Remote Desktop issues...

r37ribution

I just installed my copy of the windows xp pro with all the critical updates and reccomended except for the advanced netowrking pack and .NET framework. I added lines to my winnt.sif to auto enable Remote Desktop by default on install. but now when i goto connect to my computer it displays my logon prompt: i type in user name and pw and it just goes blank and the RD connection is closed! anyone had this issue at all?

and YES i have restarted my computer....

No problems with remote desktop here after using XPCreate to integrate all the hotfixes etc.. into my install. Did you by chance do any reducing of the source CD that may have gotten rid of important system files?

Blyster

my source cd is a XP PRO SP1 (not a) cd and i use used it on all my computers before i slipstreamed any hotfixes...nope nothing was removed from the cd.

I unchecked [applied] and then rechecked [applied] remote desktop and restarted this morning, but now my computer wont even pull up the windows default http page saying "site under construction" (whereas before it did). i restarted as i was walking out the door this morning so maybe it didnt restart successfully? ill have someone check it here in a minute...

FIXED!!!

ok im not sure what fixed it, here is what i did:

I unchecked[applied] and rechecked[applied] remote desktop

I then ran network setup whizard and choose my porper "local area connection X" as i have 2 network cards...

I restarted...

the reason i could not connect to my computer after this was because network setup whizard changed my IP to DHCP

so i called home and had my dad change it back to static and reconfigured the ip address settings

and voila - it worked!

not sure if there is a bug in the xp install that doesnt really change all the settings needed for remote desktop or if i needed to run network setup whizard...but this shouldnt be needed because before i reinstalled i could connect to my RD thru both network connections (as i have to cable modems, ones uncapped :) )

newayz it works....im gonna go slipstream a SP2 RC1 installation now...ill post results in a lil bit

@r37ribution: Seems kind of convoluted, but if it works, it works! And don't forget, SP2 is still beta. If MS ain't going to support it, I'm sure not! However, the clock is ticking on RTW, so if anyone is experiencing SP2 problems, they should really post in the MS Newsgroups.

I'm telling you, for the sake of everyone, if you find real bugs, post in the public SP2 newsgroups. You're reports will be heeded, and possibly prevent bugs from getting to manufacturing. I would, but damned if I'm going to run beta software on my production system, and time to test is all too rare these days.

i have yet to even tinker around with the OS as of yet im simply referring to all the errors (missing files) you get from an integrated SP2 installation CD. and i know it has nothing to do with xpcreate because i slipstreamed it into my disc using the command line option of the sp2 setup file...these most certainly should be obvious as i have seen these errors in other msfn forums.

Odd. I XPCREATED my XP SP2 RC1 install, and it went smooth as a ... I have only used it for a total of about an hour other than that, and the only error I found was in Windows Update V5. Then again, it's not like I installed any software. Still, I have to stress the newsgroups thing. There are a few people that are doing nothing but monitoring those groups, and if you get a few people with the same symptoms, you can be sure to draw some attention. Without feeling sorry for MS, there is just no way they can test all the real scenarios, but with a large test base, lots of errors can be found. Maybe that is why I've been keeping my own test base small ...