XBStart 2.1.9 stable - navigate Windows 8.1 with an Xbox controller

oomek

XBStart is designed to be compatible with xinput dll. Any additional controller needs to be programmed separately.

Edited by oomek

Hello,

First i'd like to tell you this software you created is fantastic and solved everything i needed to control my computer with the Xbox controller.

I was very happy until yesterday when my computer updated to Windows 10, and I noticed that the button that turns on the controller which I used to call the Metro menu is not working anymore.

It seems that now it calls some kind of "game menu" each time I press it, asking me if the application is a game. Is there any possiblities that you could make it call the "Start menu" again?.

I would also like to add some suggestions for your application, which I have found desirable:

1) Make it possible to assign a button to zoom in - out. Since I'm far away from the TV sometime this would have been useful many times. A workaround, would be to be able to assign shortcuts that use the "Win key". Since "Win + +" or "Win + -" achieve this goal.

Maybe the second approach would be better, since it would also make possible to slide through the new virtual desktops by adding other shortcuts (Ctrl + Win key + ->).

2) After assigning a shortcut a button from my keyboard like "Next track", this shortcut only works when the "Configuration" dialog is open. After closing the dialog it doesn't work anymore. Maybe this is only a thing from my computer though.

3) Create a keyboard input like Steam uses when trying to type with the xbox controller, you can see what I say by googling "steam xbox keyboard". This would be glorious.

These are of course just suggestions from a daily user, thank you so much and keep up the great work!

Hi, as you can read in my recent posts I still have no idea what to do with that ugly new start menu in Windows 10. When I look at it it drains me off my energy and I loose all the motivation to code. I don't see it as a launcher anymore.

XBStart is designed to be compatible with xinput dll. Any additional controller needs to be programmed separately.

Hi oomek, I haven't given up hope yet. I've got the controller and chatpad working, and using X360ce, I am able to create an xinput dll file. The default name is xinput1_3.dll, and the instructions for x360ce say to save that file in the application folder. I'm assuming it should be placed wherever the application gets the xinput dll from. Is there any way of making XBStart pull the xinput dll from a desired location? Not sure that this is exactly what I mean, but I guess the question is, is there a way to make XBStart work with a modified xinput.dll file?

XBStart gets the system dlls in a standard way, first it checks the apps folder, if it's not there then it checks the system folders. Copy the xinput1_3.dll into the C:\Program Files\XBStart\ and you should be good.

Hi, as you can read in my recent posts I still have no idea what to do with that ugly new start menu in Windows 10. When I look at it it drains me off my energy and I loose all the motivation to code. I don't see it as a launcher anymore.

Hi oomek, i really understand your frustration with the new windows 10 start menu. they somehow managed to optimize so much UI quirks in the latest update but fucked up the start menu big time. 

Anyway, i wanted to ask you nicely if we can expect just a basic fix for windows 10 at any time in the future? All i am talking about is using the arrow keys to navigate the tiles and use A to start an app (I think the rest is working fine anyway).

I don't really know how much work this is on your end but I am sure a lot of users would be willing to donate if windows 10 support would be added.

Ok, I'll do it, but I'm focussing now mainly on writing a XBStart Launcher for Windows 10. It's a crossover between Windows' 10 start screen and XboxOne's dashboard. More info soon.

Hi Oomek, I installed this last night, and what a game-changer. This has revolutionized the way I interact with my HTPC. Thanks so much for your efforts!

It looks like the project to get the chatpad working on Windows has made some significant progress, though I don't think much has happened lately. Any chance you're planning on picking up on the development/integrating it into XBStart?https://code.google.com/p/xbox360wirelesschatpad/

I replied about the chatpad integration a few posts back, scroll up and check it out.

Wow, I'm an id***. I saw that post but thought it was much older. What do you mean by "as soon as the wireless driver is implemented"? It seems they've gotten a working version.

It's on the frontpage of their page:

"Currently, only wired controllers are supported. Future plans include investigating support for wireless XBox 360 controllers."

I think we're talking about two different projects. Are you talking about the Chatpad Super Driver project? That one is only available for wired. But the project I posted has this on their front page:

This application will allow you to use your Xbox 360 Wireless Controllers + Attached Chatpads on a Windows PC cordless through an Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver.

Some users have reported success, others have had some trouble.

