Windows 8.1 RTM questions

Hadden

Hi everyone, I've (or I had?) Windows 8.1 RTM...... Does it autoupdate to Windows 8.1 Final?

Which are their build versions? (RTM and final)

Why windows store stopped to work? (I don't use it... but I think it's not a good sign however).

Classic windows update works (I don't have updates since 13/12/13).

It tells me to update windows as the version won't long work (maybe as it's an RTM..... but shouldn't I have the update via store/windows update?)

If someone knows something, please let me know :D

I have not heard it would update to Windows 8.1 automatically. That update come from the store and you have to actually click on it. It does not get served up in the normal Windows Updates window or from automatic updates.

Other than looking in My PC Properties, you can launch a cmd and run ver to get the version number.

Windows 8 is 6.2.9200

Windows 8.1 is 6.3.9600

The Windows Store may not work if the PC is not activated or if you signed into a local account. If Windows is not activated, the Windows version should appear on the desktop.

I know of no difference between "RTM" and "final".

If Windows is telling you that it's "expiring", then you likely have a pre-release preview version. What is its exact version number?

-Noel

"Cmd > Ver", says I'm on 6.3.9600, windows is activated correctly but windows store doesn't work (it loads than it closes... other metro seems work)

Yes, I'm on local account.....should I create a microsoft account? (I wouldn't, to be honest xD)

Your config just sounds like it is screwed up. Perhaps you have malware or perhaps you've installed something that broke it.

No one in their right mind should be creating a Microsoft account.

-Noel

Sorry, I guess what I meant was "no one in their right mind should be setting up Windows to use an MS account". You can access the store using an MS account while still logging into Windows using a local account. But hey, if you want to give Microsoft administrative access to everything on your computer that's up to you.

-Noel

Yes, I'm on local account.....should I create a microsoft account? (I wouldn't, to be honest xD)

As Andre says. Basically if you want to use the Store and those fancy apps, then you need to log on with a Microsoft Account. I'm with you tho, if I had to use Windows 8 I would just use a local account as well. I doubt there is anything worthwhile in that Store that I can't find as a conventional program somewhere else.