VirtualBox Windows 98se step by step

• 8 months later...

I've tried installing Win 98se in VirtualBox 5.1 and while the core OS install goes well, it fails while updating the system with AutoPatcher.

Also the sound from the default SoundBlaster 16 is horribly crackly, changing to AC97 at least fixes that aspect.

What goes wrong when running autopatcher? The only thing that went wrong in my install is that the command-window showed as blank (no text). But force closing it and restarting the autopatcher fixed that problem.

Yes, my command window also goes blank and I have to force restart it to get AutoPatcher going, but the Win 98se boot-up sequence gets more and more unstable as the process continues until it can no longer start (except in safe mode) at all.

Strange, I've had no crashes at all, nor any other sign of instability during bootup during or after running autopatcher.

The only difference I can think of, is that I picked ICH6 as my IDE chipset instead of sticking with PIIX4.

Edit: No, that's not it either. Just made another VM with PIIX4 and that went through the AP2007 and AP2008 update just fine.

Edited by Neighbour
Clarification and update

VirtualBox clearly has improved Win98se compatibility since the 5.0.x series, but until I can get it to install W98 under VB 5.1.x without glitches on all my systems I'll keep the recommendation to install W98 using VB 4.3.38

On 5/2/2014 at 9:09 AM, stysis said:

Thanks for the great instruction Kurt_Aust. I am now very happily running some 16 bit programs on my Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Like nicklxxxiii, I had trouble with sdd-win-7.0.0.340-BETA.EXE. My virus scanner didn't like it so the version my original CD image file wouldn't run.

I had to disable Avast, then I download it from http://www.ulozto.net/x2feFxE/sdd-win-7-0-0-340-beta-exe

I checked the MD5 hash at http://www.isthisfilesafe.com/sha1/3B673F6892F68DD59C521489E7DCAD4A2524A3BA_details.aspx which also gave me some confidence that the file was safe. All was good once a new CD image was made.

Also, file sharing seems problematic with Windows 9x guests. I have found that sharing over the network works well. I got the basic instructions from http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbox-network-sharing.html

I now have a folder "shareddocs" on my host desktop (to the IP address of the guest, in my case 10.1.1.23) which is accessed in the guest via Network Neigborhood / "computer name" / shareddocs

Thanks again for you great instructions.

Hi,

Since I was not able to download sdd-win-7.0.0.340-beta.exe, I downloaded it from http://www.fileplanet.com/85954/80000/fileinfo/SciTech-Display-Doctor-v7.0-Beta. I checked MD5 hash as well.

Thanks.

Neighbour:  What processor does your host machine have?  I ask because it turns out that while a 98se guest install fails on my current machine (Haswell-E i7-5930K) it installs fine on my old machine (Core 2 Quad Q9450) and I seem to recall something about newer host processors sometimes having an impact on other guest OS installations.

135th:  I've fixed the SciTech Display Driver link but this stupid new forum software won't allow me to update the QuickTime Alternative link.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When installing Microsoft VirtualPC 2007 SP1, the second step calls for installing Hotfix KB958162.  But although the page still exists on Microsoft.com, the download links no longer work.  Does anybody have a copy of the 64-bit version of KB958162.msp that they can share with me?

• 7 months later...

Greetings all! New user here.  I'm trying to wrap my head around what it takes to get win9x usable these days (among other things).  I have been to mdgx site and some others, and I have to admit I'm at a loss.  What should a person do after installing? Say I've done a full install of OEM.  I've seen different autopatcher versions, different service packs, wupg, 98se2me, usb drivers, stuff about cpu and ram limits, sdks, ddks, KernelEX, and I own a copy of 98 lite. Specialized applications aside (like browsers, music players, etc,) which  things should a person install to get the "system" up to its fullest most complete potential? And in which order, does it matter?  

I used 98se for over a year after it EOL'd, and while I've learned a lot about unix since then, it has been an almost unceasing battle ;).  I'd also like to know can VC++2005 EE still be found, and will it run?  I intend to build a machine in time, but at the moment I'm trying to research and plan on vbox, and it has been working well.  I've read about some of the member projects, and I'm quite impressed, both that some are still loyal, and at the caliber of utliites you are making, so your words are appreciated.