XBStart 2.1.9 stable - navigate Windows 8.1 with an Xbox controller

oomek

Is there any way to use this as a means to play Modern App games oomek?

Perhaps keyboard remapping or something since many 'Modern' games use WASD or cursor keys for directions etc.

Funny that this is exactly what Windows games need- a Microsoft controller ... Hmmm. Genius.

I wonder if the M$ clowns thought of this for their Windows 10 Xbox gaming/streaming mode..... or what ever it is.

Xbox is a poor excuse for a PC wired to a TV. I've always just wished Xbox games could run on a decent HTPC without hassle.

Originally the Xbox was a modified Pentium 3 anyway, and XMBC was the ducks guts. Yet those games were never 'allowed' to run on a regular PC.

Re market the Xbox controller and Kinnect devices with native drivers for Windows 10 and it would boom to new heights for Games and Apps.

cheers

Is there any way to use this as a means to play Modern App games oomek?

Perhaps keyboard remapping or something since many 'Modern' games use WASD or cursor keys for directions etc.

Funny that this is exactly what Windows games need- a Microsoft controller ... Hmmm. Genius.

I wonder if the M$ clowns thought of this for their Windows 10 Xbox gaming/streaming mode..... or what ever it is.

Xbox is a poor excuse for a PC wired to a TV. I've always just wished Xbox games could run on a decent HTPC without hassle.

Originally the Xbox was a modified Pentium 3 anyway, and XMBC was the ducks guts. Yet those games were never 'allowed' to run on a regular PC.

Re market the Xbox controller and Kinnect devices with native drivers for Windows 10 and it would boom to new heights for Games and Apps.

cheers

It's up to the game developer to implement a controller support. I'll think about this, but no promises.

Give me some examples of games which do not work with a gamepad.

Edited by oomek

First, thanks for the great app :)

And for my question...everything seemed to be working fine with controlling the start menu and the w8 apps.  But a couple of days ago, all of a sudden navigation no longer works in w8 apps.  I mean it sort of does.  For example, on Plex's main menu, I can navigate around and select (with the controller) items on Plex's home screen.  But as soon as I move from the home screen (IE the 'movies' section of the Plex app), navigation no longer works.  I can scroll with the left and right triggers, I can open the menu, but I can't select movies (it stays highlighted on the first selection, makes the Xbox cursor moving noise, but it doesn't actually highlight a new movie).  The same thing happens in the couple of other w8 apps I've tried.

I have this installed on two different systems, and I have the same exact problem on both PCs.

Any help is appreciated, and if you need more details or if I didn't explain it very well, let me know.

And for my question...everything seemed to be working fine with controlling the start menu and the w8 apps.  But a couple of days ago, all of a sudden navigation no longer works in w8 apps.  I mean it sort of does.  For example, on Plex's main menu, I can navigate around and select (with the controller) items on Plex's home screen.  But as soon as I move from the home screen (IE the 'movies' section of the Plex app), navigation no longer works.  I can scroll with the left and right triggers, I can open the menu, but I can't select movies (it stays highlighted on the first selection, makes the Xbox cursor moving noise, but it doesn't actually highlight a new movie).  The same thing happens in the couple of other w8 apps I've tried.

I have this installed on two different systems, and I have the same exact problem on both PCs.

Any help is appreciated, and if you need more details or if I didn't explain it very well, let me know.

Maybe some windows update messed it up. I'll check it tomorrow. What other apps are you having problems with?

Maybe some windows update messed it up. I'll check it tomorrow. What other apps are you having problems with?

Ok, thanks.  Netflix and Hyper for YouTube are the only other apps I've tried.  If it helps, since you said the controller is basically just acting as keyboard navigation, I tried to use the keyboard (arrow keys and enter/backspace) for navigation and had the same problem that I was having with the 360 controller.

Oh, in that case you have to contact the developer of the affected app and ask him/them to fix the keyboard navigation. Have you tried pressing the tab key? Maybe the focus has moved to some other ui element.

• 1 month later...

I've been using XBstart for a few months. It's a incredibly useful program. Much thanks for your excellent work, oomek. 

However I have a request if it's possible. 

Would it be possible in future revisions that there is a toggle option in the settings to turn off the Helpscreen from showing on start up every time Windows is loaded. Instead of having it pop up every time, but instead have the program still load and show in the taskbar, letting the user decide to show the Helpscreen if they need it or not.

The only reason I ask is, I figure if people get used to using the application for a long period of time they would already know what buttons to use, thus having the as a optional toggle, that way people can still use the Helpscreen if they need it, or turn it off so it doesn't pop up every time Windows is loaded if the user doesn't want to see it.

I have no idea if such a thing would be difficult to implement, but I figure I bring up the suggestion for the sake of user convenience in having the option to read the help or not.

Edited by OmegaDL50

I've been using XBstart for a few months. It's a incredibly useful program. Much thanks for your excellent work, oomek. 

However I have a request if it's possible. 

Would it be possible in future revisions that there is a toggle option in the settings to turn off the Helpscreen from showing on start up every time Windows is loaded. Instead of having it pop up every time, but instead have the program still load and show in the taskbar, letting the user decide to show the Helpscreen if they need it or not.

The only reason I ask is, I figure if people get used to using the application for a long period of time they would already know what buttons to use, thus having the as a optional toggle, that way people can still use the Helpscreen if they need it, or turn it off so it doesn't pop up every time Windows is loaded if the user doesn't want to see it.

I have no idea if such a thing would be difficult to implement, but I figure I bring up the suggestion for the sake of user convenience in having the option to read the help or not.

There is a toggle option on the help screen.

K28bqC2.png

If you don't see it it means you have an old version which doesn't scale well on high DPI settings.

Please redownload and reinstall the latest 2.1.9 version of XBStart.

Edited by oomek

Great work on this application.

I am having trouble installing it on 2 other computers.

I keep getting 'signing failed' on both computers for the last few days.

I am running on admin accounts, internet connection is enabled, but can't seem to find a solution.

Great work on this application.

I am having trouble installing it on 2 other computers.

I keep getting 'signing failed' on both computers for the last few days.

I am running on admin accounts, internet connection is enabled, but can't seem to find a solution.

Disable any active antivirus and make sure your system clock is synced properly, or change the timezone to utc for a time of installation.

Hey! Great App oomek!

Installed it to today and works like a charm. I would like to donate a little something but apparently your website is down or something.  :no:

Thanks!

Recently my free host provider is doing my head in. Uptime went from 99% to 5%.

I'm considering changing to a paid one, so any donation would be appreciated.

For the time beeing please use PayPal and my email address:

xbstart (at) gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks!

xbstart (at) gmail.com

Hi oomek, I had to register just to say thanks for your program.

By the way, I tried adding it as a service so I can use the controller to login to windows, but it doesn't do anything.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Thanks!

xbstart (at) gmail.com

Hi oomek, I had to register just to say thanks for your program.

By the way, I tried adding it as a service so I can use the controller to login to windows, but it doesn't do anything.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Im sorry, but XBStart won't work as a service. As a workaround I suggest you to skip the login screen using the netplwiz