"Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates for nLite" page (ht

TitoHL

Hi. Newbie here. I used the UDC 2.14.14 which worked wonderfully. After completing the full slipstream, I checked for more WU's and received a total of about 80 more. I get that MS continues to put them out and I'm not complaining....just wondering if there will be a newer version of the UDC anytime soon.

Edited by JeffA54

80 more? I find that extremely hard to believe.

1 - That would be filename=UDC-02.11.14.zip (Feb. 11, 2014) last month Patch Tuesday

2 - To be integrated using nLite along with an XP SP3 Source (SP3 can be simultaneously integrated)

You DID have/do #2, right?

-X- when he gets first opportunity makes a new Downloader every (or at least as soon after) Patch Tuesday (2nd Tue of each month). Apparently one week "behind" the last one. Bear in mind, the LAST one will be in April. After that, it's obtaining "unsupported/unofficial" updates (more than likely). Much speculation scattered on this, but rest assured OVER!

These will be the "latest" ones.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms14-mar

http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows/23648/microsoft-patch-tuesday-march-2014

Note that -X- removes superseded fixes when a new one replaces it/them.

April 8, 2014 the Opera Lady sings -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

HTH

You're doing something way wrong if you showed 80 updates. It's really quite simple.

• Use a completely clean XP source that came with SP3 from Microsoft (Windows XP SP3 Retail) or use a completely clean XP source (doesn't matter if is has no service packs or has SP1, SP1a, or SP2) in which you, yourself has correctly slipstreamed Service Pack 3. nLite can do this for you.
  • Download the latest UDC script, extract, double click the batch file and wait for it to finish with no errors.
  • Add the resultant files to the to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section of nLite and make the ISO.
  • Burn the ISO with a known good burning application such as ImgBurn.
  • Install XP.
  • Click Windows Update in your Start Menu, once there click Custom Scan and after 20 or so seconds you should only see the Malicious Software Removal Tool being offered.

If you are doing something different, I have no control over that. nLite tweaks, unattended settings, drivers and the like are fine. Removing components may cause you problems.

The above holds true if I've gotten to my list for the month which I haven't for March. I meant to on monday but things got in the way. Perhaps later today. Even still you should only see 3 or 4 offerings besides the MSRT. I'll include the MSRT in the ??final?? UDC.

And as submix8c, mentioned. XP goes EOL next month. You should wait until then to make your final XP CD. You can test in the meantime if you don't mind wasting CDs or use a virtual machine for your tests and you save on CDs.

Edited by -X-

I don't doubt that I might have made a mistake, but I thought I followed the directions. It installed along with updating IE8, etc. How large should the disk be? With the UDC, mine is 632mb's and there were 146 misc updates extracted. I tried it again on a fresh pc and after the install, there were 38 important; 16 optional software plus .NET3.5. I installed 3.5 and subsequently .NET 4.0, afterwhich there were a total of 51 important, 16 opt software, then .NET 1.1. 68 total is far better than the 140ish if I didn't slipstream, so thank you!!

Also, if i'm using this one generic Dell XPP SP3 disk on several Dell pc's, will there be any product key issues? None is asked for.

Edited by JeffA54

Like Ponch said - UNLESS those are your Personal Computers, you may NOT use nLite. Yes, there is a EULA and you agreed to it when you installed.

Now, -assuming- that those are your PC's, your Dell Restore CD does, in all probability, have a WINNT.SIF file already there and contains the "generic OEM key" which doesn't require Activation. I'm -not- really sure if nLite handles that as I -always- ensure I have a -totally clean- source (i.e. NO Winnt.SIF at start of nLite). -IF- you input the Key when you used nLite then... It will -NOT ask for it (it's been embedded into WINNT.SIF).

Now... you are using a DELL Restore CD, of which may or may not be totally -clean-. This subject has been visited many times that OEM (e.g. Dell, HP, etc) Recover CD's have a nasty habit of "altering" the Source to include "other" software -or- insert "additional fixes".

Could you attach a zipped Directory Listing to confirm that it will -work- with nLite? I'm thinking it won't since it already has SP3. -IF- it had SP2 and you slipped SP3+Updates then the SP3 Integration would have "wiped" the "Dell junk" out and ths "superfluous" would have been ignored.

Houston, you -may- have a problem. :unsure:

So hypothetically, if I were to use a single Dell Restore CD on several pc's that we were possibly thinking of giving away free to friends, the cd uses the same pk thus all those pc's have that pk are in violation of the EULA, correct? Would it also cause an issue with the pc's at some point? And would you like me to attach this hypothetical list here or PM you?

Edited by JeffA54

If the "pk" is from a single COA, then yes. Each Dell PC should already have that COA for that OS on it. As I stated, there is an INTERNAL key. Generally, this should NOT be used if "distributing" to "friends". In additions, what do you MEAN by that? MSFN'ers have suggested "borrowing" a friends CD before, but (AFAICR) never has anyone here suggested "warezing" it out. You're treading on thin ice...

