NSLOOKUP question

Smiley357

I do not see a network section so this might not be the correct place to post this.

If a system has 2 nic cards and has 2 IP’s does anyone know a command like NSLOOKUP that will show both ip’s of that system? I will not be logged into the system when searching for the IP’s. If I do NSLOOKUP computername it only gives me one IP.

I do not see a network section so this might not be the correct place to post this.

If a system has 2 nic cards and has 2 IP’s does anyone know a command like NSLOOKUP that will show both ip’s of that system? I will not be logged into the system when searching for the IP’s. If I do NSLOOKUP computername it only gives me one IP.

Running NSLOOKUP from "where"?

Are BOTH the IP's on the target computer on the same subnet?

Maybe what you want/need to do is more along the lines of a "remote" IPCONFIG /ALL :unsure::

http://blogs.technet.com/b/brad_rutkowski/archive/2007/12/15/need-to-get-ipconfig-all-from-a-computer-remotely.aspx

jaclaz

Jaclaz,

Thanks for responding. The IP’s are on the same subnet. Psexec is a great tool and use it from time to time. But if for whatever reason the IP that is provided by NSLOOKUP is to a nic that is offline, I would not be able to use psexec to connect and run the ipconfig.

Thanks again.

I guess you will need to provide far more details on how you have the *whatever* you have setup, including actual OS and devices involved and actual IP/subnets involved, besides a "wider" description of your setup and actual needs, hopefully with those someone may be able to suggest you something.

AFAIK a "computer name" is associated to one (and one only) IP. :unsure:

jaclaz

Nslookup opens and will use the client's primary DNS server as its source of information. You can change it to other servers if you want.

All Nslookup is is a utility to ask the selected DNS server to resolve IPs or network names. The DNS server has no "knowledge" of how many interfaces are on a target system.

So if you feel the information being returned in an Nslookup is incorrect or outdated, you should focus on the DNS Server to solve the issue.

That was a good question. I had just assumed that it had 2 DNS entries since it had 2 IP. When I looked I only find the one entry. I did find another system that had 2 entries and when I did a NSLOOKUP on that system it showed both IP’s. So thank you for solving this. Again, that goes to show what happens when you assume things.

You've clearly found the right place :) In addition to this DNS discussion, there is also the concept of a "default route" that may interest you.