bigmuscle

1.1 is working perfectly here - nice work! The visual glitch problems I saw and could occasionally reproduce with version 1.0 are gone.

I'm impressed with your care and tenacity, BigMuscle. Not everyone works that hard to track down even the rare, intermittent bugs. So often in this world today people blame users for problems on their computers rather than look for the root causes as you have done. Bravo.

Thank you.

-Noel

I just want to confirm, with regard to posts about safe mode a few pages back, that safe mode (not Command Prompt) on a clean install of Windows 8.1 (when enabled from Charms Bar) works with Aero Glass v1.1 installed.

(I have been unable to test it on my current installation as I think my current installation is corrupted due to me changing file permissions in C:\Windows. I do get a completely black screen when I am in safe mode (not Command Prompt) in my current installation. If I move the mouse I can see the words Safe Mode appear in the four corners of the screen. Then they disappear when I release the mouse. So perhaps I have a problem with the display. I also tried enabling Safe Mode from msconfig in this installation - the PC would ALWAYS restart to a black screen (so I assumed I was in Safe Mode) making it permanently unbootable as I couldn't see anything.)

So I did a clean install of 8.1 on another drive and installed Aero Glass immediately after and got into Safe Mode (not Command Prompt) without any problem.

Aero Glass, as bigmuscle rightly points out, will not work in safe mode (not Command Prompt) as the Task Scheduler service cannot run in safe mode.

Edited by DrStrange

BigMuscle, you really do not even need to respond to the ingrates who complain about the most minimal inconveniences. A single notification dialog and a watermark is worth taking the time to complain? Really? The simple, direct answer to anyone who finds the startup dialog or watermark upsetting is this:

If you don't like the way it works, don't use it.

The whiners do not understand the level of effort you are putting into this to ensure it doesn't cause problems on their systems. They just see something valuable and drop into "I want, I want, wahhhh!" Not one of them could create what you've done themselves.

In fact, you're one of the few people in the world - maybe the only one - who could have pulled it off. Trust me, your excellent work is very much appreciated by the silent majority, who may never have moved to this ridiculous Windows 8 if not for things like your Aero Glass for Win 8.

Don't let a few whiners spoil it for you. You deserve many congratulations and kudos for doing this.

-Noel

Well said Noel,

maybe a mod should cleanup this thread or people should donate 3€ and be happy that bigmuscle made this eyecandy for all of us in his private free time...

P.s. I'm really sick of reading all this BS about donation. Post something useful, pea counters...

Well said !

I was remiss not to say a big Thankyou too to BigMuscle!

Like other users have said, I could not have been happy using Win8/8.1 without your contribution.... the desktop experience is so much better with this software. (I started off with the already perfectly usable early prototype when I learnt of it.. we have come so far...)

NoelC pointed out recently, That software like ClassicShell/SIB, and AeroGlass- are probably better off in the hands of private developers who have the skills to improve the implementations Microsoft ended up delivering. (I still find myself re-using Noels' theme he made... there is a simplicity that can't be argued)

Wondering what Windows 8.2/9.0 'Threshold' will try to give us back (rumors) .. and How bad might it be in the hands of the new team writing it......... more challenges ahead.

I also wanted to mention- Did anybody notice the drop in the file size of DWMGlass.DLL? From over 3Mb in the last RC3 to only 584Kb in RTM/1.1. Must be a lot of debug or redundant code removed. Wow.

1.1 is working perfectly here - nice work! The visual glitch problems I saw and could occasionally reproduce with version 1.0 are gone.

I'm impressed with your care and tenacity, BigMuscle. Not everyone works that hard to track down even the rare, intermittent bugs. So often in this world today people blame users for problems on their computers rather than look for the root causes as you have done. Bravo.

Thank you.

-Noel

I agree with Noel, I'm suprised he managed to get rid of some of the more weird/small bugs, some must've been really hard to find.

BigMuscle, you have my respect Sir!

Is the only way to replace the AppInit_DLLs by going in Safe Mode?

Win 8.1 does not allow me to write over the files. :no:

You can remove it from registry then restart. Replace file, add again registry settings and reboot to load new version...

Edited by CKyHC

Is the only way to replace the AppInit_DLLs by going in Safe Mode?

Win 8.1 does not allow me to write over the files. :no:

Just rename the file, put the new file there, kill dwm.exe and you're done.

I also wanted to mention- Did anybody notice the drop in the file size of DWMGlass.DLL? From over 3Mb in the last RC3 to only 584Kb in RTM/1.1. Must be a lot of debug or redundant code removed. Wow.

That was mainly because he removed the old glass reflection image as well as the color swatch bitmaps that were left over from previous builds with the ability to use them.

I have found away to enable Taskbar blur without using StartIsBack and Classic Shell OR any other 3rd party tools, when using w8.1-1.1 DWMGlass.dll and a little theme trick, I will post my finding soon after some more testing.