"Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates for nLite" page (ht

TitoHL

Was using IE8 on XP

Just checked using Chrome and file downloads OK - with the file size you quoted

Did a file compare and there is an 11 byte header added to the file

plus there are periodic blocks of 5 hex bytes inserted into the file at regular intervals - weird.

Have encountered cases where a downloaded file was incomplete - but never with regular internal corruptions.

Looks like another IE8 incompatability to add to the list.

It seems that IE8 gets the raw GZipped version of the file from the server - and does no conversion back to straight ZIP format

The file you get with IE8 still has a GZip wrapper around the ZIP file.

WinRar will remove this wrapper - if it understands what it is dealing with

I was downloading your zip file using IE8 - not the most secure browser I will agree - but that is a whole other topic!

Apparently this was a known issue with IE6, IE7 and IE8 - but was never fixed
Documented by MS as a fast published "emerging issues" article (2009/2010) - but no fix was ever implemented.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2002350
The two offered resolutions are basically:
Option 1 - Disable HTTP (GZIP) compression for .ZIP files on the web server.
Option 2 - Change the MIME type for .ZIP files on the web server from application/x-zip-compressed to application/octet-stream.

Also discussed here:
http://serverfault.com/questions/77740/corrupt-zip-file-when-downloaded-from-apache-with-internet-explorer

IE6 < IE7 < IE8 < FF :w00t:

I believe they meant "using IE8 to download", hence my Google Search. It reveals IE8 has "problems" that IE9 "fixes" (re - gzip-enabled).

BTW, putting the Zipped-Script link directly in "raw" IE6 "oddly" tossed me to the HTML page (a/l in my "repair install" of Srv2k3). THEN clicking the Link allowed download and looked ok. Of course, "bugs" still show up since I haven't updated it yet... (JFYI)

BTW, putting the Zipped-Script link directly in "raw" IE6 "oddly" tossed me to the HTML page

Yeah that's because the download must be referred from updates.html. It's to prevent hotlinking. You're being 302'd.

Ponch, I'll turn gzip compression back on for the next 24 hours starting in the time it takes me to click my bookmark and click the buttons in cPanel.

Can you test again during that period? Probably don't have to sat this but clear your temp internet files. :blushing:

Thanks

IE6 6.0.3790.3759 - no problems.

As was stated (google what I gave) it -appears- that only IE8 suffers the affliction.

I'll gladly fire up my XP and/or 98SE (both having IE6) and do another run as proof-testing. Heck, I'll install IE7 on the XP as well if you wish.

HTH

It's cool. Don't go to all that trouble. I was just curious.

I was on IE6 until early last year when MS completly broke their website on IE6. I used to click the details links in the WU results and the KB articles and bulletins were horrendous. That's about the only times I fired up IE...WU.

Edited by -X-

Now it says indeed that the Zip file is damaged or incomplete. The funny thing is that Avant Browser, which basically, I thought was a UI layer using IE, is not showing that problem.