You are right. I was only aware about the chatpad super driver. I'll look into it, but first I need to get a chatpad.

I admit I know nothing about programming/coding, drivers, etc., but I think it may be a simpler solution than that. Is there a way for a non-XBox360 controller to use XBStart? Windows sees the controller as a "vjoy_raw_device_00" so it would seem that if XBStart could be controlled via that device, it would work.

Dude, ps4 controller works. a. treat! I installed the DS4Windows software and suddenly xbstart asked me : do you want to use this controller with xbstart? And I was just like: Uh, does the Bear help pedophiles get away with institutional rape? and now when I turn on my pc, my ps4 controller is automatically picked up by the pc and at defult emulates an xbox controller and is then in turn mapped to xbstart. but I also programmed a macro that allows me to switch between profiles allowing me to map game specific controls. It works reaaaaally well! And I didn't expect it to integrate so seamlessly.

Omek, that windows 10 start menu is rubbish! I'm going to be sticking with windows 8.1 for the moment. I'm very happy with my setup. Until microsoft give us an xbox 1 controller wireless adapter and I can use that with xbstart (will that work do you think?), I may just keep things as they are and protect the status quo, lol.

Again, thanks for all your hard-work, you're a champion!

Edited by Hopelscotch

hello! this app i i think best things that m$ can do..!and oblvsly they didn't >.>! i came here because i want to update to Win10 !!!! i didn't know whhen i'll upgrade when this app will be avable also in beta it"s a good start but we need i dont have hastiness, but i really love this app. i also donate when this app ask me!! i forgot to do it again because i was lazy this app is amazing, why you didnt upload it to steam?? you could get a lot of views!!!

i think we all need dx12 !!btw i came here just to say i'll donate for this app soon ;)

Edited by risstakerelse

hello! this app i i think best things that m$ can do..!and oblvsly they didn't >.>! i came here because i want to update to Win10 !!!! i didn't know whhen i'll upgrade when this app will be avable also in beta it"s a good start but we need i dont have hastiness, but i really love this app. i also donate when this app ask me!! i forgot to do it again because i was lazy this app is amazing, why you didnt upload it to steam?? you could get a lot of views!!!

i think we all need dx12 !!btw i came here just to say i'll donate for this app soon ;)

No worries, i'm building a beautiful launcher for Windows 10, more info soon :)

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't checked it myself, but I've had reports telling that XBStart is also compatible with the XboxOne's controllers.

HI oomek, 

Indeed the wireless XBox One controller works pretty well with XBstart (when connected with usb cable) on Windows 8.1.

Unfortunately, as you know, it's no more working on Windows 10. It would be fantastic if you can find a way to upgrade it.

If you don't like the new Windows Start screen, what about a custom XBStart screen? In which users would be able to select which applications/games will appear there, through an option like "Pin to XBStart". Like that you can imagine the Interface you want, and users will have just the necessary (games, apps) in their customizable XBStart screen (who cares about Word when holding a Game Controller?)

By the way, thanks for this nice application!

Edited by 118218

That's exactly what I've been developing for the last few weeks. A crossover between thw Windows' 8.1 start screen and the Xbox dashboard. No need for the Pin Steam nonsense, just right click on the exe, pin to XBStart and you are done. More info soon.

oomek,

I am very excited to see what you have been working on. It sounds like the perfect solution for bringing XBStart to Windows 10. To show my support I'll make sure to donate when the update comes out. Keep up the awesome work!

Edit: Will you be able to include the ability to customize icon/tile images in the launcher? OblyTile had this function for the Windows 8/8.1 start screen but it no longer works with 10. It would be great to have custom images for games and other apps within your launcher!

Edited by kdanderson1989

First off, I just wanted to say many thanks oomek for creating such a useful and reliable program for controlling 8.1 metro/modern apps and start screen.  I tried several other programs before xbstart, and yours was the most intuitive, simple, and reliable one yet.  It's a perfect complement to console-style gaming PCs like the Alienware Alpha.

However, there is one request I have.  Could you put in an option to have 'mouse mode on' be the default everywhere except the start screen?  I'm finding it much easier to use most of the metro/modern apps in mouse mode, and I'm constantly having to turn it back on because the mouse mode turns off again anytime you press the xbox button to go back to the start screen.

An option to have mouse mode on for all apps & desktop mode by default and modern mode only for start screen would be nice.