bigmuscle

Whole registry editing is stupid idea. I don't understand why people are creating these guides if they are not able to do them properly.

Interesting. I don't understand why you would think that registry editing is stupid. There is much published on the internet concerning editing the registry, and I have achieved excellent results for over 15 years by doing so. I would hope that who-so-ever edits his registry creates a back-up before doing so. In this way any chance of an "improper" edit could be easily negated. Most people who publish guides are trying to be helpful, and do not appreciate negativity in return, myself included. My efforts in other forums have always been highly appreciated. Also, the above guide works, is easy to understand, and is reproducible.

Ah, sorry for confusion. I didn't mean registry editing in general but this particular case. If you go through this topic, you will find people complaining that something about Aero Glass does not work for them. What's the reason? Mainly, it's because they either installed some 3rd party tweak which messed their settings, or they followed some incorrect guide which someone posted here. I would suggest reading the guide on the website before advising to use AppInit_Dlls registry entry on Win8.1.

This is why everyone should wait and be patient until the official Update 1 comes out. No one knows what MS might change at the eleventh hour for release to the general public. All of this could be moot come Tuesday.

Programmers like BM work hard so the rest of us do not have to regedit to get things just to work. Enhancements on his work in the registry are great, but even these are sometimes OS and machine hardware/software specific.

I for one can live without the glass features for a few days if MS breaks the DWM. I am sure BM will find how to make it right. Really, it is just about theming, not about what we use the machines for. Many of my programs do not even take advantage of theming, such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver to name a couple. I still have to use them daily even if they look somewhat plain Jane. :sneaky:

Are y'all slow or something? You dont need regedits to get this to work with Update 1. Its very simple.

1. If you've donated, put your donation key in the folder you are going to install AeroGlass to. Symbols probably still wont download automatically, but I didnt try. I just downloaded the symbols manually. If you havent donated, then skip this step.

2. If you don't have the symbols already, then use the symbols.cmd thats been mentioned here before along with the 8.1 SDK to download the symbols to the AeroGlass folder. The code for the symbols.cmd is below. If you cant figure out how to use this, then you shouldn't be trying to use AeroGlass anyway.

MKDIR %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsCD C:\Windows\System32XCOPY "dwm.exe" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsXCOPY "dwmcore.dll" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsXCOPY "uDWM.dll" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsCD C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x64SYMCHK /r %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls /s SRV*C:\AeroGlass\symbols\*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbolsRD /S /Q "%userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls"

3. THEN install AeroGlass and it will work perfectly fine.

This is exactly what I did and its worked exactly as it should ever since.

@Wolfshadow

Even without using AppInit_Dlls registry entry, there are still a lot of regedit settings needed to be installed BY the end user, to get DWMGlass.dll (Aeroglass) working the way some users like.

I think there is still a lot of work needed on the DWMGlass installer for regedit settings BY bigmuscle. :angel

Opinion:

There are a few ways to install DWMGlass.dll, i like to set aerohost as a service, bigmuscle is correct that AppInit_Dlls registry entry is a bad idea, even microsoft says it's NOT recommended. :w00t:

AppInit_Dlls should be used on Win8 only as there is no other correct way to do it there. It's also stated on my website several times. The most important is

On Windows 8.1, you must have aerohost.exe process running else your settings won't be loaded.

Just found this today & installed it. I love it & so I donated & went to the generate key page but am getting, Sorry, there are no more keys for you, after I put in my info. Any ideas why?

NEVERMIND... Read the donate page a little closer. Seems it's been disabled for the time being. Just my luck! ;)

Edited by astartiel

I know this has probably been asked before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Is there any way to get the glow effect on ribbon-enabled windows? Such as explorer etc...?

Its on the guide, bud.

http://glass8.berlios.de/guide.html <--- The regedit chart at the bottom. TextGlowMode. Its good to use a theme that can provide all the glow. I use 0x3.

I know this has probably been asked before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Is there any way to get the glow effect on ribbon-enabled windows? Such as explorer etc...?

Its on the guide, bud.

http://glass8.berlios.de/guide.html <--- The regedit chart at the bottom. TextGlowMode. Its good to use a theme that can provide all the glow. I use 0x3.

AH, gotcha, so basically I have to wait for 8.1 Update 1 compatible themes that support glow. (8.1 themes don't support context menus on the update 1 start screen)

Its on the guide, bud.

AH, gotcha, so basically I have to wait for 8.1 Update 1 compatible themes that support glow. (8.1 themes don't support context menus on the update 1 start screen)

Exactly. The Longhorn theme works great with glow and the context menus. I helped the person who made the port test it to iron out as many bugs as we could find. Works great. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Longhorn-Evolution-8-1-version-4-5-14-444468395