"OK! OK! We'll Support It!" LOL

Jody Thornton

So if I understand this right about future XP updates ... say only two people sign up for these future updates, MS will pay wages and salary ... $50,000 to $100,000 or more to some employees to keep XP updated. Wonder what the "signup" total would have to be to make it worthwhile for MS?

So if I understand this right about future XP updates ... say only two people sign up for these future updates, MS will pay wages and salary ... $50,000 to $100,000 or more to some employees to keep XP updated. Wonder what the "signup" total would have to be to make it worthwhile for MS?

Well, 2/3 up to 4/5 of what is written on the mentioned page is "pure bull§hit ©", the amount of FUD or more simply idiocy is so relevant that it cannot but be MS sponsored scare tactics, it is not even worth the time highlighting how much do they have wrong in that page, which is mostly (if not entirely) undocumented hearsay, and the actual source is most probably not even Microsoft itself, but rather an article where a couple of analysts from Gartner :w00t: and an "anonymous IT Manager" :ph34r: are the actual sources:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241912/Microsoft_will_craft_XP_patches_after_April_14_but_not_for_you

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9237019/Microsoft_gooses_Windows_XP_s_custom_support_prices_as_deadline_nears?

(which IMNSHO also cannot but be part of the same scare tactics campaign)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

If I was Microsoft I would release a paid Service Pack 4 for Windows XP with new features to make it comparable to the newer Windows OS's (I don't mean the user interface, hands down from it) and simply continue supporting Windows XP SP4. :yes:

problem with that idea is that its not doable
many NT 6 features are simply incompatible with NT 5

tho believe it or not vista shell and explorer DO work on NT 5 via alky
but I doubt that kernel changes could be simply reintegrated, same goes for ReFS or even superfetch
same goes for UAC and DWM

while some things from business side is better to deny

With the announcement that they will provide support for one more year, I found this interesting anonymous quote over on slashdot:

The idea that people won't ever move off is absurd. They will. Problem is, if they do so this year a good number are going to OS X, Ubuntu, Chromebooks, etc. Then those new Mac/Linux/Googlized people will begin experimenting with alternatives to Microsoft Office as well. Fuck.

If Microsoft can have those people wait for Windows 9 and Windows 9 is an improvement of any sort, they stand a better chance of keeping the customers. That's all this is.

That actually sounds like a logical approach, IF MS can succeed in appeasing folks with reasonable improvements in Win9. In my mind, if they effectively took Win7, added the underlying OS improvements from Win8 and any already planned for Win9, added the "Metro" Start Screen, apps, and Store as options, with the "Metro" apps able to run on the standard desktop as windowed apps, kind of like the old "gadgets" and improve them all so that if operated in full screen mode they would be touch screen friendly, then that might be a Win9 that folks would see as a reasonable upgrade, one that would be friendly to both new tablet users and desktops alike. But that's just my two cents.

Cheers and Regards

funny thing is, if they just tweaked win7, to for example boot faster
and be maybe lighter on resources thus RAM requirement be lower

they'd got perfect OS (well at least as NT goes...) after XP and 2000

question is what made them to make such radical and stupid change... was it fear from google and apple ? :P (who cares)

With the announcement that they will provide support for one more year, I found this interesting anonymous quote over on slashdot[...]

For those that don't read slashdot (like me) and want a link, here you go:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/01/15/239235/microsoft-extends-updates-for-windows-xp-security-products-until-july-2015

For the record, XP is not getting another year of support. Only the security products designed for it will get the extra year.

Edited by 5eraph

At that link was this note:

We've received some inquiries about what "no longer supported operating system" means. To clarify, this mean that, after April 8, 2014, Windows XP users will no longer receive new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft.

Which refutes several of the other posts in this thread about rumored possible extended support possibilities.

Cheers and Regards