bigmuscle

1. I downloaded Aeroglass 1.2.1 and left it on my desktop for just in case

2. I downloaded the updated UltraXTheme Patcher, there is an update for Windows 8.1 Spring Update (Update1)

3. After Windows 8.1 update 1 was installed, I rebooted my laptop and Aeroglass was still active.

4. I thought I would take a chance and install the updated UltraXTheme Patcher and Aeroglass 1.2.1 over the existing install.

5. I got the cmd prompt after booting into the desktop

6. I deleted the cmd pop up.

7. Rebooted and again, a very happy user..!

8. Thanks Big Muscle and Tihiy...well worth the donation

p.s. Can't wait for the first artist to post a rounded theme for the Spring Update..

Since the latest AeroGlass works on Spring2014 update without any problem, it is not necessary to hurry with hardcoding the DWM patterns.

Your definition of "without any problem" is sort of funny.

I did not have the Windows Spring update installed and didn't think anything doing so.

Your software basically made the entire system un-bootable since it caught itself in an infinite loop where I only was able to boot the machine after the spring update by going into safe mode to deinstall Windows glass.

Someone claimed that the latest version, 1.2.1 works "without problems" since it allegedly would automatically download the required symbols.

Wrong.

Even after removing the old version and then installing the new version, the tool creates an infinite loop. It doesn't download anything, again the system is entirely untbootable. (The first time it actually completely locked my PC after I clicked on "Retry" to download symbols). It doesn't download anything.

In addition to the fact that it makes the system non-bootable, it also creates about 7GB of dump files in the Aeroglass folder.

I am a developer myself and an issue which would make a system essentially non-bootable I consider extremely critical. I can assume that most people here are not stupid and they know how to get into safe mode, things like that. But your tool in the hands of a newbie would, to say it mildly, be a catastrophe. What do you think the "average" person does when they sit in front of their PC and they cannot boot into desktop? They will likely reformat their entire computer to be able to use their PC again.

Edit: I apologize when I came across as an ***, but I was naturally quite upset messing with this for two hours today and reading repeatedly that it would work "without any problem". Yes, the *manual* symbol downloading worked before re-installing Glass again and as it looks this issue may only appear for those without a key. But please think about users who may download your tool from your site, not knowing about this forum and those who are not necessarily computer wizards. It would hose their PCs and their is no warning or similar on the site.

Edited by Georg123

It is not necessary to answer your post part by part, because you summarized everything in the last part:

Yes, the *manual* symbol downloading worked before re-installing Glass again and as it looks this issue may only appear for those without a key.

But it is already specified on the website.

But please think about users who may download your tool from your site, not knowing about this forum and those who are not necessarily computer wizards.

The same, my website links to this forum and also specifies that this software is intended for advanced users only and beginners should not use it.

So the resolution is: if user reads and follows all instruction properly, then Aero Glass works correctly on Spring2014 update.

I agree that one needs to read very carefully before using any product and then determine if they should try something.

If you want BigMuscle to develop newer and better features to this project, then stop with all this gripping and complaining. His site addresses all that is needed to use the program as he has stated time and again. He'll never get anything done if he has to constantly address the same issues over and over.

As far as licensing, the cost is nothing to get it in comparison to Stardock or other tweaking programs. I have clients that have paid for bogus security software because their machines got "infected" while browsing web sites. Then they come to me to have it fixed.

For the record, I run a Dell-XPS15, fully loaded model. I use StartIsBack 1.6, UxStyle for 8, NewOldExplorer 1.07 and AeroGlass 1.2.1. That is it, and I get great results with well built themes such as DoubleRainbowEi8ht's 'Office 2010' and 'Longhorn Evolution' themes on DeviantArt to name a couple.

If you are using other tweakers or customizers on your machines, it could be the reason your having problems. Stop blaming it all on AeroGlass.

