Windows XP security guide

AnX

I was using Comodo, but had some issues with it, and it also started to feel bloatware. I recently read about Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5 from -X-, so what about:

-Avira Antivir (quarantine its own spam files)
-Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5
-Palemoon (Firefox fork) with
-Adblock Plus
-Adblock Plus Pop-up
-BetterPrivacy

I don't know what Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is for, can't it be done with Avira?

Edited by Dogway

It is not a bad idea to have more than one on-demand antivirus scanner available, Many of them focus on one type of virus or another and many are available in a portable form that do not need to be installed at all.

Cheers and Regards

MBAM is more generic than specific

its not bad to use both

I just hate how MBAM plants itself into startup for no reason and you can't remove the **** thing

You should be able to disable that. Make sure you are in an admin account before modifying AutoRuns stuff. Also, inside MBAM, go to thhe preferences and disable the realtime component or else it will always re-insert itself.

MBAM can definitely be restrained to on-demand status unless something changed in the past couple weeks.

the autorun is hardcoded

even if you manually remove it, on next app run it will re-insert itself (real time scanner doesn't matter here, this is its service)

So the service is auto-starting? I thought you meant something in HKLM\...\Run

Can you set the service to manual?

IIRC, it does place a SYS file in the System32 folder tree no matter what you do ( on Windows XP in previous versions of MBAM I was able to physically delete it and place it in the local MBAM folder, but haven't tried it lately ).

Can you remember what happened when you installed? Did the free trial ( checked by default ) get installed? I'll bet that this is their way to quantify the 30-day ( or whatever ) period before it stops working.

I'm thinking that maybe you can uninstall, then re-install and clear all the checkboxes.

Gosh I would hate if they too went down this road with autostart processes and services.