bigmuscle

Well, did helmutcheese's instructions work for you?

Cheers and Regards

no, and i believe that glass8 is not running, if it was, it would create a machine id and put it into the debug.log

i'm not sure why it will not work, aeroglass worked just fine in win7 on that thing.

Other vendors at least give support for their users when they pay for a license.

Yeah and that's why I repeat that you donate to support the development and not to pay for a license.

I don't use win8 or win8.1 BUT because of your fraudulent pricing and complete ripping off and screwing of all of these WHINERS I am demanding a free license!!!

/joking

Actually, I have no problem to give a free donation key to MSFN stuff/devs/admin, because they support my Aero Glass just by having this topic here ;-)

Can anyone tell me how to get text glow without using a Custom theme resources file because they don't work with my Custom theme.

Are there any Custom text glow files that can be used with TextGlowMode settings.

TextGlowMode settings i have used are from 1 to 3 and still no text glow on my Custom theme.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000001[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000001
Update:

Downloaded a glow.bmp file, but it didn't work because aero glass w8.1-1.1 does not support glow.bmp.

Looks like i need to make a CustomThemeAtlas for my Custom theme, i think i will just forget about text glow for this theme. :w00t:

There are two ways- TextGlowMode 0x1 and 0x2 requires having glow image in your theme atlas. TextGlowMode 0x3 loads glow directly from your theme (check your theme editor for this option directly).

I don't think you can donate half to just get one.

Yes, you can. But it takes exchange rate of euros into the account (or better, it depends how PayPal recalculates it)

well hmm, glass8 installed, claims to be running, however there is no popup, no watermark, and no cmd window attempting to download symbols, and it is not putting the machine id into the debug.log, so that i can use it to generate a license

bm please help

[2014-01-30 21:38:55][0x454:0x368] Installing DWM hook...

[2014-01-30 21:38:55][0x454:0x368] User: SYSTEM

[2014-01-30 21:38:55][0x454:0x368] Module: C:\AeroGlass\win81_x86_1.1\dwmglass.dll

Please provide minidump for you dwm.exe and aerohost.exe (Task Manager is able to do this) and possibly an image from Process Explorer to show the dwm.exe and aerohost.exe hierarchy.

Hmmmm, glow effect isn't working for Windows Explorer, but works for other program windows. Any suggestions?

The only way i have solved this problem was to download a 3rd party theme with the glow built in, like Soft8 VS Theme.

That's a well-known issue with ribbon-enabled windows - they just don't composite the effects the same as normal GDI windows. You'll find you won't have a title glow in WordPad either. Restoring it has been described as outside the scope of what BigMuscle has developed up to now.

I hear that it might be possible to restore the glow through custom theme changes. I don't use a custom theme - just a resource change via this product, so I don't have title glow on Explorer and Wordpad windows either.

With Explorer the path to the location you're viewing is shown near the top of the window anyway, so after a while you get used to looking there for it. Additionally I've turned off the breadcrumbs display with Classic Shell so Explorer just shows the path plainly with backslash separators.

Even though I'm working around it, I'd love it if someone would figure out how to restore the glow behind ribbon-enabled window titles. It would make the whole desktop experience more integrated.

I posted this over on the Classic Shell forum... Classic Shell DOES already restore the title + glow to Internet Explorer windows.

GlowNeeded.png

-Noel

The base of problem is that windows with extended frame do not have caption at all, because whole window is just client area with no frame (see more info here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb688195(v=vs.85).aspx#drawing ). They just then draw some custom text on it (which can appear as window caption but it actually is not) using DrawThemeTextEx API function. The possible solution would be hooking this function of uxtheme.dll in every process and render glow on its own (or hook private uxtheme.dll function which is reponsible for glow rendering and just adjust the glow intensity there, but it would be more complicated).

Edited by bigmuscle

The base of problem is that windows with extended frame do not have caption at all, because whole window is just client area with no frame (see more info here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb688195(v=vs.85).aspx#drawing ). They just then draw some custom text on it (which can appear as window caption but it actually is not) using DrawThemeTextEx API function. The possible solution would be hooking this function of uxtheme.dll in every process and render glow on its own (or hook private uxtheme.dll function which is reponsible for glow rendering and just adjust the glow intensity there, but it would be more complicated).

Bigmuscle no one is criticizing your skills, you have done an excellent job with replacing aero glass in windows 8/8.1 :thumbup

I use this theme here: http://www.deviantart.com/art/8-Plus-for-Windows-8-1-402231766

Great theme and has glow in every window when using the correct glow settings for Glass. I have it set to use the theme's glow settings. Windows Explorer, Wordpad, Notepad, CMD windows, etc all have glow.

@NoelC: My IE does not have a titlebar caption when in windowed mode or maximized. I'm guessing thats a hack that you're using for that? I used to use AeroBar but gave it up.

Hmmmm, glow effect isn't working for Windows Explorer, but works for other program windows. Any suggestions?

The only way i have solved this problem was to download a 3rd party theme with the glow built in, like Soft8 VS Theme.
I use MSStyler to edit only the glow related values. It doesn't recompile or alter the theme in any way except for the values you change (I did a binary comparison). It's a bit crude to use but it gets the job done. If you are willing to use an unsigned theme and bypass theme signature checking, it's the ultimate solution to get full glow in all windows regardless of the theme (set TextGlowMode to 3 for Aero Glass). I have attached an animated image that shows how it looks with the default theme for both ribbon-enabled and normal windows (there's actually no difference).

These are the values to be changed:

Class ID: 4

Part ID: 0

State ID: 0

Class: globals

Property Type: GLOWINTENSITY:INT

Property Value: 250

Property Type: TEXTGLOWSIZE:INT

Property Value: 12

Class ID: 209

Class: CompositedWindow::Window

Class ID: 209

Class: CompositedWindow::Window

Property Value: 12

post-381566-0-20108500-1391201490_thumb.

Edited by Hancoque

Hancoque Thank you for this, it works great.

These are the values i had to change for my Theme (.msstyles):