bigmuscle

* added option set custom caption color: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:ColorizationColorCaption (DWORD in format 0xBBGGRR)

I wonder: Why is this option or the glow size only applied to non-ribbon windows? I vaguely remember that ribbon windows use their own rendering technique but I also know that the values are taken from the theme just like for non-ribbon windows (only from a different location). So, couldn't you just override these other locations as well?

It has been said milliontimes. DWM is not responsible for drawing captions on windows with extended glass frame.

thanks. i see the shift to opaque on battery now...

off topic question:

in order to preserve battery i wish to be able to switch off the aeroglass transparency. is there a convenient method that would allow this on the fly with a button or .bat file i could set up?

It's not needed. Transparency/blur effect is automatically disabled when running on battery.

What about minidump that creates every fast shutdown?

This should be fixed. At least, I cannot reproduce it anymore when "Fast startup" is enabled in control panel.

It is ok just to reinstall (without uninstalling) but you should ensure that you are using same method as before (it means not mixing different injections together - e.g. AeroHost vs AppInit_DLLs)

Okay, thanks :yes:

I tried to upgrade to 1.2 from 1.1 and now all I get is a black screen with my mouse pointer showing when I move it and sometimes the WiFi symbol popping up but on the left hand side of the screen.

I do not have debug enabled, and cannot get to my computer. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I tried to upgrade to 1.2 from 1.1 and now all I get is a black screen with my mouse pointer showing when I move it and sometimes the WiFi symbol popping up but on the left hand side of the screen. I do not have debug enabled, and cannot get to my computer. Any thoughts?Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've had the same yesterday. According to my investigation, it's caused by one of the recent windows updates which rendered some of the msstyles unusable (i believe those edited with the resource editor are malfunctioning, those made with vista style builder are working fine). It happened before aeroglass 1.2 update and it also gives the black screen with aeroglass disabled. If you are able to roll back to the recent restore point do it and apply a default windows theme. After that reinstall all pending updates reverted during restore. That's what i've done. Now I'm converting my style with Vista Style Editor to make it usable again.

Edited by oomek

Just wondering, is there any way to only blur the start menu/taskbar and keep the titlebars/borders opaque?

No, it is not possible. Aero Glass/DWM does not differentiate what each window is. It just know whether it is not it is not the glass region.

Tell please the w8.1-1.2 version will work with UEFI BIOS?

Every version works with UEFI.

I tried to upgrade to 1.2 from 1.1 and now all I get is a black screen with my mouse pointer showing when I move it and sometimes the WiFi symbol popping up but on the left hand side of the screen.

I do not have debug enabled, and cannot get to my computer. Any thoughts?

This is surely not connected with Aero Glass. But you can always skip Aero Glass loading by holding CTRL key during the DWM startup.

how to get the explorer.exe's text glow effect? while other applications are ok.

something problem?

I have the same problem (Both Chinese).

You have to use a theme atlas that supports glow or you have to use a theme that supports glow in all windows.

I use the 8 Plus theme from dA and have glow everywhere.

Can you tell me how to use the skin? I found it in http://froggz19.deviantart.com/art/8-Plus-for-Windows-8-1-402231766 .

I'm using this skin, and Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 with TextGlowMode set to 0x3. But no window has caption text glow effect ...

Thank you very much!

Edited by firestarman

Thank you for your help everyone. I reverted back to my last save point and it is working now. I do think it has to do with aeroglass, because that was the only change I consiously made to the machine. It was working after the recent win 8.1 OTA update. However, I did try using the control technique, and that did not work. SO, perhaps I am wrong. I will try to upgrade again and see what happens.

Thanks.

~Leko

Version 1.2 works perfectly here. Performance seems the same as before (good). Nice job.

AGW81_1_2.png

After capturing the above screen I experimented a little bit with the ColorizationColorCaption setting, and it does work but not for all windows, but that is to be expected - I do NOT have a theme in place, just the themeatlas.png replacement. I still need to decide whether I prefer some of the caption fonts being light and some dark, or just leave them all dark with the glow background that I already have. Thank you for adding the registry entry. :)

-Noel