"OK! OK! We'll Support It!" LOL

Jody Thornton

LostInSpace2012:

The truth is that you never EVER "owned" any version of Windows, including 9x/Me. You used it under license, so no you shouldn't be able to just make 500 CD-ROM copies of it and have Microsoft never know. In fact, it's your actions that justified Windows Activation in Microsoft's mind. You were "renting" ME just as much as XP.

Mind you, the way you should lack of care for others with your big, rusty, polluting vehicle; then why would I expect you to care about things like copyright?

LostInSpace2012:

The truth is that you never EVER "owned" any version of Windows, including 9x/Me. You used it under license, so no you shouldn't be able to just make 500 CD-ROM copies of it and have Microsoft never know. In fact, it's your actions that justified Windows Activation in Microsoft's mind. You were "renting" ME just as much as XP.

Mind you, the way you should lack of care for others with your big, rusty, polluting vehicle; then why would I expect you to care about things like copyright?

I fully agree with you.

Lostinspace:

I don't have a fancy car but if you whacked my car with your door you'd be paying hundreds for new tires. Attitudes like that is why humanity is going down the drain. Respect your fellow man a bit more.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

LostInSpace2012, you should try Win2K. I hated it when I first tried it from 98SE but hell it's stable and light as hell!

Below is what I had when I totally stripped it down.

Memory

Services

Space used by OS. 837 Files, 87 Folders, 124MB!

Yes, Windows 2000 is very fast and still can run most of the modern programs. But the only problem is the lack of firewall (at least for me). I will give more attention to that thing when I have time but for now thumbs up for 98 SE and 2000. :)

Hehe. They might have been taken at different times. I just remember saving them from early last decade. :crazy:

It actually worked pretty good as I recall,

These days, I don't remove/delete anything. This way I can help peeps and see if a file comes stock on an XP. If they mention a file that's not on my system, I tell them to shoo. :P

RacerBG, as you can see in the 2nd screenie, I'm running Tiny Personal Firewall which later became Kerio Personal Firewall. I still use Kerio today and think it's the best firewall in the history of software firewalls. :thumbup

If you're depending on the built in Windows firewall, you're seriously insecure. It does not block outgoing connections as far as I am aware. It only alerts you for a very few apps. A trojan can upload all it wants without being blocked or you being alerted.

Kerio blocks EVERYTHING. You have to can if you want allow/disallow: UDP, TCP, ICPMs, all addresses, address ranges, single address, what ports, etc..however you wanna swing it. You can just click the alert twice usually but you can do all those things.

When you first install it, it does come with some basic things like DNS allowing and such but I don't have those since I never install it.

I just keep it on my programs partition, put a driver in the windows driver folder and merge a reg file to make the service whenever I've reinstalled Windows (all unattended of course). I've had my rules for I cant even imagine how long.

EDIT: I'm talking about Kerio Personal Firewall v2.15. Not the new crap.

Edited by -X-

@Ponch

Considering that the mentioned 2K install takes MUCH LESS SPACE than a current (say) nVidia set of drivers need today I guess you have to put things into perspective.

A "plain" (no tweaks/removals) install of 2K is (was) around 650 Mb.

A "plain" (no tweals/removal) install of XP is (was) around 1.5 Gb.

If someone will be so kind to explain to me some valid reasons about the correlation between making the stupid OS 2.5 x the size of the previous one and the (supposedly) added "features", I would be happy.

Just for the record, I was able at the time to fit a "good enough" basic 2K OS in , but still with a "fair" 1024x768 resolution ;), into 86 Mb:

http://reboot.pro/topic/5679-a-mini-build-of-win2k/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/41208-reducing-bartpe/?p=287518

in 124 Mb you can have a fairly "complete" OS.

Still for the record, NT 4.00, needed around 115 Mb for a "full install" and it was easy by removing only a few help files to fit it on a ZIp 100 Mb disk.

jaclaz

My nVidia drivers for my old vid card on my old PC come to 39MB...unpacked. My current much more modern (like 2 years ago) ATI comes to 19MB...unpacked. :sneaky:

Clicky

Edited by -X-

Yeah, that's the download package and installer for all kinds of different models. Installed, it's much less.

I'm sorry. I despise bloat.

Edited by -X-

Yeah, that's the download package and installer for all kinds of different models. Installed, it's much less.

I'm sorry. I despise bloat.

Sure :), but even your 39 Mb are about one third of the whole system footprint :w00t:.

Faq/Fga ;):

Q. Are the Nvidia drivers (and connected programs/tools) an insanely huge mass of bloat?

A. Yes. :yes:

:lol:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

My C drives have always been 3GB since XP. I have about 800MB left without dumping the browser caches and stuff. So it's actually 2242/39 ~ 1.7%. My current ATI is 2242/19 ~ 0.85%. :ph34r:

Space used by OS. 837 Files, 87 Folders, 124MB!

My nVidia drivers for my old vid card on my old PC come to 39MB...unpacked.

39/124=0,31451612903225806451612903225806

1/3=0,33333333333333333333333333333333

jaclaz

We're talking apples and oranges. I'm talking about XP. Your talking about my old Win2K. I don't even think I ran that experiment for a very long time. Maybe a year at most. No clue really. My memory sucks. :(

EDIT: Thinking back on it more. I don't even know what PC I had back then. I think it was some old...**** forget the model...that I got from work. Might have had a 2~20 GB hard drive. I threw that thing out ages ago. That nVidia driver set is for my old, dusty XP PC with an Intel P4 and 1GB ram rotting on a desk in my place.

Edited by -X-

We're talking apples and oranges. I'm talking about XP. Your talking about my old Win2K. I don't even think I ran that experiment for a very long time. Maybe a year at most. No clue really. My memory sucks. :(

I was addressing the comment by Ponch about the apparently low resolution of the screenshot (of the 2k) you posted, pointing out how most probably to fit in 124 Mb that build used a "standard" VGA video driver.

jaclaz