Most Antivirus Programs to Support Windows XP Past End Date

Monroe

The fact that XP has a significant userbase even to this date (and most likely, beyond EOL), is what will prevent XP from achieving security through obsolesecence. The nature of compatibility in Windows XP is what makes it worse - a lot of malware for Vista+ will still be backwards compatible for XP, making XP very insecure. 3rd party security is your best bet, but that won't last forever either.

• 2 years later...

(Couldn't find a better topic for this - I don't think it needs a separate one.)

Avira ends product updates for XP

Avira Antivirus for Windows 2016, update 20 has been released on September 06th, 2016. With this update ends the product updates support for Windows XP and Windows Vista. From now only VDF updates will be delivered for Windows XP and Vista.

Lasted much longer than the initially reported April 2015 deadline.

1 hour ago, mixit said:

(Couldn't find a better topic for this - I don't think it needs a separate one.)

Avira ends product updates for XP

Lasted much longer than the initially reported April 2015 deadline.

It also looks like Microsoft has ended XP versions of their Malicious Software Removal Tool. August 2016 was the last, even for POSready 2009. It's Vista or higher now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/890830

4 hours ago, cc333 said:

Is Avast supporting XP still?

c

Avast is still supported

Few month before i talked with esed and quickheel . esed told they will support until 5% of user using it and quickheel said there is no chance of leaving xp before 2030.

If you love xp use it and increase the market share. i am requesting to keep xp on second partition atleast and browse web to ensure a bright future to your beloved old os .

Windows xp forever

Edited by Dibya

On 1/28/2014 at 6:50 AM, JodyT said:

We need to be careful not to use Windows 9x/ME support history as a precedent here. That OS line may have achieved security through obsolesecence, being that it's a simpler, flimsier kernel that no attacker targets anymore. However, the Windows NT kernel continues to exist in Vista, 7 and 8 and WIL BE TARGETED. XP doesn't differ nearly as much and will be much more affected. So I don't think XP will eventually be a safe bet based on the likelihood that 9x now seems to be a safer bet after years of non-support status.

You are some what correct.

XP may get some nonsense virus but major exploit kit will die due to different code offset in xp files. MS peoples scattered  codes here and there in xp code to prevent most exploit kit. Windows xp"s Kernel donot allow much nice works to be done by good guys whose name is hackers. Windows XP is bit more strict than its elder brother and sister where vista /7/8 is little more strict with UAC . Windows XP and Server2003 uses 97% Same code , we know server 2003 is largely known for it simplicity ,speeed and reliability. Now a days many of my friends getting shortcut viruses but still now from their  flash drives never infected my xp & 2003 with any av on my db75en with i3 and 2gb ram , runs xp & 2k3 fine.

Windows XP Forever!

Immortal XP Forever

Edited by Dibya

The current update file for Avast 4.8 has a digital signature of September 12. Avast 4.8 runs on XP, but is also the final version that runs on Windows 95, 98 and ME.

https://www.avast.com/en-sg/download-update

Direct Link: http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd4.exe

Alternate (my FTP): http://sdfox7.com/avast/4.x/vpsupd4.exe

Sirmen (avast developer) confirmed that they were having troubles releasing VPS for avast 4.8 in April, then Milos (avast developer) confirmed that they were about to release VS4 and now they are stuck on September 12, but there has been no official confirmation that definitions updates weren't going to be released anymore. Both Sirmen and Milos have been contacted and we are waiting for an official statement from them. Btw I don't think they are gonna drop it; I think they'll keep that old version alive, it's just that they are facing some issues as occurred few months ago and fixing them definitely does not have the highest priority. :)

Edited by FranceBB

On 2016/9/14 at 10:19 PM, nospamboz said:

It also looks like Microsoft has ended XP versions of their Malicious Software Removal Tool. August 2016 was the last, even for POSready 2009. It's Vista or higher now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/890830

This one is actually more of a relief, so I don't have to uncheck it every time :lol:. I suppose it was useful for those who don't use any other kind of protection, for me personally it was just a bother that would add several minutes to every update run with no perceivable benefit.