bigmuscle

Crap.

I installed this for the first time just now (I have been waiting until the win 8.1 version came out of beta)

I have installed it and now when I boot up my system it just flashes black and looks like its trying to load up my login screen when I move my mouse but it restarts this every second or two.

How can I roll back to before I had this? Safe mode (even with command line) is giving me the same flashes.

I can get some other boot disk if necessary. Can I just delete the directory glass8 was installed to?

I should mention, I had a custom theme installed before with UxStyle (this was so that I could have the background window colors be black).

I think it was mentioned in one of the RCs that this program or a combo of programs would cause this flashing on startup error so before i installed glass8.1 final I switched back to the default theme and uninstalled UxStyle before installing glass8. It was working just fine until I restarted to apply the windows 8 RC theme PNG file.

Someone please help soon if you know how to roll back, I got some bootcds I can use in case this can't be done through safe mode (is it looks to be the case)

This really looks good, great work! :)

Is it safe to use while gaming?

Could VAC (Steam), PunkBuster or other anti-cheat engine flag this as a possible cheat? I'm unsure about this, because I've read somewhere it injects itself to all running processes.

Or is it absolutely safe to use?

This really looks good, great work! :)

Is it safe to use while gaming?

Could VAC (Steam), PunkBuster or other anti-cheat engine flag this as a possible cheat? I'm unsure about this, because I've read somewhere it injects itself to all running processes.

Or is it absolutely safe to use?

It doesnt inject itself into processes anymore like it used to with the AppInit DLL method. It should work fine with Steam, Punkbuster, etc.

Thanks for the theme help. I hadjnt noticed the warning about custom themes had been added.

Still got a few issues.Donation twice and on my laptop the key works fine. I have no watermark and symbols downloaded however, it is hit and miss whether i have the transparency or not. even system restarts dont solve the problem.

On my computer the key isnt working even after renaming to donation.key but the glass always works. Also the registry edits dont seem to do anything. I basically want no blur so its just literally coloured and semi transparent like the taskbar at the bottom but nothing i change makes any difference at all

I basically want no blur so its just literally coloured and semi transparent like the taskbar at the bottom.

Try this works for me.

COPY

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM][HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000003"BlurDeviation"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000003"BlurDeviation"=dword:00000000

INTO New Text Document and Save As DWM.reg

Run / Merge DWM.reg.

Than select a theme, than select the theme you want to use.

NOTES:

If your Theme supports TextGlowMode TRY Numbers from 1 TO 3.

IF using CustomThemeAtlas make sure you add "CustomThemeAtlas"="" to DWM.reg with PATH to the png file.

EXAMPLE:

"CustomThemeAtlas"="C:\\AeroGlass\\1.png"
Edited by ace2

Hey guys, it has been a while since I last post. BM thank you very much for the 1.1 release, it works without issues on my dual Screen system!

I presume the Guide on the homepage is still not updated so just to be sure that I don't have any redundant remaining entries in my Registry from the Alpha versions, here a few questions:

Are these still need (used the 1.1 installer):

AppInit_DLLs

LoadAppInit_DLLs (set to 0)

RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs (set to 0)

@Tusticles

Is there any possibility that you make the Tweaker available or did you only want to tease us? :whistle:

A GUI Tweaker would be a great help for the poor ppl who hate to tweak the registry manually

@All who complain about the $$$

I contributed a long time ago with far much more than $3 while back when Aero Glass was still in early Alpha and not working on my System and I don't regret 1 second for supporting BM on his work (although I practically only use 2 Keys). On this, I really don't give a **** how BM defined his donation policy. I think this is a great program and I'm glad someone does the work MS should have done (or better said: removed) and these ppl should, IMO, always be supported.

I think $3 is really not the end of the world if you don't want to have the small "restrictions".

Edited by paul70

Well said, Paul.

You don't need anything special in the form of AppInit_DLLs registry values with the aerohost method of startup.

Aero Glass has been running perfectly for me. Here's a testament to its stability:

UpTime7Days.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Update:

Blurred Taskbar when using Aero Glass for Win8.1 without ANY 3rd PARTY TOOLS.

Basic Idea:

0.Install Take Ownership.

1.Goto C:\Windows\Resources and Take Ownership of Themes folder, now copy Themes folder to desktop.

2.Open Themes folder and rename

aero (folder) TO aero2
aero (.theme) TO aero2
theme1 (.theme) TO theme3
theme2 (.theme) TO theme4

3.Open

aero2 (.theme)
theme3 (.theme)
theme4 (.theme)

With Notepad and find [VisualStyles] / Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles and change IT TO Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\Aero2\Aerolite.msstyles

4.Open aero2 folder and delete VSCache folder

5.Open aero2 folder and delete aerolite.msstyles, now rename aero.msstyles TO aerolite.msstyles

6.Open aero2/en-US folder and delete aerolite.msstyles.mui, now rename aero.msstyles.mui TO aerolite.msstyles.mui

7.Copy Themes folder from desktop TO C:\Windows\Resources, Now select a Default Theme, Than select a Theme with a Blurred Taskbar.

post-378787-0-90375900-1391424689_thumb.

FOR 3rd PARTY THEMES:

I will use Soft8 VS by neiio for this example:

Download:
http://neiio.deviantart.com/art/Soft8-VS-380281415

There will be a Soft8 folder and a Soft8.theme.

1.Open Soft8.theme with Notepad and find [VisualStyles] / Path=%SystemRoot%\resources\Themes\Soft8\Soft8.msstyles and change Soft8.msstyles TO aerolite.msstyles

2.Open Soft8 folder and rename Soft8.msstyles TO aerolite.msstyles

3.Copy Soft8 folder and Soft8.theme TO C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

4.Now select a Default Theme, Than you can select Soft8 Theme and have a Blurred Taskbar.

NOTES:

FOR Text Glow Read:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170850-aero-glass-for-win81-11/page-17#entry1067319

Text Glow Regedit Settings:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000003[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000003

BEST TO DELETE ANY VSCache FOLDERS, THIS IS FOR Modded Default and 3rd PARTY THEMES.

Edited by ace2

Big muscles, frosted glass did Billboard, the Chinese emergency

Come on, big muscles. I am Microsoft UI engineer

I'd trust him, he seems totally legit.

Try disabling SecureBoot for the hell of it. Just to test. If it works, then SecureBoot is stopping it. If it doesn't, something else is wrong. I imagine the Surface tablets like my HP tablet are probably pretty locked down but I got the AG working perfect on both.

Also, are you using a different key per computer? Each PC has a different Machine ID and has to be used to generate the license for each PC. Just a couple ideas.

@Everyone else, if you post a debug log, please use pastebin or put it in a code tag or something so it doesnt make the page longer than necessary reading logs for people who cant help with the log issues.

:)

I've tried with and without secureboot. Doesn't make any difference, only effects the DLL method, which is why I'm using the Aerohost method. And yes, I've generated a specific code for my Surface 2 Pro.

Edited by Xevon

ace2: just two opinions => 1) try to format your scripts somehow, e.g. in the code etc., so they don't take million of lines. 2) try to avoid using other tools, e.g. "Take Ownership" etc., because all of the steps can be easily done just by elevating editor/command line/etc.

paul70: guide is updated (although not all information is included) but install part is complete - there are three ways described: 1) AppInit_DLLs (deprecated for Win8.1, no aerohost.exe), 2) aerohost.exe (Win8.1 only, no registry editing), 3) installer which does everything for you.