Now... what do you mean "hypothetical list"? Either you can DIR it or not DIR it. And please don't PM me - here or nowhere. It's simply for confirmation of "clean source" (i.e. what is "dross/modified" and what is not). Thank you.

edit - (sigh...) I believe I may have that CD sitting right here (Dell XP Pro SP3). Yes, you may have a problem if it's the same as mine. It's "altered" (betting yours is too). -IF- so -AND- you were to keep yourself -LEGAL-, you will still have to "de-alter" it to make it "clean".

Edited by submix8c

Maybe to clarify a part of what has been posted till now.

The OEM versions of some XP install (NOT "recovery") CD's from some leading OEM's are often modified.

Dell (and to a lesser extent HP) has been reknown for these (often senseless) modifications.

Such CD's may "play good" with nlite (and with any other third party tool, including the UDC) or they may cause some issues.

Since there is no real "catalog" of such modified OEM CD's (and possibly they exist in a zillion versions) it is possible that a third party tool (that works fine with an "official" MS XP install CD) has some quirks when used on a OEM one.

Usually (but not necessarily) a pre-SP3 OEM CD, once successfully updated through integration to SP3 level becomes "good" in - say - 99% of cases, but your specific OEM disc, especially since it's a DELL :ph34r:, may well belong to the remaining 1%.

As an example, when these OEM CD's are used to build a PE 1.x, a couple specific DELL fixes are needed, see:

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15138

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=15138&st=29

jaclaz

First, please accept my apology. My ethics would stop me from consciously causing a problem. My project is to refurbish about 20 Dell pc's in the next couple of weeks as give-aways in our small company (we upgraded). Some software disks are missing and starting from reinstallation cd -> windows updates will just take forever and I thought this would be perfect. How do I attach the zip folder or would you just prefer I list what's in it. I really don't want to cause anyone any problems.

Mmmm - maybe not be able to use it YOURSELF and "refurbish". From the License

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

The best I can suggest is that you just "refurbish" all of them with that source (legality is on your/your comapny shoulders). Provide the recipients with clear instructions on what to get from where with a "how to" and allow them to make their own if they so desire.

Have you considered WPI (Windows Post-Install Wizard) for the Updates? You can always get all the Updates and distribute that as an "extra" CD.

edit (I'm going to choke myself for suggesting this) -

You could also use Autopatcher and put on a separate CD. Bear in mind, the contents may/may not be accurate (like -X- list is) but you could always "clean" the superfluous stuff out, if you're slick enough to understand and us -X- list to do it with. Note that -X- is VERY good (IMHO) at ensuring superseded stuff is removed and -some- items may not be in Autopatcher.

I leave the methods of Ethical Distribution to you.

Edited by submix8c

Well, as always I might be wrong, but if the "business purpose" of the hypothetical company is to:

giving away free to friends

some old hardware, I would say that the company will last for a very short time. :w00t::ph34r:

Thus the question is:

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

can a company have a non-buiness purpose?

and if a non-business purpose is carried in a company by a single person in his free time (and the company gets no benefit whatsoever from this) does point #5 above apply?

What if the single person gets the hardware as a gift from the company and decides to refurbish it installing the OS and give it away to other friends?

Seriously, regardless of whether "giving away for free to friends" entitles or not for the use of nlite, the whole point is that nlite is not really needed at all to integrate just the SP3, and since I believe what JeffA54 has to give away are identical machines, maybe it would be easier/faster to prepare a "sample" machine with all updates (and possibly pre-configured with additional software, settings, etc.) and then sysprep it and replicate it on the other machines.

Even if the machines are different, thanks to Offline sysprep there should be no issues:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=22064

jaclaz

:blink:

+1 :thumbup

And if the poster is REALLY slick they could prepare some sort of recovery scenario. Bear in mind (if said Dells are set up the way I believe them to be) they already have the Recovery Partition setup on them which -may- have to be "cleaned" (ref. Goodells website). That is -if- the are indeed "identical".

Thank you for your insight. Again, I don't wish to cause any problems. I'm a self-taught support person here and if it helps, these pc's will be given to employees, first-come-first-served, no profit to store/company. We had to upgrade our system to Win7 because of software security since xp won't be supported. The pc's are old (7 - 10 years) and rather than e-waste, the decision was to do a clean reinstall for the give-away. The disks I can find are Dell reinstallation with a P/N (a couple had "factory refurbished" with Product Key), not a Product Key. My thought was to give the recipient a xp sp3 reinstall disk and basic driver disk

Re the sysprep/replication....i like that idea but I'm not sure it will work on the different dells (GL170, GX330, GX380 - 790). I'll also look into a WPI disk.

Believe me, there are other things I'd rather be doing. So....am I inappropriate in what I am doing? If so, I'll find another way.