XBStart 2.1.9 stable - navigate Windows 8.1 with an Xbox controller

oomek

Just thought of two more simple options to add: 

Option to hide mouse pointer after 5-10 sec of no movement in mouse mode.

Option to disable volume up/down with right stick (if you have a PC connected as a HTPC/Gaming setup, you might be using a receiver to control your volume)

I haven't checked it myself, but I've had reports telling that XBStart is also compatible with the XboxOne's controllers.

HI oomek, 

Indeed the wireless XBox One controller works pretty well with XBstart (when connected with usb cable) on Windows 8.1.

Unfortunately, as you know, it's no more working on Windows 10. It would be fantastic if you can find a way to upgrade it.

If you don't like the new Windows Start screen, what about a custom XBStart screen? In which users would be able to select which applications/games will appear there, through an option like "Pin to XBStart". Like that you can imagine the Interface you want, and users will have just the necessary (games, apps) in their customizable XBStart screen (who cares about Word when holding a Game Controller?)

By the way, thanks for this nice application!

That's exactly what I've been developing for the last few weeks. A crossover between thw Windows' 8.1 start screen and the Xbox dashboard. No need for the Pin Steam nonsense, just right click on the exe, pin to XBStart and you are done. More info soon.

I CAN'T TAKE THIS MUCH HYPE! Really excited to see how it looks, Oomek. I have been holding off the upgrade to windows 10, but this may just be the deciding factor! Keep us updated!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Thank you very much for this program. I'm not sure if im doing something wrong, but im on Windows 8.1 and when using the 360 controller, the only way I can navigate with my mouse cursor using the left stick is after I click the left stick and the on-screen keyboard pops up which I then have to minimize. Once this is minimized I can move my cursor and click but I can no longer scroll until I click the left stick in again and my cursor control is gone. It's hard going through this process every time to click on something on the desktop or other apps. Is there a way to make the xbox controller automatically in mouse pointer mode controlled by the left stick? Im not sure if my wireless mouse has anything to do with this because it works all the time. I tried turning the power off on the mouse but that didn't help. Sorry if this a total n00b problem.

Thanks again

Edited by SweatyPalms

• 1 month later...

That's exactly what I've been developing for the last few weeks. A crossover between thw Windows' 8.1 start screen and the Xbox dashboard. No need for the Pin Steam nonsense, just right click on the exe, pin to XBStart and you are done. More info soon.

Is there any update on this? Would really like to see what you came up with :)

• 5 weeks later...
I don't think it's being worked on at this point. Even the website has expired now.

If you want a great alternative, try Steam Big Picture mode. You can load pratically any application into it include emulators (using Ice for steam):

You can exit right back into the launcher, which is nice for sitting back.

If you want something that's really light and easy to setup, try GameGO. It's fairly new so there will be bugs, but it has a lot of potential.

There's also EmulationStation and Launchbox (Big Box mode is not free).