XBStart 2.1.9 stable - navigate Windows 8.1 with an Xbox controller

oomek

A GREAT NEWS GUYS!

Thi is an email I've just received from a Steam's developers team memeber:

Hi Radek, with the most recent Steam client beta we have added a BigPictureInForeground registry DWORD under the Steam root. Its value is set to the PID of the current Steam process when Steam is running, 0 otherwise. So you should check that the PID specified by this key is actively running and then assume Steam will handle the guide button, otherwise you can have at it.

- Alfred

You may expect an XBStart update within a few days :)

Thank you for this awesome app. It works great and I would love to continue using it on my HTPC. However, I am running into a problem with the cursor going invisible. The only way I can get it to come back is by plugging in a regular mouse and unplugging it. Then I will go into steam or do other stuff and after a while I notice is disappears. Any suggestions. I am running a Windows 8.1 machine with a 2nd gen core i3, 4gb ram, and a hd 6970 video card. Idk what other info would help, but I love this software you made so much I had to create a account here and post so maybe you could help. I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for this awesome app. It works great and I would love to continue using it on my HTPC. However, I am running into a problem with the cursor going invisible. The only way I can get it to come back is by plugging in a regular mouse and unplugging it. Then I will go into steam or do other stuff and after a while I notice is disappears. Any suggestions. I am running a Windows 8.1 machine with a 2nd gen core i3, 4gb ram, and a hd 6970 video card. Idk what other info would help, but I love this software you made so much I had to create a account here and post so maybe you could help. I'd appreciate it.

Did you disable the mouse pointer hiding in the XBStart settings?

Yes I did. I do not know if it makes a difference that I am using a Xbox One controller instead of the 360 controller... It works just the same and I downloaded the Xbox One controller drivers from Microsoft. It works just fine in all the Steam Controller compatible games... all the shortcuts work with XBStart. It's just the mouse controller disappears everywhere even on the regular desktop. I'd be glad to donate if this problem could be fixed b/c other than that the software is great. 

zamardii12, on 08 Feb 2015 - 3:35 PM, said:

oomek, on 07 Feb 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

zamardii12, on 07 Feb 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

Yes I did. I do not know if it makes a difference that I am using a Xbox One controller instead of the 360 controller... It works just the same and I downloaded the Xbox One controller drivers from Microsoft. It works just fine in all the Steam Controller compatible games... all the shortcuts work with XBStart. It's just the mouse controller disappears everywhere even on the regular desktop. I'd be glad to donate if this problem could be fixed b/c other than that the software is great. 

I've tried to boot the system with the mouse unplugged and I can confirm, there is no mouse pointer on the screen. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the XBStart. It's a Windows 8 specific issue and it's like that by design. When Windows do not see the pointing device it disables the pointer. I'will try to find a workaround, but I cannot promise anything at the moment.

A GREAT NEWS GUYS!

Thi is an email I've just received from a Steam's developers team memeber:

Hi Radek, with the most recent Steam client beta we have added a BigPictureInForeground registry DWORD under the Steam root. Its value is set to the PID of the current Steam process when Steam is running, 0 otherwise. So you should check that the PID specified by this key is actively running and then assume Steam will handle the guide button, otherwise you can have at it.

- Alfred

You may expect an XBStart update within a few days :)

This is great news indeed. Can't wait for the next version of XBStart :)

Nice work! It's a great idea to control metro ui with xbox controller! Feels like a better xbox :) I have one question: Is there any chance, that I could control the netflix app with the xbox 360 controller? It would be soo nice! 

Nice work! It's a great idea to control metro ui with xbox controller! Feels like a better xbox :) I have one question: Is there any chance, that I could control the netflix app with the xbox 360 controller? It would be soo nice!

You can control any app which is controllable with the arrow keys enter and backspace. Just hold back & start within the app and confirm with the A button.

first, thanks for this great software! i can't wait until i get it to work so i can use the metro ui with the controller!

before i do that, i have a problem with: "signing failed" during installation.

i haven't xbox 360 accessories installed, nor do i have anti-virus. clean version of windows 8.1 except steam and games.

i have NET framework 4.5 and my user account is in the administrator group.

i tried, downloading and opening from the file explorer and still will not find signature. UAC pop-up for the setup executable has "unknown publisher" on it.

feel free to let me know if there is anything else i can check.

thanks!

hamza

first, thanks for this great software! i can't wait until i get it to work so i can use the metro ui with the controller!

before i do that, i have a problem with: "signing failed" during installation.

i haven't xbox 360 accessories installed, nor do i have anti-virus. clean version of windows 8.1 except steam and games.

i have NET framework 4.5 and my user account is in the administrator group.

i tried, downloading and opening from the file explorer and still will not find signature. UAC pop-up for the setup executable has "unknown publisher" on it.

feel free to let me know if there is anything else i can check.

thanks!

hamza

The signing procedure requires an internet connection. Maybe your firewall is blocking the Microsoft's signing server. Where do you live? Is your country firewalled by any chance?

In that case you have to use some european or american vpn to sign the exe. I'm sorry there is no other way as XBStart is a free app and I cannot afford a Verisign certificate for $300 a year.

incorrect time-zone setting in Windows date & time, caused invalid timestamp, caused error: 0x800b0101 for signtool.exe.

i set the machine clock to UTC, and offset the time-zone in date & time, then re-installed XBStart and that fixed the issue.

you have log files sent to your pm.

thanks

hamza

incorrect time-zone setting in Windows date & time, caused invalid timestamp, caused error: 0x800b0101 for signtool.exe.

i set the machine clock to UTC, and offset the time-zone in date & time, then re-installed XBStart and that fixed the issue.

you have log files sent to your pm.

thanks

hamza

Thats new :) Thanks, I'll have to add a timezone checks to the installer.