. Otherwise, why would I get the Wow6432Node registry settings and others not on 64-bit? This seems to be a bug with the installer.

Are you installing to 32-bit Windows? I am using 64-bit.

Are you installing to 32-bit Windows? I am using 64-bit.

No, I am using the installer on x64 Win 8.1. Dunno why it installed symbolic keys.

I have a stationary computer with 64-bit Windows 8.1. It is a new Asus M51AC delivered with Win8.1 and has been running fine with Aero Glass for a week, looking good. However, today I decided to add IIS to the machine, and after reconfiguring, I am locked out from my own computer.

Aero Glass sits in a loop where it continously pops up MessabeBoxes on the login screen;

Compatibility Issue

Your DWM is incompatible with Aero Glass!

See debug log for more details.

Do you want to retry symbols downloading?

[Retry] [Cancel]

Regardsless of what I answer, Aero Glass immediately redisplays the same MessageBox, effectively making it almost impossible to be quick enough to type my login password for Windows.

When I succeed, the desktop is shown for a two seconds, them I'm thrown back into the lock/login screen with the eternal MessageBox from Aero Glass about "Compatibility Issue".

I need to use my computer! How can I get rid of these Aero Glass problems?

IIRC, if you hold down the CTRL key while booting and starting the machine, I think that will keep Aero Glass from loading. Then you should be able to remove and reinstall it.

Cheers and Regards

bphlpt: thankyou. After trying twice to hold down the Ctrl key, I managed to uninstall Aero Glass.

But if I reinstall it, the same thing happens again: Aero Glass starts looping with MessageBox:es about "Compatibility Issue". It has filled up my disk completely, about 100GB of thousands of mini-dump files (so it crashes, that's why it appears to loop eternally).

My DWM is 6.3.9600.17031 from 2014-02-22.

I have a log file (it is very large) if anyone is interested. For now I have no choice but to run without Aero Glass.

Edited by LasseSL500

bphlpt: thankyou. After trying twice to hold down the Ctrl key, I managed to uninstall Aero Glass.

But if I reinstall it, the same thing happens again: Aero Glass starts looping with MessageBox:es about "Compatibility Issue". It has filled up my disk completely, about 100GB of thousands of mini-dump files (so it crashes, that's why it appears to loop eternally).

My DWM is 6.3.9600.17031 from 2014-02-22.

I have a log file (it is very large) if anyone is interested. For now I have no choice but to run without Aero Glass.

Read Post #1083

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170850-aero-glass-for-win81-121/page-44#entry1074888

Thanks ace2 for your help. This should be pinned on the first page - together with the error message so Google can find it.

Mr Muscle: no need to be rude. I read the first five pages and the last three, but there are currently 47 pages to go through - and not even Google finds any help when searching for the error message.

It's not that I did report this and offer help to be rude, do you realize that? It's because it's not evident at all where the information is!

What puzzles me is that the exact same version installed fine and has been working fine for a week, when today all of a sudden it stopped working.

Take care, and feel comfort in that your software is really appreciated! :)

Edited by LasseSL500

Thanks ace2 for your help. This should be pinned on the first page - together with the error message so Google can find it.

Mr Muscle: no need to be rude. I read the first five pages and the last three, but there are currently 47 pages to go through - and not even Google finds any help when searching for the error message.

It's not that I did report this and offer help to be rude, do you realize that? It's because it's not evident at all where the information is!

What puzzles me is that the exact same version installed fine and has been working fine for a week, when today all of a sudden it stopped working.

Take care, and feel comfort in that your software is really appreciated! :)

BM, as I posted a few pages ago, I also really think it would be a useful thing to pin the most important infos on the first page, specially if they are not documented on your homepage. Not only this would make things easier to find among the meanwhile 47 topic pages, but it would have the great side effect to spare you repeating the same thing over and over again :yes:

Of course, your topic, your rules, just my 2 cents :angel

Edited by paul70