bigmuscle

Sberdes, it's a bit beyond the scope of this thread to teach you in depth how to use the registry editor.

Basically, you need to start RegEdit as administrator (aka "elevated") in order to gain the privileges to make changes.

Then navigate to the Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Microsoft > Windows > DWM location as given on this page: http://glass8.berlios.de/guide.html

Add the DWORD value DisableGlassOnBattery and ensure it has the value: 0x00000000 (0)

Restart your system and note that the glass effect is available even when you're running on battery.

-Noel

I have found away to enable Taskbar blur without using StartIsBack and Classic Shell OR any other 3rd party tools, when using w8.1-1.1 DWMGlass.dll and a little theme trick, I will post my finding soon after some more testing.

There is a simple trick with theme file name. Some place contains condition whether your theme is aero or is not. In this situation, when filename is aerolite.msstyles then taskbar will be blurred.

Edited by bigmuscle

Thanks for the update. I have a question, in regards to what NoelC said:

While checking through the registry: my AeroGlass is listed under HK_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\...\DWM

Is it okay that I have it there, or should it be under HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\..., where I only see Default and nothing else?

Just wanting to know.

2 questions:

How long after we donate do we get a key?

This is my confirmation: 16C41684DX8831638

Do we get an email, or do we just wait, and eventually we can generate a key on our own?

Second question:

How do we make the glow effect work on this version? It's changed since the Windows 8 version.

There is a simple trick with theme file name. Some place contains condition whether your theme is aero or is not. In this situation, when filename is aerolite.msstyles then taskbar will be blurred.

Yes thats the basic idea. :w00t:

Updated:

Blurred Taskbar when using Aero Glass for Win8.1 without ANY 3rd PARTY TOOLS.

Basic Idea:

0.Install Take Ownership.

1.Goto C:\Windows\Resources and Take Ownership of Themes folder, now copy Themes folder to desktop.

2.Open Themes folder and rename

aero (folder) TO aero2
aero (.theme) TO aero2
theme1 (.theme) TO theme3
theme2 (.theme) TO theme4

3.Open

aero2 (.theme)
theme3 (.theme)
theme4 (.theme)

With Notepad and find [VisualStyles] / Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles and change IT TO Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\Aero2\Aerolite.msstyles

4.Open aero2 folder and delete VSCache folder

5.Open aero2 folder and delete aerolite.msstyles, now rename aero.msstyles TO aerolite.msstyles

6.Open aero2/en-US folder and delete aerolite.msstyles.mui, now rename aero.msstyles.mui TO aerolite.msstyles.mui

7.Copy Themes folder from desktop TO C:\Windows\Resources, Now select a Default Theme, Than select a Theme with a Blurred Taskbar.

FOR 3rd PARTY THEMES:

I will use Soft8 VS by neiio for this example:

Download:
http://neiio.deviantart.com/art/Soft8-VS-380281415

There will be a Soft8 folder and a Soft8.theme.

1.Open Soft8.theme with Notepad and find [VisualStyles] / Path=%SystemRoot%\resources\Themes\Soft8\Soft8.msstyles and change Soft8.msstyles TO aerolite.msstyles

2.Open Soft8 folder and rename Soft8.msstyles TO aerolite.msstyles

3.Copy Soft8 folder and Soft8.theme TO C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

4.Now select a Default Theme, Than you can select Soft8 Theme and have a Blurred Taskbar.

NOTES:

FOR Text Glow Read:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170850-aero-glass-for-win81-11/page-17#entry1067319

Text Glow Regedit Settings:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000003[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000003

BEST TO DELETE ANY VSCache FOLDERS, THIS IS FOR Modded Default and 3rd PARTY THEMES.

Edited by ace2

Hmm, it's still not going transparent for me and I still have that "black box" issue - just like the last version when I install it, transparency isn't added and then DWM.exe pops up saying:

SYMSRV: dwm.pdb from http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols: 78056 bytes - copied

DBGHELP: dwm - public symbols

C:\AeroGlass\symbols\dwm.pdb\34BE7E5FC12E4A8BB5DFBAC3D915A6872\dwm.pdb

The box just stays there too, why is it trying to download symbols? isn't that not necessary? lol

BlindMango this can help with black box Problem WHEN you get transparency.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000001[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"TextGlowMode"=dword:00000001

Try from number 1 to 3

I'd like to give my 2 cents about all the freeware\donationware\nagscreen fuss. I know nobody asked for my opinion, so for those who already have theirs and have no interest in losing time, you can stop here :thumbup

Before going on, a few words I feel the need to say: let's be honest, issues like this are really first world problems, and we should never get too angry\serious about it!

Now then, back on topic. I really think this is all a debate upon the choice of words, not the software itself. We all know before installing that, without paying, there are going to be popups and a watermark,. It's of course right to point out, to the people complaining about not expecting those, that it's all clearly stated on Glass8 website and during installation.

The real issue is that you can't, in my opinion, call Glass8 "freeware". And you can't call the money paid to make popups and watermark go away "donation". Why do I say this?

• A freeware,by its very definition, is a software provided free of charge and with no limitations.
  • A donation is any amount of money given to anyone for any reason, without expecting anything back. Else it's buying.

However, while it's true that the core functionality is there, Glass8 adds two things when installed for free: popups and a watermark. One can discuss forever on how much they find these to hinder user experience, if they do hinder it in any way, etc etc. but that's beyond the point. Fact is, they are not necessary for the software to work ie provide what it's intended for. They can be removed, but you have to pay for that.

And when you have to pay to remove something from a software, then this software wasn't freeware to begin with,and yours is no donation. I expect unwanted things to go away by paying, and after that I consider my user experience full: so it's only logic to say that my previous experience was not.

So it sums up to a bad choice of words, that some people was confused by\didn't like. Now let me say, I paid for a license and gladly so. Just thought someone might benefit from a clarification, as I think I'm saying things other people think too.

Peace :)

You say you are giving it for free, yet you are taking donations - without any support for users. Other vendors at least give support for their users when they pay for a license, and call it what it is. Your terms are even harder - you sell licenses, but without any support for users. And you should be clear on that. Your choice of words is clearly deceiving, at least from my point of view.

2 questions:

How long after we donate do we get a key?

This is my confirmation: 16C41684DX8831638

Okay, so I reread the OP, and it said that I had to generate the liscence code myself. I did, but it's just saying that there's no code for me. I donated 1.50$ USD, not 0.01$ like you mentioned would be barred from getting a code. Is there a threshhold or something? Because 3 was for 2 codes, I just wanted one, and donated half that.

I guess I'll wait for the glow effect because I need the auto-download symbols as part of the donation code. Please, I'm dying here, I want the windows to have the text glow =[