XBStart 2.1.9 stable - navigate Windows 8.1 with an Xbox controller

oomek

Hi all, I love this program and I downloaded the latest beta, but I have a problem.

How I can remove the help start screen on system startup?

Thanks and regards from Spain.

Just UNTICK "Show this window every time XBStart launches" on the help screen.

Hi all, I love this program and I downloaded the latest beta, but I have a problem.

How I can remove the help start screen on system startup?

Thanks and regards from Spain.

Just UNTICK "Show this window every time XBStart launches" on the help screen.

Thank you very much, having connected the computer to the tv lounge i could'n see that button

A greeting!.

Thank you very much for this app!

I just have a small favor to ask, can u plz add an option to hide the notification tray icon? My tray is already cluttered with different icons.

Edited by mbushnaq00

Some of you are getting an exception saying "Access denied" when launching on screen keyboard. I wish to hear from you when that happens, so I could fix it before I'll release the 2.0 final.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having some technical difficulties with my web host. You may encounter XBStart crashes during that time, so please disable an auto update for 24h. I've already fixed that bug, so XBStart will no longer crash when my website is down. You may expect a new beta as soon as dns servers will update to my new web host.

• 2 weeks later...

hello.. thanks for your great app.. i wonder in the future, this app can browse through all Metro based app? i really like the idea of browsing Facebook/etc using the xbox360

What do you mean? You can already navigate all the metro apps which support keyboard navigation. You just have to press back+start while in the app you want to control and confirm by pressing A.

i mean in the metro app.. not navigating only.. kinda like.. if in facebook app, the left analog will be mouse pointer etc...

Maybe, I'll think about it, but first I need to figure out how to fix what Microsoft broke in the recent updates. Now to make the on screen keyboard able to receive clicks from the gamepad xbstart needs to be run as admin, otherwise only mouse movement is functional. At the same time Microsoft blocked the autorun in the registry of any exe file which has run as administrator ticked in properties. Buggers...

ok, no put the source into a version control system and do regular backups.

Its safe now on my ssd, hdd, dropbox and onedrive, so no worries, I won't make that mistake again.

Edited by oomek

Dear oomek,

Firstly, thank you for all your hard work and effort in helping reform Windows 8 as a gaming system with full gamepad support.

Secondly, I have a few suggestions which could possibly help to further improve your great software.

1) Hide mouse cursor on metro start screen when using gamepad. There is a program called nomousy which when run with command -hide hides the cursor, and when rerun shows it agian. Perhaps a script that when click the guide button to metro hides the mouse cursor then when leaving reshows it.

2) A button to bring up touch keyboard in metro or activated apps (not sure its there's a way to call the touch keyboard, but its more elegant that the on-screen keyboard in any case.

3) Adding an option to adjust mouse sensitivity for the mouse mode.

Finally, perhaps add additional buttons to the keymap could improve the use of xbstart over several application including games and emulators. I have included for your convenience a defined keymap, I have spent much time trying to include as much as possible without breaking the use of the gamepad in supported apps. You'll find I kept many of your button configs as they were no doubt the most optimal choice.

Please Check it out and let me know what you think. Looking forward to hearing from you and hope you can consider some of my suggestions. Keep up the great work!

http://s1.postimg.org/xl3etthfj/MAP.png

• 3 weeks later...

XBStart Version 2.1 Beta 1 released for testing

If you are interested in beta testing send me a private message.

• Mouse control added (press Back + Left Stick)
    A - Left Button
    B - Right Button
    X - Middle Button
    Y - Alt + F4
    L/R Bumper - Alt + Tab (window selector)

Right Stick - Volume control
  • L/R Trigger - mouse wheel
  • Mouse pointer speed adjustable in settings
  • Assignable global buttons added (Back + ABXY)
  • Active apps manager added
  • Many bug fixes
Edited by oomek

• 2 weeks later...