Edited by Wolfshadow

Firstly I like to say this software is great and that It really works well with my current setup. Secondly, I understand this is under development and that it is being developed in BigMuscle's free time, but are there any plans to pull it out of private development in the near future? I donated and while I realize this doesnt guarantee private access or a license, I'm itching to remove the popup window at login. I'd love to purchase the tweak once it's officially released, or do what I can to support the develpment. I understand there's been alot of back and forth about peoples "intentions" on donating in order to recieve a key and remove the branding + popup, but if I could do something meaningful to help support a product I see value in, I'm willing to. (As long as I don't break the bank) :sneaky: . If there's nothing that I can do at the moment, I'm more than happy to wait for the oportunity to purchase the final product. Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Quick question: is there a way to extract the regular Windows 8.1 theme into a PNG that can be used for an Aero Glass-compatible theme?

Saw this PNG on the site, is that identical or has it changed at all since the original? Thanks :)

ryantrip

Firstly I like to say this software is great and that It really works well with my current setup. Secondly, I understand this is under development and that it is being developed in BigMuscle's free time, but are there any plans to pull it out of private development in the near future? I donated and while I realize this doesnt guarantee private access or a license, I'm itching to remove the popup window at login. I'd love to purchase the tweak once it's officially released, or do what I can to support the develpment. I understand there's been alot of back and forth about peoples "intentions" on donating in order to recieve a key and remove the branding + popup, but if I could do something meaningful to help support a product I see value in, I'm willing to. (As long as I don't break the bank) :sneaky: . If there's nothing that I can do at the moment, I'm more than happy to wait for the oportunity to purchase the final product. Cheers, and keep up the good work!

I do not believe this work is necessarily private work as it is open to the public. The project will always be ongoing as Microsoft continues to make changes to the DWM file from time to time. Who know what is in store with Windows 9..... :lol:

If you have donated, then you use the generated machine code to receive the license key. When that is copied to the AeroGlass folder the watermark will not appear. The machine code is specific to your machine and can only be used on it. This is how BM is controlling being ripped off of his hard work.

At present, I believe his donate page is down to be revamped but should be up soon.That is where you would get the license key.

The popup when starting up should only be once with the new spring update. This initiates the symbols download. When you close the command window it should not appear again. Remember, this only works with the key in the AeroGlass folder.

Edited by Wolfshadow

Quick question: is there a way to extract the regular Windows 8.1 theme into a PNG that can be used for an Aero Glass-compatible theme?

Saw this PNG on the site, is that identical or has it changed at all since the original? Thanks :)

If you go here http://glass8.berlios.de/themes/theme1.png you will find a slightly different PNG to use in your AeroGlass folder.You will have to remove the png file presently there if there is one. This one has some slight shaded items and more colorful buttons from what I see.

Hope this helps :sneaky:

This can be done with any resource editor by extracting STREAM resource from your .msstyles theme file. When importing it into AeroGlass, your system theme's STREAM must have exactly same layout else all graphics will be misaligned.

Since Windows 8.1 Update 1 Glass8 refuse to work, I Un-installed the thing and reinstalling it and I get the warning "Incompatible issue, Your DWN is incompatible with Areoglass, see debug log for more details"

[2014-04-09 19:18:01][0x50C:0xFD0] DWM incompatibility error 0x27
[2014-04-09 19:18:05][0x65C:0xE38] Donation key not loaded (2 - The system cannot find the file specified.)
[2014-04-09 19:18:05][0x65C:0xE38] Machine ID: NTXI3NLFLUYTTL75GR3BLZPH4MYL3BIVHWLXHIRY6L3CMAPA
[2014-04-09 19:18:05][0x65C:0xE38] Loading settings (flags = 0x1) from HKEY 0x0000000000000000 for session #3

Any idea

Hello!

Im having some issues since I updated my gf's win8 to win8.1.

When she boots the computer, a lot of error windows appear, with messages about the DWM symbols or something like that.

Does it have an easy solution? If you need more accurate, I will ask her for photos with the windows.

I really thank you your work, you have really changed the SO, making me love it.

Perfeccionist people want perfect computers.

Edited by Carlosbl96

Yeah, it's the basic problem of this discussion since the beginning. There are several pages how to make this work on the latest Win8.1 Update but new users still register to complain that this does not work after update.

:angrym: :realmad::boring:

I'm here to complain!!!!

I updated to KB2919355 and nothing seems any different!

Aero Glass for Win 8.1 just works perfectly. I don't get to have all the fun troubleshooting that all these other folks have been having.

I feel so left out.

:D

-Noel