bigmuscle

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-81/windows-81-update-1-leaked-early-whispers-early-bug-reports

Many who caught the news early were quick to download and install the update, but already there are hints of strange occurrences after installation. One report says that closing any modern app sends users directly to the desktop no matter which setting has been chosen for bootup and even if the computer is touchscreen-enabled or not.

If you choose to get the update early, make sure to install on a non-production computer that can be reinstalled if necessary. With a month left to go before Microsoft will officially make the update public, it's just common sense that Microsoft could make last minute changes. We reported just a few days ago that Windows 8.1 Update 1 has hit RTM, but that doesn't mean that Microsoft or early adopters may find bugs that need to be fixed, or workarounds provided, prior being available to the masses. The best practice though is to ignore leaks like this and wait for the official release.

The reports of bugs in the leaked update are concerning.

:whistle:

jaclaz

Come on, do you really find it that unlikely that Aero Glass won't work with the official update if it doesn't now with the latest leaked one? Again, it's not about providing support for people who are using leaked updates right now. It's about making the transition as seamless as possible. To make it absolutely clear I have attached a little image that compares the two approaches how to deal with the upcoming Windows update.

If bigmuscle doesn't want to download the leaked updates and set up an isolated testing environment, that's fine. But I dislike the way people giving a heads-up are dismissed as silly leak users wanting support now for their unofficial windows version. It's the same way how people criticizing the nag screen and desktop watermark are simply dismissed as not willing to spend a few bucks to get rid of it. In both cases it's totally beside the point.

post-381566-0-65220700-1394227109_thumb.

Less of the moral BS Noel, its a mini SP/update not stealing a OS and I own a legit MCE key give to me by MS.

As if nobody here has ever download a movie or any warez if you want to go there.

I for one do not care and I know MS do not care from my days as a Mod on Winbeta.

They even paid a guy on the Winbeta staff to leak it until he was found out.

Again I do not care that AeroGlass is not working, I can wait and only mentioned so other know it will not work as I simply forgot.

The only glitch I see is the Explorer Status Bar is on and will not turn off by settings but I am formatting clean when its public and I have a .ISO of it anyhow.

I feed my family and put my son through college on sales of my software. You'd better believe I am going to push the "do it right" line and I'm going to keep pushing it. If that offends you...

a09bc_worlds-smallest-violin.jpeg

-Noel

Is WIndows 8.1 Update 1 available via Windows Update yet?

No? Then it's NOT LEGITIMATE. Some of you seem to think you get to make up whatever rules and terms you want. That's ridiculous. You're just lucky no one takes notice of your illegal activities. You might find out how unpleasant that can be.

If you don't want to be without Aero Glass, which is clearly 3rd party software and not from Microsoft, what the heck are you doing installing an unreleased, illegitimate OS? Do you actually THINK about things before you do them?

EVEN IF Big Muscle were so energetic that he would want to try to support it, don't you think it might take him a little time to get it to work? I'm sure Microsoft is not trying to do him favors. They don't want Aero Glass to work! You folks who haven't a clue act like software is easy to write.

Relax and wait for the release. Then wait patiently some more for 3rd party software authors to make their stuff compatible.

-Noel

Links were on MS's servers. download.windowsupdate.com to be exact, so it's official. Relax man, stress isn't good for you ;)

Noel I am beginning to think you have a screw loose.

Me grabbing the update early has not done MS out any money as I paid for Win 8, you are a fool.

BTW, reverse engineering/modifying Windows files is illegal, pretty sure MS care about that more than getting a FRE update early.

Edit : Wow site works with IE11 fully now.

Edited by helmutcheese

Lmfao. Yeah Noel, you could stand to relax a little bit.

This update that I and quite a few other people received were on MS's own servers. Just as Chris123NT pointed out. download.windowsupdate.com. The files are, in fact, STILL there if you care to look around and follow any forums discussing it. The MDL forum has a big discussion about it.

What I choose to do with MY PC is up to me and only me. If I choose to install a leaked update provided on Microsoft's servers, then I will do so. I paid for my copy of Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. Service packs have never been charged for and never will be. There is no "stealing" here. The update, published to the world or not, is still free.

Also, the "bug" link that was given saying that the modern apps being closed go back to desktop regardless of the setting is fine with me. I'm on a desktop. I want my screen to go back to the desktop when I close an app.

As for AeroGlass, this project itself is breaking down and modifying Microsoft code to provide something they took away. You're not here bashing this project because it provides something you want.

So, you can feel free to drop the righteous "i've never stolen anything in my life" attitude. You're in the wrong place for it.

Edited by raiden89

I decided to give this leaked Windows update a try and see what results I could get, I wondered if any of the early aero glass builds may still work, especially the ones that were meant to download new MS symbols if a Windows update broke compatibility, sadly none of the early builds that required symbols worked or even attempted to download any symbols, so maybe they are not available yet, who knows, anyway I did find one version that did work and it was the first Alpha build, although this build does contain allot of artifacts but if you are not patient enough to wait for an updated version and still want to have glass then it may be one to consider.

Edited by MrGRiM

@bigmuscle

Thank you very much for the possibility to regenerate a key!

Yes, thank you a ton. I was on a business trip and found this when I got home tonight. I was able to regenerate my key. That option was missing when I posted earlier in the thread. Everything is functioning correctly again. Awesome!

ABzAuFEl.jpg

Edited by BJFox

Any chance of a free DLL with limited functionality, e.g. without glass? That would be very helpful. I don't need Aero Glass on my tablet, but it would be awesome to have titlebar text glow back.

Edited by SanicHegehog